Wednesday is gonna be a tough day...

Jennings my friend, I am so sorry.

Someone shared this with me the first time we went through this pain:

All dogs go to heaven... We'll see them again!

Tom

Man I hope that's true, I miss my three that have gone to a better place. I would love to reunite with them again, RIP Shane, Zeus and Shelby, I hope to see you all again, I miss you guys.

I've got 2 dogs and have found out that I'm allergic, but I can't bare to find them a new home. I don't know her condition, but I would postpone it as long as I could, nature will take it's course eventually. Very sorry to hear of your loss, dog's are like family and sometimes even better.

Jennings, I hope you can take comfort from this: http://www.petloss.com/dealing.htm

"Why do we do this? Because we loved our pets. Because we wish we could have done more, or wish we had not done what we did."

We struggle with this each and every day of our lives after we make a life-altering decision like this. Know that you do this for your pet out of love. Because you do not wish Pancho to suffer needlessly.

In 2009, I held my cat Sam as he passed away after he collapsed on the floor from a heart-attack; barely 3 weeks later, I had to make the decision to turn my father's life-support off (after he suffered a massive heart-attack)...and hold his hand as he passed away. So I know this decision is extremely hard on you. I know all too well the torment that you're feeling. Know that my heart goes out to you at this time, Jennings, my friend. And know that you are doing the right thing.

I wonder to this day if I turned my dad's life-support off too soon (even though the doctors said that whatever made my dad "my dad" was gone...)...I will remember that to my dying day. I'm crying as I'm writing this. I'm wondering if I did enough for Sam, my cat, yet I know deep down that there was nothing that I could have done.

Just remember your faithful companion, Jennings, remember the good times that you had with her. And when the time is right. Move on and give your love to another 4-legged companion.

Strength, my friend.

Edited by The_Animal

My sincere condolences Jennings,

I also recently had to put two of may cats, one my companion for 19 years, to sleep within 48hrs of each other. It hurts.

Regards

Edited by Kahunaminor

I wish you a truck load of strength. You're going to need it.

Had to put asleep my Bernese , six years ago , and in all my life I had nothing , nothing at all that hurt that much.

And please do not doubt for the right moment : nobody wants to see his dog suffer more than strictly needed. 16 years is quite a good life for a dog. I know you would give your right arm for another ten years , but things are going another way. You'll be confronted with moments that you think of your beloved dog , and it will hurt like hell.

Let it hurt : your dog was worth every second he spent with you.

Just try to avoid getting another companion too soon: let time go over it. The only way to remember Pancho the correct way.

My sincere condolences ,

Birdie , proud master of Fjork , the most beautifull Bernese mountain dog in the world, age five.

Thanks so much for the kind thoughts everybody. I truly appreciate it.

Dogs are truly amazing beings. Yesterday when I came home, she was at the door with her tail wagging. I really started to re-think the decision. A good friend who used to work at the vet clinic with me came over, and we talked for a couple of hours. The final outcome was that we agreed that it was probably best to go ahead, even though yesterday was a somewhat better day. I was really agonizing over "am I doing this too soon?" or not... But then...

We got up this morning and Pancho went outside as usual. She didn't want to come back up the two small stairs on the porch, so I had to help her up. I fixed her breakfast, and she took one sniff and turned around. She went back to bed, and hasn't been up since. I've been checking on her every few minutes. A bit ago, I was in the living room with Lulu when I heard her cry out. She was trying to change positions and got her back legs crossed up. I helped get her comfortable, and she's resting now.

But the amazing part is, she's told me so clearly that today is the right day for her. I've never seen her like this before, even on her worst day. It's absolutely clear that this is the right decision and the right day. I don't feel a whole lot better overall, but at least now I don't feel at all like I'm rushing things.

Thanks again for your thoughts folks...

J

Jennings,

Our condolances ...

It's a tough decision, but the right one...

We had to put Tommy, our 17 year old cat, down last week and its nothing you'd like to do, but it was the right decision.

Once again, our condolances.

Harald and Lizette

Edited by PhantomPhreakII

My ex f/mates parents had to recently euthenaise their box called Buster. Big dog full of muscle but age caught up on him. His head started to concave and he lost his ability to move around and bowel control went. It was very sad but he was an old dog, good dog though. I'll ball like a baby when I have to put my cat Teddy down, he's the most lovable thing anyone has ever met.

My condolences to you Jennings and to all of you you have had to recently do this.

It is a last final gift you can give your friend to save them from lingering pain.

I have had to say goodbye 3 times, and it should remind us all how important our friends and family 4 legged and 2 legged are in our lives.