F/A-18C "Hornet", VFA-81 "Sunliner", CV-60 Saratoga

Congratulations on another gem Yufei :worship:

Lovely finish on your Hornet.

Everything looks great but that undercarriage is astonishing. :thumbsup:

I think one of the things that makes your models stand out is your attention to detail. Taking the time to use many different colours on your AIM-9s etc, is a good example of that.

Little details in themselves but they all add up to make the whole model more visually interesting and appealing.

Thanks for taking the time to share your F-18 and give us an insight into your techniques.

Cheers,

:cheers:

Absolutely masterful work, Sir -you have demonstrated a rare skill in understanding how to determine what a model should look like, and then exactly how to make it happen! Wish I could do that better...

May I use your images to refer to during my on-going Legacy Hornet projects, please?

Thanks for your feedbacks!

Thanks for the info!

Would you mind informing me the resource of that info please?

EDIT:

I forgot about your thread from 2009...Mr Hull himself chimed in after I had posted on it. Quoted below:

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, I am not familiar with forums, hope this message finds its way. I found this by actually doing an unrelated search and then saw the questions posed. This may help. Spike and I were squadron mates in VFA-81 and were flying together the night he was shot down, not in specific formation, but all of us in 81 were in close proximity. My name was on the jet he was flying. On the other side of that jet was LCDR Steve Minnis, call sign "Ammo". I was a relatively senior LT. By the time we worked our way through the jets, senior names starting on the left side, 401, 402, 403, etc. my name was placed on the right side of 403. I was a maintenance officer, but not a department head. That is an LCDR job. I was only in charge of a specific portion of maintenance. During combat our collateral duties take a bit of a back seat as you can imagine we are preoccupied. Spike was a great man, and his story a tragic one.

If I don't respond to any additional replies it is simply because I do not normally check forums. Thanks to all for your interest in Spike and his legacy. There can surely be no better reason for putting together a model than one that commemorates a fine man such as Spike.

Barry "Skull" Hull

bwhull@sunliner.com

By the way, I retired from the Navy Reserves in Sept 2008 as a Commander and have now joined the ranks of those slimy civilians! (just kidding about the slimy part)

Your build looks great!

-Mike

Edited by Sunliner

Thanks for your comments, dudes!

It's my first time trying making a serious built of none-Soviet aircraft and it looks quite, well, unique among my other works indeed.

The design concept or style is totally different between West and East.

Really interesting indeed if you compare a Hornet with its competitor (to me) a Fulcrum

t

Congratulations on another gem Yufei :worship:

Lovely finish on your Hornet.

Everything looks great but that undercarriage is astonishing. :thumbsup:

I think one of the things that makes your models stand out is your attention to detail. Taking the time to use many different colours on your AIM-9s etc, is a good example of that.

Little details in themselves but they all add up to make the whole model more visually interesting and appealing.

Thanks for taking the time to share your F-18 and give us an insight into your techniques.

Cheers,

:cheers:

Thanks, Guy!

It's my shame to be honored by such a master as you.

I still cannot make my decision to start the 1/32 Su-27 because just so many details to be added and I can imagine how long the whole built would take.

A bit afraid to be honest. :)

Absolutely masterful work, Sir -you have demonstrated a rare skill in understanding how to determine what a model should look like, and then exactly how to make it happen! Wish I could do that better...

May I use your images to refer to during my on-going Legacy Hornet projects, please?

Of course you can buddy!

It's my honor!

And thanks for the feedback, Mike.

It's great to show a model work to a real pilot.

So do you have further info about the SEAD mission weapon set of Speicher's plane that night?

I'm planning to make a flight deck diorama by Flightpath accessories,

so I'll keep this thread updated later!

:beer4:

Yufei

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since last update because I'm quite busy with my 1/48 Su-27 canopy issuing things.

Now it's time to keep this bumped. :woot.gif:

To be honest, I think myself a bit too serious but this time it came again.

I just cannot resist that...

The Replic decal is very wrong for this VFA-81 bird, which I have already realized when I appied them.

But I have no backups so I had no choice but to use them.

Now coincidentally I found Techmod's VFA-81 cheap and most important, available here so I just grab one set.

The researching result of Techmod is so so (though much better than Replic ones), the elements I needed, the correct fonded "VFA-81" and black fonded "USS SARATOGA" were there.

So I just replaced these two elements only.

As for the others, wrong shaped Sunliner emblems and "AA" marks on tails, etc.

Besides, the decal is THICK and does not affect with any mark softer I have... :bandhead2:

53426728201109111747132233113934457_005.jpg

Wrong fonded Replic "VFA-81", especially the letter "A" is totally wrong.

53426728201109111747132233113934457_004.jpg

"USS SARATOGA" should be in BLACK, not grey!

53426728201109111747132233113934457_003.jpg

Remove them by masking tapes.

53426728201109111747132233113934457_002.jpg

New decal applied, but you can see this time the colour is wrong! :bandhead2:

Too dark, huh?

53426728201109111747132233113934457_001.jpg

Had no choice but to overspray it.

53426728201109111747132233113934457_000.jpg

Thanks for watching and more's coming! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Yufei