1/72 Tupolev Tu-22M3 "Backfire" by Trumpeter

I think the extra amount of work you have done on this is well worth it. I have the same kit but I doubt very much I will be doing any mod's to it (I'm just too lazy)

Still, I am enjoying this none the less

Looking forward to more

MH

Thanks, MH! Glad to hear it's paying off. Been a long journey! Go ahead, we need more of these big birds. The model looks quite pretty even straight OOB, but unfortunately it's far from accurate. By correcting some of the most glaring errors, like the windshield, you're much better off. I can assure you! One could make much more corrections than I have but then again... it's so time consuming! And you'll lose your mojo.

The bomb racks. I shortened them a bit and sprayed a coat of primer.The modified Trumpeter bombs got the same treatment (but were not shortened...). 

temporary_26.jpg

Great build you have there and looks fabulous.

Tiny details like the tailfin make it even better.  The thick rudders is to me with most kits I build  yeah what can you do?

Tupolev_Tu-22m,_NATO_%22Backfire%22_(891

Edited by cag_200

Thanks! The rudder really is very thick on this kit. Years ago (what can you say, "years" it already is!) when I slammed it together, I somehow missed it. Should have sanded the back sides of both halves until the trailing edge was paper thin. I did sand the trailing edge afterwards, but this naturally doesn't solve the overall thickness of the part. 

More progress tomorrow, stay tuned!

Painted the racks. The colour looks brighter than it actually is. Many photos show the racks in blue grey color so that's my choice as well. Next they need some weathering.

temporary_27.jpg

Edited by janman
  • 2 weeks later...

Great work, Jan :D

BTW I met a bunch of modellers from Helsinki at 08-open last weekend, any associates of yours?

One of them brought a big a$$ B-17 in 1/32nd scale

Edited by Aigore
On 17.4.2017 at 5:34 PM, Aigore said:

Great work, Jan :D

BTW I met a bunch of modellers from Helsinki at 08-open last weekend, any associates of yours?

One of them brought a big a$$ B-17 in 1/32nd scale

Naah, my only associates in the modeling world are mostly here, on ARC. 

I guess I could say I prefer the international scene more.  :)

The bomb bay is progressing.

I painted the bombs with a suitable grey and gave them some scratches and weathering. The styrene bombs (the second layer, modified heavily from the kit bombs) don't have the detonators yet. You can see they don't quite match the accurate resin ones, but since they are behind them, they'll look the part. All the bombs are now attached to the scratch-built racks. 

temporary_29.jpg

I added some details for the front and back walls of the bay as well. These include some parts for operating the bomb bay doors which are photographed here with that plectrum shaped part belonging to the back wall.

temporary_30.jpg

temporary_28.jpg

2 hours ago, Aigore said:

Gorgeous bombs....must be fun making a gazillion of those :D

Thanks! 

Heh, then you can understand why I chose the make only eighteen of them - especially when only nine of them were perfect without any extensive modifications...

58 minutes ago, Sebastijan said:

you have to add the external MER pylons loaded with those FABs, you know ;)

That would be cool, but since the kit pylons are complete crap, it won't happen. Too much scratching already! :) Also, since the Advanced Modeling's resin FABs are sold out everywhere, this is all I got. 

1 hour ago, janman said:

That would be cool, but since the kit pylons are complete crap, it won't happen. Too much scratching already! :) Also, since the Advanced Modeling's resin FABs are sold out everywhere, this is all I got. 

Why not try casting your own?

46 minutes ago, Aigore said:

Why not try casting your own?

"Casting. Now there's a thing I haven't tried for a looong time."

Actually never. To be honest, I've never even imagined doing such advanced stuff. Although lately, after doing several scratched parts for also this project, I've had some distant thoughts. 

Just out of curiosity, could you give a hint of some good website for a beginner, 'cause you never know! 

The bay detailing is 

10 hours ago, Aigore said:

I've done quite a bit of casting when I worked as a prototyper/modeller.

Ah, no wonder you're are implicitly suggesting it being as easy as a pie! :D

Well, the build continues. The bay is getting ready. Some small details still missing, but first I'll do some dry-fitting with the racks in order to see how much of the walls and ceiling will be visible after installing them.

temporary_31.jpg

temporary_32.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Janman, it gives me hope to find someone who has been on a project longer than myself :rolleyes:Does this mean I have an extra 8 months to complete? The last time I dropped by, you just had a mishap with the fuselage, so a great save and good to see this project heading for completion.

Maybe tedious work on the bombs and bomb racks, but your endeavours are certainly producing the results.

Regards

John.

• 10 months later...

Oh, thanks for your attention! I just took some quick photos of the model just to remind you how it looked when I noticed your post. :) 

I lost my interest for posting anything last summer for a reason many of us encountered. When I look at this thread and see all the empty spaces that used to have photos in them... Still makes me so freaking angry. But here we go again! I was going to finish this last summer but for that obvious reason my plan collapsed. 

NowI'm learning to use Imgur and also take good photos with my new phone. The previous one - Nokia 1020 with its 41 (!) megapixel was a real joy for a modeler. With the new one I have not taken much photos yet, but clearly my chances are more limited when it comes to cropping photos to have nice close-ups.