Worst fitting plastic kit you've ever built or tried to build ?

I am thinking perhaps an idea to get a poll on the worst kits ever produced?

just an example this short list

Airfix

AMT/ERTL

ESCI F-100 1/48

Frog F-100 1/72

Hasegawa F-100 identical to Frog

ICM

Italeri F-22

F/A-18

Lindberg Mig-31

Monogram

Revell Old F-4 series 1/72 & 1/32 Old issue SR-71

Top Master SU-22

Zhendefu EF-111

Edited by Eric2020

Glencoe 1/81 scale Curtis Condor.

Very old kit. A pilot/A@P buddy of mine had one laying around and asked me to build it for him. It's been a few years so I forgot all of the gory details, but that kit was a PAIN!

I did manage to make it look good but it took some major surgery

That one is a classic PITA. It was orginally tooled about 1953 by ITC and it was on floats.

When Glencoe released it, it was retooled as a land plane but the retooling job was done very

very badly! I really think all you can do is build it with the landing gear retracted.

That being said, I saw one a number of years ago somewhere that was built by someone with a lot

more skills that I have...it was a beauty!

For me it was the Czechmodel Yak-15, LTD Yak-9, Special Hobby IL-10 and Amodel La-250. I have to agree with the posters about the Monogram F-106. It is the worst fitting kit from them I have ever built.

Also, the OEZ Mig-21. I tried to build one of those awful things twice and gave up both times.

Edited by Tyronesdaddy

I think the worst fitting kits for me are the Revell 1/72 SR-71...

I have to agree that this one is a real turd!

Guess it depends on the kit; each boxes are known to be either sharp in quality or crude.

Worked on it before and I agree it was a pain, but with a little patience and a lot of effort the result speaks for itself.

Modelpics108.jpg

Edited by Jack Bogart

Its a toss up.

1. The Hawk/Testors P-47

2. The ESCI Alpha Jet

Both are canines extraordinaire and both were stripped - then binned. Fortunately other options exist, although the Alpha Jet is still in the realm of the esoteric.

The FM 1/48 Bell X-2!

To be brutally honest...it wasn't even close! The fuselage halves didn't line up. When the wings were joined to the fuselage, the wing chord was too big for the model and hung below the fuselage.

I threw it away without ever putting glue to it. I could see that it was going to be a nightmare. The only thing good about the kit was the decals. Those got saved.

Edited by SteveV22FE

I have built the Revell SR-71 and it went together without a problem in about 3 days it was actually a dream. That being said the Academy CH-53E I have gotten ahold of is being a nightmare. I actually stopped building it about a year ago because I was so mad at it I have barely even braught it back out. Im not sure if a bad kit got away from quality control or not but this kit makes me angry. I had it almost 50% done, gluing the fuselage halves together when I noticed about a 1/3 of an inch gap that I couldnt close up on the top side of the fuselage almost the whole length of the model. I had to take the top part of the interior and shave almost a 1/4 inch off of it to make it go together. Everything still seems to line up correctly but im sure its going to be noticable. I payed like 60 bucks for this model From Acedemy and am not really impressed. Overall the rest of the model seems to be going along pretty well but when you pay that much for a model you kind of have high expectations.

The Takara 1/100 F-8 from the mid 1980's is my choice. The fuselage halves didn't just have problems lining up - they were literally different diameters. It was like the left hand half was 1/100 and the right 1/72. Utterly unbuildable. This was the first model I threw away unfinished.

Roden Heinkel 111c

Valom Handley Page Hampden/Hereford

AML Goppingen Go-9

Special Hobby Sack Sa-6

Any of the above, but whether that is due to poor kits, or just my poor modelling skills....I still have the kits in various stages of construction, except the Go-9, so maybe, one day....

Anything from Beechnut comes to mind.

I have to say I'm shocked that this thread has gotten this far without the Williams Brothers infamous B-10 being mentioned. It was part of the beginning of ARC in its' own way.

Alvis 3.1

• 4 weeks later...

1) Italeri's 1/72 B-52 - Opinions on this kit seem to differ, but the one I attempted was a complete dog, wing root's you could drive a bus through, engine pylons that didn't match the wings, crew hatches that were too small........... it's the only kit to date that I haven’t managed to finish!

2) AMT's XB-70 - the upper rear fuselage on this kit is just nasty!