archybean Posted July 21, 2011 Share Posted July 21, 2011 (edited) Well, I was hoping I could get this done in time for the 50th anniversary of LB7, but that wasn't going to happen...I knew it was going to be intensive, but waaaay under estimated. Liberty Bell is my favorite Mercury capsule, and living in Wichita I'm only 45 minutes away from it. Back in May I met with the president of the Cosmosphere to request some drawings of the building, as I want to construct some of my models as they are on display there. He was really intrigued, and said he'd never thought about seeing the museum in miniature. I got some of the architectural plans for areas I needed, and there wasn't anything for the LB case...but I got his blessing to measure the case and other parts of displays I wanted. So I got the measurements, plenty of pictures and got started on the job of making my 1/12 kit to look as close as I can to how it exists now. Bear with me, I've never done a WIP thread before, and am feeling a bit vulnerable in the process! I've kinda stalled for a bit on it as my drawings of David Weeks' plans are on the way...and my wife and I are pretty close to buying a house, so that might stall things more! But enough back story...on with the project! After getting all the resources laid out, I began to compare everything and noticed parts that differed between LB and the kit. One part is the corrugation in front of the window...on the kit it has a panel of some sort there, LB it has corrugation. So i trimmed it down and tried to carve my own, but that failed. In steps improvisation. Since the hatch was lost and never recovered, I simply cut out a section of it and grafted it into a hole I cut out in the hull. The periscope door was also cut out to show it extended. Now...the biggest part I've done so far is some very extensive modification to the Recovery Compartment. It was heavily corroded after 38 years on the sea floor. When I was taking measurements, one of the things I did was sketch out to scale, based on the kit panels size, what parts were eaten away. It will serve as a map for me to make the outer skin. What I did was use my dremel to cut out the panels. It need quite a bit of clean up, but I finally got it done. I added some basswood squares to make the gap, and used .010 Evergreen sheet to form the inner skin. I have to thank Astrazoic here for quite a bit of inspiration and tips from his Friendship 7 build, as it gave me some really good tips on how to make this beast. Here's where I am right now...waiting for the drawings to come in. Edited July 29, 2011 by archybean Quote Link to post Share on other sites
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.