I started this in 2008. Yep, I build that slow, and this is the first model I've finished since 2009. Of course, I've started about a dozen different models in that timeframe!

This is the Tamiya F-4EJ modified into a late-model ARN-101/DMAS F-4E as used by the 4485th Test Squadron at Eglin AFB, Florida, just prior to retirement in October 1990. It is now a QF-4E and painted in gorgeous Heritage Flight colors. It's also one of the QF-4s I flew at Holloman in April (a future project!). I need to stick on the two CATM-65s and it'll be complete.

4485_1_JMelampy.jpg

4485_2_JMelampy.jpg

4485_3_JMelampy.jpg

4485_4_JMelampy.jpg

4485_5_JMelampy.jpg

It's not my best work but, frankly, I'm glad it's over. I began to rush it towards the end, and I think it's apparent in some places.

4485_7_JMelampy.jpg

4485_8_JMelampy.jpg

4485_9_JMelampy.jpg

4485_10_Jmelampy.jpg

4485TS_6_JMelampy.jpg

On the shelf with the other 32nd beasts.

F-4s_1.jpg

Great looking F-4, Jake. The finish is particularly well done, looks used, but not neglected (love the looks of the late model Phantoms). I can't see any issues from this side of the monitor.

Cheers,

Alby

PS- That Wild Weasel really looks good too!

Congrat's Jake on finally getting this great looking bird done! I really like your work on the titanium panels and burner cans. :thumbsup:

Now a question:

Is there supposed to be red painted on the sides of the ailerons or was that deleted with the newer grey paint jobs? I'm doing a bit of a newer F-4E myself right now and I want to make sure I get this detail right. Thx

Cool build, Jake.

Can I ask, what's that little "wart" under the gun barrel? And what did you use to convert the hard wing F-4EJ kit into a slatted wing one?

hey, thanks guys! I'm awfully glad it's over, and I really tended to rush it and get impatient these past few weeks. Most of the work I did towards the end was in the canopies and around the engines. Lots of careless mistakes in these areas, but it looks OK from a few feet away!

Is there supposed to be red painted on the sides of the ailerons or was that deleted with the newer grey paint jobs? I'm doing a bit of a newer F-4E myself right now and I want to make sure I get this detail right. Thx

D'oh!! Chuck, I have no excuse other than in my impatience I forgot to paint those! Every jet I've ever seen had the edges painted red. I simply forgot about them.

The only critique I have is that your 'weasel looks a bit dusty! :rolleyes:

Hehe. Yeah, that poor Weasel has been through a lot. I actually built it in 2002. It's on the site here somewhere in the Gallery. I cringe at my work back then, but it does look impressive on the shelf (from a few feet away!). Despite the dust!

Can I ask, what's that little "wart" under the gun barrel? And what did you use to convert the hard wing F-4EJ kit into a slatted wing one?

The bump behind the gun muzzle is one of the range telemetry antennas unique to the Eglin test jets. They're still used on many of the Eglin Vipers on the leading edge of the vertical stabs. There are also several other orange/white antennas sprouting up around the airframe if you look closely on this Phantom. For the slats, I used the Revell F-4E as a parts donor. It took a lot of sanding, rescribing, sanding, and more rescribing, but it eventually worked out.

VERY nice Jake - when will your F-15C and F-4E be done? :)

the F-15C is 98% done, and the F-4D will be finished later this year. I hope!

Thanks again for looking guys!

Edited by jmel

Don't know so much about the gray F-4s, I'd left fighters for mother MAC (C-130Es and C-141Bs) by the time they started painting them gray. But when I worked on them in SEA white belly, SEA wraparound and Euro-1 quite a few F-4s didn't have any red on the aileron or flap edges.

Jake, your model is absolutely fabulous. I've really been hesitating to point out the only inaccuracy I've noticed, as it's so absolutely minor and nit-picking I'll bet no one here would ever pick up on it. But since this is Critique Corner...

The intake at the base of the fin was changed on F-4Es, Fs, J's and of course Gs. Here's an F-4C I photographed on display at Volk Field, Wisconsin followed by a 57 FIS F-4E I photographed at Ramstein for comparison:

F-4Cverticalfin1.jpg

F-4Etail.jpg

I'll go through my photos sometime to see what I can find on red edges on airlerons on Hill Gray jets, but for now here's one that might be somewhat pertinent:

Photo courtesy of Ben Brown:

F-4E_outerwing-1.jpg

Scott Wilson

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Thanks again, guys!! I appreciate all the kind words. I'd forgotten how nice it is to actually complete a model!

Jake, your model is absolutely fabulous. I've really been hesitating to point out the only inaccuracy I've noticed, as it's so absolutely minor and nit-picking I'll bet no one here would ever pick up on it. But since this is Critique Corner...

The intake at the base of the fin was changed on F-4Es, Fs, J's and of course Gs.

Well, Scott, that's what I get for not looking more closely at my own references. I specifically remember now having a friend climb up to take a pic of the newer inlet an on F-4F for The Phantom Guide. Sheesh, what an easy fix that would have been. Thanks for pointing it out. I can quickly fix that. Regarding the wings, this specific Phantom did indeed have the red outline on the flaps. I'll have to fix that, too, thanks to Chuck! :P

Love your work, Jake. Wish you would show us more!

Wish I could build more!!

It looks great.In the process of doint two Phantoms right now.A RF-4C and F-4E.How did you make the ARN 101 antenna.?having trouble making one in 1/32 scale.

the LORAN antenna is a really simple shape. As long as you have good references, it's a pretty easy thing to shape up. I used thin sheet plastic for the base, then thicker plastic for the raised portion. Just cut and sand to shape. I had one from the old Cutting Edge set, but it's a little too small.

Phantom did indeed have the red outline on the flaps. I'll have to fix that, too, thanks to Chuck! :P

Hey Buddy, the only reason I asked is that:

1) I actually was curious about the flap color and wanted the answer and, more importantly,

2) If you screwed up, it was a very easy fix! :whistle:

I still think that rear area is awesome! :thumbsup:

Jake's big F-4E is without a doubt one of the very best Phantom models I've ever seen. Chuck is right that Jake nailed the bare metal and soot of the exhaust area. It looks just like the real jet. Jake's beacon antenna on Door 19 behind the rear cockpit is also well done, most models don't get that one right.

I did spot a couple more easily rectified nits:

The inboard end of the inboard slat panel lines on the model are representative of a non-slatted jet. Compare to this photo I took of a 57 FIS F-4E:

57FISwingScottRWilson.jpg

The rear of each wingtip should have lights, red on the left and dark blue-green on the right just like the nav lights on the fronts of the wingtips, that are used for formation flying at night:

Scan910.jpg

Jake, too late for your book but late last year I was able to get some fairly good photos of the PC1 and PC2 hydraulic reservoirs in the Collings F-4D:

EAA2-28-2010010a.jpg

EAA2-28-2010011a.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks great Jake........... in addition to the great books you give us.

Rodney

Yeah it does look very very good, but he cheated he has great refs to work from :whistle: (just some chain yankin Jake :D ........ very fine job :thumbsup: .