1/72 Tupolev Tu-22M3 "Backfire" by Trumpeter

Nice to see you still going strong on this. It has been a difficult journey for you but I think the end in near and it's looking great. Btw, love the panel wash. Is that oil paint? TIA

Mike

Btw, love the panel wash. Is that oil paint? TIA

Mike

Mike, I used Tamiya's Panel Line Accent. Both grey and black and a mix of both. Brilliant stuff (although nothing you could not mix by yourself).

Anybody happen to have any previously unseen photos of the bomb bay with bombs and especially of the bomb bay bomb rack? Would be awesome to see it removed and outside the bay. I've seen all the photos here (we had a good thread on ARC) and also all the Google photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for the next update.

Most probably this kit will be my next build therefore I'm saving this thread for reference. It's nice that you didn't give up and now, after all this years the finishing line is in sight.

Cheers,

Markus

• 1 year later...

Crap. I really didn't post anything last year!     :dontknow:

It all boils down to a fact that I decided to discard the rotary missile launcher and instead load this beast with free fall bombs. Naturally, the kit manufacturer doesn't provide any parts for the bomb rack and although I do have some good photos of the bay - but not one perfect - I've been on some kind of limbo. You know, not knowing where to start with the rack. Oh, how many times have I thought about starting to build it and yet, nothing. 

The modeling mojo is back, so I guess some progress will be seen this spring. This is a promise!

1 hour ago, janman said:

Crap. I really didn't post anything last year!     :dontknow:

It all boils down to a fact that I decided to discard the rotary missile launcher and instead load this beast with free fall bombs. Naturally, the kit manufacturer doesn't provide any parts for the bomb rack and although I do have some good photos of the bay - but not one perfect - I've been on some kind of limbo. You know, not knowing where to start with the rack. Oh, how many times have I thought about starting to build it and yet, nothing. 

The modeling mojo is back, so I guess some progress will be seen this spring. This is a promise!

Yes! Please do. The Tu-22M3 is on my list for the future.....

I hadn't touch this project for a year or so. Because of that it really took me some time to recap what I had achieved and what was to be done next. I literally stared at this thing for a long moment and tried to figure out what to do next and where to start from! 

I did some little touch-ups here and there and checked if everything was still there. I managed to paint the white radio transparent panels on the upper tail (two on each side) and the radome of the tail gun on the lower end of the tail. A small vizor was also attached just below it. Here I used something for the first time: AKAN acrylic paint was used as the color and I must tell you it truly has deserved all the praise I've heard! I normally don't use acrylics (brush painter as I am), but this paint behaved very nicely when brushed on. Okay, the test object was very small but, nevertheless, I'm quite confident now on what can be achieved with these paints. The gun was just being dry-fitted. I noticed it still needs some painting around the turret. I think I've shown the barrel part before, but for those you don't remember, this part was completely scratch-built as it didn't resemble the original at all. Like many other detail parts before it...

temporary_24.jpg

1 hour ago, Aigore said:

So you like akan paints? I haven't tried any yet...but I have a set for my Su-33.

Nice going btw :)

Thanks!

Well, hard to say anything definitive yet since the part was so tiny, but the paint went on very smoothly and evenly and covered with only one layer. 

I happened to get a set for a brown/green Fulcrums a while back. Let's see what comes out of that!

7 hours ago, janman said:

Here I used something for the first time: AKAN acrylic paint was used as the color and I must tell you it truly has deserved all the praise I've heard! I normally don't use acrylics (brush painter as I am), but this paint behaved very nicely when brushed on. Okay, the test object was very small but, nevertheless, I'm quite confident now on what can be achieved with these paints.

Janman, I used the Akan paints recently and you're absolutely correct, they do brush paint very well (although I airbrush almost exclusively). I used the acrylic water based colors, brushed out of the bottle (Cap) and it leveled very well. Airbrushing, I found they work well with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. They're a bit pricey, but you get an accurate color and a good product over a decent primer.

17 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

a good product over a decent primer.

Since the part was so small, I didn't even prime it. And yet it covered so well. Good to hear AKAN paints really work as advertised by colleagues.

My intention has been to try them properly on primed scrap parts. Now I'm truly keen to do some serious experiments with them!

• 2 weeks later...

Have done some very small things recently, but at least there is now some progress to mention. 

Today I've finally managed to create something out of plastic after several days of googling. Here you can see a prototype for one of the bombs racks. These things can be loaded with up to four (three on the center) 250 kilogram bombs. Nine racks will be needed for a full load although at the moment I have 18 FABs to hang on them making two complete "layers". That just might do the trick since the Trumpy bombs I will using for the upper layer will need a lot of work to resemble the beautiful resin ones of which I have only a set of eight. To accompany them I modified one bomb from a Dragon bomb set. 

The rack still needs some smaller details including the ten grey boxes on its sides, see the upper left corner of the photo. Although I will have to check how they look like when in the bay with bombs on them. In fact those boxes seem to be missing from some photos of full bomb loads. Go figure.

temporary_25.jpg