1993 and 1996 Dutchess County Air Show photos

I have some old pictures I thought I would share on the board today. Back in the 1990s, the Dutchess County Airport used to hold air shows every year, but for some reason unknown to me they don't anymore. We tried several times to get in, but the only one we ever actually got in to was the 1993 show. I was 9 years old at the time, and my mom took these pictures. I wish they still did them, I would love to take all kinds of photos, and with my digital camera having 12x zoom, the in flight pictures would be a lot closer!

I'm new to airplanes and I can't ID what they are, or what squadron or whatever other pertinent info goes to each plane. I would not mind captions of what planes are what, I figure I will learn that eventually.

1993AirShow12400-vi.jpg

1993AirShow12401-vi.jpg

In this photo, the very bottom left is the back of my head, and that's my dad in the dark blue uniform standing under the engine.

1993AirShow12402-vi.jpg

That's me in front of the plane. I ruined a lot of pictures by being in them!

1993AirShow12403-vi.jpg

I don't know if this is an actual battle graphic or not, I know they did some interesting designs in WWI!

1993AirShow12404-vi.jpg

Two planes take off in sync.

1993AirShow12405-vi.jpg

My dad and I looking at parked planes

1993AirShow12406-vi.jpg

Copter in flight...the white blobs are not UFOs or anything, lol.

1993AirShow12409-vi.jpg

1993AirShow12410-vi.jpg

The only time in my life I've ever been in an airplane. What kind of plane is it? I remember how small it was inside, I don't think I'd fit in a warplane anymore.

1993AirShow12412-vi.jpg

1993AirShow12413-vi.jpg

1993AirShow12414-vi.jpg

1993AirShow12415-vi.jpg

There are slightly larger versions of the pictures here, as well as a couple non-aircraft related as well.

http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/nature_shots_and_trips/air-show-1993/

In 1996, we tried again to get into the show, but were unable to. We did discover, however, that we could see the planes flying from the Caldor parking lot, where we parked and took all these pictures. Many of the shots are simply silhouttes, and there are 41 of them, I'm not going to post them all, but I will post the best and a link to the rest. These, too, were taken by my mom. It remains the only time I've seen military planes flying in formation in person.

1996AirShow01-vi.jpg

1996AirShow03-vi.jpg

I love this shot!

1996AirShow04-vi.jpg

1996AirShow09-vi.jpg

1996AirShow13-vi.jpg

1996AirShow18-vi.jpg

I've chosen this photo as my avitar picture here on the forum

1996AirShow38-vi.jpg

At the very end of the day, a modern fighter went up, and did some stunt flying. I'll never forget it, it was incredible to see and hear this jet. I don't know what kind it it, and it's the only time I've ever seen one of these modern fighters in person. I'd love to be able to find out which plane that was, and build a model of it. The exact plane that was at this airshow, not just any plane of this type. I don't know if that's possible, even. We watched his entire routine, which ended the show, and then we watched the plane dissapear to the west, and then waited almost 20 minutes hoping it would come back. It didn't.

1996AirShow40-vi.jpg

1996AirShow41-vi.jpg

1996AirShow42-vi.jpg

Here's the link to the rest of the photos, as well as the ones I shared on the board- http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/nature_shots_and_trips/air-show-1996/

Thanks for looking, that's 90% of my in person experiences with planes!

Billy-

Thanks so much for sharing these! It makes me feel the joy of my first airshow when I was 11 - 1981's Cleveland National Airshow.

The plane you are in the gun blister of is a PBY Catalina all right. I have toured the very same one, probably about the same time or earlier than you did. No photos to share of that one, though!

First post:

Pic 1 and 2 are of a C-47 Dakota in Canadian markings.

Pic 3 is a B-25J Mitchell

Pic 4 is a P-51 Mustang

Pic 5, no idea, some (replica?) WW1 biplane fighter in german markings

Pic 6, no idea, a bit hard to see

Pic 7, a bunch of T-6 Texans in various markings

Pic 8, a Bell JetRanger

Second post:

Pic 1, the red/white plane is a Yakovlev Yak-52, the other one looks like a L-5 Sentinel to me, but I'm not sure.

Pic 2, like the others said, a PBY Catalina indeed.

Pics 3 till 5, no idea, but it might be those T-6 Texans again.

Third post:

Pic 1, a B-17 Flying Fortress

Pic 2, a B-24 Liberator

Pic 3, B-17 again

Pic 4, the B-24 again, with a P-51

Pic 5, some dots, no idea what kind of dots :)

Pic 6, not sure, but it could be a T-34 Mentor

Pic 7, the B-17, B-24 and 2 P-51's

Fourth post:

Like said before, the F-14 Tomcat

Hope this helps.

Billy;

Thw WWI aircraft is a replica of a Fokker D.VII in the markings of Jasta 65, flown by Gefreiter Wilhelm Scheutzel. The markings depict the Grimm's Fairy Tale of the Seven Swabians, and, yes, they are at least approximately historically accurate.

http://app.ecwid.com/image/3271260?ownerid=166153

http://www.flightlinegraphics.com/projects/gtm/fokker.d.VII/images/d.vii_artwork_stbd.jpg

Phil