Wg Cmdr Bobby Gibbes RAAF 80 Wing Mk.VIII Spitfire

As the heading states, I'm doing the recent Tamiya Mk.VIII Spitfire release in the markings of RAAF Wing Commander Bobby Gibbes whilst with No. 80 Squadron, Morotai Island 1945.

DSC05186.jpg

DSC05187.jpg

At this stage I have done some preliminary painting of interior green on the cockpit parts and whilst waiting for them to dry just couldn't help myself to put together the 'Mighty Merlin'

DSC05188.jpg

Should have some more for you guys come the weekend as I put the cockpit together. If anyone has built this kit is there any tips as I have heard that the cowlings don't fit properly with the magnets.

Regards

Andrew :cop:

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Cool

im not a big spitfire fan but that scheme looks awesome i might have to get one of those kits... Plus you get a mouse pad!!

Cheers

Neo

• 2 weeks later...

Update as of 30/7/11

DSC05200.jpg

DSC05201.jpg

DSC05202.jpg

I need to touch up the silver in the fuselage as I ripped the tape off to quickly and pulled up some paint and also touch up the interior green on the instrument panel when my airbrush had a black splatter attack however, I don't think you'll be able to see this too much when done.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be to anxious Blunce, there's a lot to this kit. The Merlin alone was almost 30 individual pieces and yet it is not finished. Here's some progress though. I have dry brushed the inside of the fuselage around the cockpit area and touched a couple of things up. The main instrument panel is together as well as the seat which now has to be painted before adding the PE seat belts supplied in the kit. I hope you like how it looks. Tamiya got this right so far.

DSC05227.jpg

DSC05228.jpg

Regards

Andrew

Some more cockpit work for you guys. The seat is painted and mounted on the armour plate which is PE supplied with the kit and then everything is dry fitted. Stil need to add seat belts to the seat obviously. These are supplied as P/E in the kit. Hope you like the next stage. Sorry about the shoddy photography but you'll get the idea.

DSC05238.jpg

DSC05239.jpg

DSC05240.jpg

Regards

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Lower seat belts painted and added to the seat (Just need to paint the eyelets) and the seat frame has been glued together.

DSC05252.jpg

I have done the port side internal wall instruments but just need to dry brush these

DSC05253.jpg

Dry fitting of the wall instruments to the cockpit frame. Nice tight fit too :thumbsup:

DSC05254.jpg

Next will be the starboard side wall instruments and the main harness then its into the fuselage! :woot.gif:

I hope you like the progress?

Regards

Thanks Neo and Blunce for your comments. Here's another update which should impress.......I hope so anyway.

DSC05282.jpg

Full harness now fitted

DSC05283.jpg

Starboard wall instruments dry fitted in place

DSC05284.jpg

Overhead view of the cockpit area

DSC05286.jpg

The fit of the cockpit is so good that I haven't used any glue to fit it before joining

DSC05285.jpg

The vertical tail dry fitted in place

You can see by the instructions how complex this kit is.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

The presure is on now that I have had a bit of a hiatus from the Spit and have done a couple of quick builds (RAN A4-G Skyhawk and a couple of Egg planes-display case) as I have been commissioned to build four RAAF CAC Sabres (3 x 1/48, 1 x 1/32) so I need to get this done. So, tonight I built up the tail planes, rear tail wheel, main planes, wing tips (dry fitted at this stage) and the coolers. I hope to have most of this completed tomorrow night so I can start fitting the Merlin onto the fuselage. I hope you like the update.

DSC05490.jpg

DSC05491.jpg

DSC05492.jpg

DSC05493.jpg

Regards

Well it's time to make magic with the Merlin and see if we can get it fitted correctly as I have heard some have had issues with the upper cowling not fitting correctly. I am starting to think that there may be paint on by Friday with luck.

Firstly the Merlin itself was dry brushed before it was added to the basic frame work. I'm going to hit with some smoke to give it depth and maybe some umber for dirt as operating in the Australian outback and island hopping would've caused these Tropically used spits to get a tad dirtyDSC05494.jpg

DSC05495.jpg

DSC05496.jpg

Dry fitted to the fuselage to see how things look

DSC05497.jpg

Then the rest of the tanks, coolers and framework were attached

DSC05498.jpg

DSC05499.jpg

Then the cowlings were tested with their magnetic hold and whala! The gap at the front will close when locked in by the propellor later.

DSC05500.jpg

DSC05501.jpg

Regards

Edited by Andrew Doppel

Cheers Dirk,

Last nights work included the ailerons and inserting them, the flaps and undercarriage legs so it now actually sits as well as some other little bits and pieces. I was too tired in the end to take pics but I should have some for you tonight when I can almost say the actual build will be finished. Stand by.

Regards