Wednesday is gonna be a tough day...

Came home just now and found my 15 1/2 year old Pancho (named for *that* Pancho...) lying in a puddle of vomit in the kitchen floor, unable to get herself up. She's always been pretty much bullet proof - a classic example of hybrid vigor. She's a 100% mutt - a south Florida street dog from the pound. Never the brightest bulb on the string, nor the sharpest tool in the shed, none the less she's the sweetest, goofiest, fluffiest old thing ever. At 60 lbs, having lived well into her 15th year, she's beaten all the odds, for sure. She's been getting progressively weaker, and is to the point where she can still get from one place to another, but she falls down, can't negotiate stairs, and then the issue today. Tears are already flowing between now and Wednesday when the vet comes for the final curtain. And of course one never "knows" that it's the right time, and undoubtedly she'll rally between now and then. But in my heart of hearts I know this will be the right thing for her, and that she's had a great life. Lots of treats, and lots of loving for the next couple of days...

In her prime, with her beloved stick..

PanchoStick.JPG

With a cow on her head...

PICT0033.JPG

My condolences J, I wouldn't trade places with you at this time for any reason. One of the best pets I've ever had; a pure bred Springer Spaniel; had to euthanized.

Edited by Angels49

I've had a couple of mutts in my life and that decision is the hardest any animal owner ever has to make.

If the average human being could muster up half the unconditional love that a dog can, this world would be an infinitely better place.

You have my deepest condolences, Jennings.

Hi Jennings, you have my deepest condolences, I went through this three times with my dogs My first when I was 22. I had to put my dog Zeus down. I had him 12yrs. He had spinal cancer. when I took him to the vet his back legs were giving out and when the vet took the x-rays he showed me how bad he was, but i took him home but a week later I had to put him down and I cried like a baby. My second was my mothers Collie Shane, his back legs gave out and he lost all control of his going to the bathroom he was only 10, and my last was my Shelby, I had her for 16yrs she was a mutt and strong as an ox but old age caught up to her and when I took her to the Vet to have her put to sleep I lost all my composure at the vet and could not even speak, just cried and cried, just remember all the good times you and your dog had together and treasure them as I do with all my dogs ;they know the love you have had for them believe me they know. Shelby has been gone now for over 2 yrs and I still cant bring myself to get another dog because I don't think I have the strength to do it all over again. Just try to be strong for your Pancho and you are doing the right thing for her, she will not suffer anymore, she is a very nice looking dog. Take care, Rob

Edited by 71roadrunner426

I a sorry to hear about that Jennings. It is never easy having to make that choice but sadly it is one all of us pet owners have to do at some point. She has had a great life and I am sure she appreciates the love and care you give her all the way til the end. My sincere condolances.

having lived well into her 15th year, she's beaten all the odds, for sure.

she's had a great life. Lots of treats, and lots of loving for the next couple of days...

I'm sure she has had plenty of loving during the time you were together, you helped her beat the odds.

Nothing anyone can say is going to make this Wednesday (or the next Wednesday when it comes) any easier.

Doing the right thing is usually the most difficult option.

If you two have had the opportunity to make a difference for the better in each others' lives than that is good. Ultimately it is probably all we can hope to achieve.

All the best Jennings, take care.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

I had an awesome Labrador named Jade who made it to 15 years and 4 months before we had to have her put down this past May. Found she had a lung tumor in March, she rallied and had about 5 really good weeks before her body just crashed. I cried like a baby and brushed her head as the vet gave her the shot.

Let yourself grieve but know that you did your best. I don't know you, but it seems like you gave your dog a great life. Many dogs don't get blessed with such a great owner.

Take care

-Mike

Edited by Sunliner

Jennings, so sorry to hear this about your clearly lovable friend.

It's a difficult thing to decide, especially when you understand the trust a pet puts in you. But there is a point where their quality of life suffers, and they they are in pain. You're making the right choice, but far from easy. Nothing you don't already know.

Had to do it with my cat Alice, who owned me. Still not an easy memory.

All the best,

Richard

Jennings, very sorry to hear about Pancho. Like others, I've been through the loss of a pet several times also. It's never easy, in part because pets become one of the family. Take solace in the fact that you gave her a loving home for many years and she lived a long, comfortable and healthy life where many from the pound don't.

Jennings my friend, I am so sorry.

Someone shared this with me the first time we went through this pain:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

All dogs go to heaven... We'll see them again!

Tom

But in my heart of hearts I know this will be the right thing for her, and that she's had a great life.

Jennings,

Sorry to hear, but unfortunately death is part of life as you know. You're doing the right thing, so let me share my experiences which may help a tiny bit.

I've had to bring in 3 pets to be put down, including my last Lab who also attained the age of 15, which is huge for a large dog like Pancho. My dog had been deaf for years and she lost control of her bowels about 8 months before I "did the deed", but the poops were dry, didn't make a mess and she was happy. One day I came home to 5 pools of urine and blood, so I knew that her time was up. Very sad, but a lot easier than my first Lab, who was put down at the age of only 6 due to hip dysplasia and the pain that came with it. Like your dog, the last Lab was a lot easier to bring in than the first one, because I didn't need to make the big decision. At 15, they made the tough decision for us.

One other bit of advice. If you haven't done it already, ask your Vet for the last appointment of the day when there isn't a bunch of other people hanging around with their pets. It makes things a lot easier if you don't have to face a big audience when you're all choked up.

Take Care,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Sorry to hear about Pancho. I feel your pain. I've lost my dog that was with me as a kid. It was one of the hardest things to go through. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

These things are never easy. While I now live in a apartment I always had pets as a kid. My mom had to put down her cat on Sunday. There is too much of this going around. Stay strong Jennings. Take the time you need to heal. THOSE who have never been pet owners don't know this. There not animals there part of the family...

Sorry for your impending loss....