Tupolev Tu-154 'S7 Siberia Airlines'

After finishing my Zvezda 787 I decided to build another Zvezda kit as I am pretty satisfied with their airliner kits.

siberian1.jpg

The kit includes decals for two Aeroflot colour schemes: the current one and an early Soviet era colour scheme. Besides there are decals for the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center, and the kit includes additional transparent windows which can be placed in the fuselage for this version after cutting some gaps.

siberian2.jpg

The kit itself has very nice engraved surface details and an S-shaped inlet channel for the #2 engine.

siberian4.jpg

I always wanted to build a model in the S7 Siberia Airlines colour scheme. It has a bright green/yellow (almost fluorescent) fuselage with a green belly and engines. TwoSix Models released a decal sheet for the Tu-154 in this colour scheme in a limited run of 100 sheets. The Aviation Megastore which is at about 30 minutes by car from my house had a few of these sheets in stock as well as the Zvezda Tu-154's so the decision to make one of these green aircraft was made quickly.

siberian3.jpg

The construction:

siberian6.jpg

siberian5.jpg

I airbrushed the fuselage using Humbrol lime green.

siberian7.jpg

Initially I really liked how it turned out as this paint was very easy to apply, even without a primer on the bare grey plastic of the kit. But quickly the colour started to bother me as it was too dark and not the right colour at all. At that time I already painted the green belly and the aluminium anti-ice area on the wings and engines.

siberian8.jpg

I decided I could not live with this colour so I masked the belly and silver areas and mixed a new paint for the fuselage using Revell fluorescent yellow as a basis. This paint tends to make spider webs when you want to airbrush it so I had to make it very thin. This made it necessary to apply a primer before airbrushing the new colour. I chose for an aluminium primer

siberian9.jpg

After all I like how the new colour turned out. The photograph does not depict exactly the right colour but it is close and I think it is much more accurate than my first attempt. :)

siberian10.jpg

greets,

Jelle :wave:

Thanks both! :)

I made some progression last days. This build goes quicker than usual for me. I bought it on friday the 8th of July and now I'm already in the finishing stage. Long live the summer holidays :)

The kit's landing gear is nicely moulded but wrong. The shock strut's oleo's are fully extended while they have to be compressed while on the ground. I have read Zvezda used a Tu-154 with its engines removed for reference, which had extended oleo's as a result of the relative low weight.. I chose not to improve it as the gear legs already are quite thin and fragile and cutting up the oleo's will not make that better.

siberian11.jpg

The colour is very hard to photograph. The next picture comes quite close but is still darker than IRL. I used a very quick shutter time while the model was in bright sunlight. I almost had to put on sunglasses as the paint is so bright! B) Too bad I can't photograph it right..

siberian13.jpg

siberian12.jpg

Next step is to apply quite a lot of weathering and some small details such as antennae, pitot tubes etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh now that is nice!!! Great build and thanks for sharing the details about the paint you used. I have these decals for the 154 but I've been put off building it until I found a good colour.

Beautiful job! :wub:

Vinny :thumbsup:

Great job Jelle!!!

I've got the Zvezda model next to come out of the stash! Your build is really motivating, makes me wanna jump all over my TU-154 (will make it Aeroflot "old" livery).

Best regards

Eduardo

Congrats for that S7 Tup! I´m building that one since several months ago, but I used Model Master´s Sublime Green 2767 for the light green, but when dried up, I felt it was very greenish and by the pics in places like A.net, I saw that it needed to be a green more yellowish. I wonder, did u used Revell fluorescent yellow mixed with ur Humbrol Lime green and with what proportion mix? For the belly dark green, which colour did u chose? Thanks.

dsc02287a.jpg

dsc02289og.jpg

dsc02286v.jpg