• 2 months later...

Holy cow! My last update was in October? YIKES! Well, I'm here to tell you that work continues on my Mustang. I am committed to getting it done by the deadline...

OK, so I contacted the vendor about the bad decals, and I got a new set. I was too lazy to paint the invasion stripes, so I figured the decals would save me some time. WRONG! I was able to salvage most of the original sheet using liquid decal film. Those I couldn't save I took from the replacement sheet. As much as I trimmed and tried, I couldn't get the decals to fit or snuggle down. I eventually ended up pulling off all the stripes. Problem was, the decals and the setting solutions had damaged the underlying Alclad. The finished ended up all pockmarked and pitted. Further, where the decals were especially stubborn, I ended up scarring the paint while trying to lift or scrape the sticky decals. Anyway, long story short, I ended up having to sand down the wings and fuse, and repaint the Alclad. In the end, I decided on painting on some black ID bands.

DSC08170.jpg

DSC08169.jpg

Also, I noticed that the checkers on the nose were really bright. The yellow was almost like a chrome yellow, and the red had a distinct orange tint to it. I ended up having to mix my own colors, but I think I got the spinner to match the checker band.

DSC08166.jpg

Anyway, as I always say, progress, no matter how slow, is still progress. I'm crawling towards the finish line, but you can bet I'll get there.

Feel free to drop you two cents in the bucket on your way out. I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Cheers!

-O

• 2 weeks later...

It's done! (Told you I'd get it finished by the deadline.)

Anyway, here are a few pix. I'll get some better shots when I have some time.

So, here are some overall shots...

DSC08234.jpg

DSC08235.jpg

DSC08232.jpg

DSC08231.jpg

Some details...

DSC08233.jpg

DSC08238.jpg

DSC08239.jpg

DSC08240.jpg

DSC08243.jpg

DSC08241.jpg

Thanks for lookin'. Please feel free to drop your two cents in the bucket on the way out.

Cheers!

-O

Edited by oortiz10

Thanks for the kudos everyone. It was a fun build; glad you like it!

How did you do the peeling paint effect on the ID stripes?

mec011, I did the chipping on the stripes the same way it would happen in the real world. After I had the Alclad all nice and dry, I sprayed my stripes using several fine mist coats. Once they were dry, I used a curved blade in my Xacto knife and carefully scraped away the black. Alclad is pretty tough stuff and stood up to the scraping well. The trick is to use light coats of the stripe color so that it scratches away from the undercoat easily.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks for lookin' everybody!

Cheers,

-O

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

...How did you paint your checkers and stripe on the spinner??

Thanks TG!

The checkers are actually decals. Since I built the F-51 (Korean War) version, I used some old Superscale checkers. I needed to use two sets laid over each other because they were a little translucent. As far as the spinner goes, I first painted the spinner with Floquil's Bright Silver. Once that cured, I painted the whole thing with Tamiya's acrylic yellow. After that was totally dry, I used a strip of electrical tape to mask the yellow, then sprayed some enamel red. I don't remember the exact colors, but if you're interested, I can look 'em up. I needed to spray the Bright Silver first in order to get the final red and yellow shades I needed.

Sorry I took so long to respond, but I'm back in school and things have been so busy that I haven't had much time to do much of anything.

Again, thanks for looking and thanks for the kudos!

Cheers,

-O