1/72 Tupolev Tu-22M3 "Backfire" by Trumpeter

Thanks, guys!

I painted some new placards for the seats and also more colour for different parts according to references. A very sharp marker is good for making screws and other tiny details. 

30e3GPf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The seats... I kinda remembered test-fitting them at some point (=years ago) and discovering there would be some fit issues. And there certainly are. The seats are too tall so a lot more material is needed to be removed from the bottom - possibly somewhere else too. Some details will be lost but most of it will be hidden behind the cockpit sills. 

udbdNHq.jpg

According to photos there is a red fire extinguisher on the floor at the left side of the rear cockpit. A very suitable looking extinguisher was found from the spares. It originates from ICM's 1/72 ZIL-131 fuel bowser.

Bv4vcM7.jpg

A little less work with the front seats but still some sanding ahead here as well. I did some detail painting on the pit and although I found some areas that might benefit from further detailing I think the pit starts to look busy enough. 

The lights on the nose (for aerial refuelling if I'm correct) were too big and bulbous. I sanded them flat, polished them, engraved a smaller light in the middle and painted around it with fuselage color. Looks more like the real thing.

q8TTTdA.jpg

Edited by janman

Thanks fellas! I can recommend the Neomega pit wholeheartedly. The seats will need some heavy cutting but the level of details is excellent throughout.

I've been fiddling with the landing lights lately. They all suck. They don't fit, are of wrong size, wrong shape... I lost one nose light for the carpet monster and one got stuck inside the nose. Great. Before that I had been reshaping the slippery bastards for ages... Anyways, some super and white glue, Molotow silver and Future will work as a remedy.

Since it will be finished, you'll see it in person. That's a 100% fact!

Last time you were here I was in a deep recession when it comes to modelling. And a year later came the Photobucket crash... Hopefully Imgur stays! 😄 But hey, I'm so close to the finish line this time!

• 3 weeks later...

And they are in (not permanently yet though)! Unfortunately some heavy cutting on the bottom of the seats was needed for proper fit. Unfortunately because the loss of leg restraints. You won't really notice it - the busyness of the cockpit helps a great deal! 

rB9zOpI.jpg

All I can say is WOW! Beautiful work Jan. Those of us who prefer large scale and amaze one another working with that scale, are humbled by those of you with the courage to perform some of the same detail in the delicate 1/72 scale. Your work is an inspiration my friend!

3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

All I can say is WOW! Beautiful work Jan. Those of us who prefer large scale and amaze one another working with that scale, are humbled by those of you with the courage to perform some of the same detail in the delicate 1/72 scale. Your work is an inspiration my friend!

1 hour ago, Speedy said:

I copy Mr. Matt Foley on this. Fantastic detailed build.

Looking forward to see the next update.

Cheers,

Robert Jan

Thanks fellas! I really appreciate your words. 

Jan man,

Great work.  

Im currently building the Northstar boarding platforms for this jet (I’m on the road for work and brought a project that doesn’t require paint until the end).  Can you please give me the height of the canopy sill down to the deck, so I can position my platforms to the correct height. 

Thanks. 

Chris

On 5/27/2018 at 11:33 PM, swimmer25k said:

Can you please give me the height of the canopy sill down to the deck, so I can position my platforms to the correct height.

Chris,

Luckily, my Tu-22M2 is in a display cabinet - so easily accessible.

I have just taken it out to measure it - and the height from the ground to the canopy sill is.... 5.6cm

Hope this helps

Ken

18 hours ago, Flankerman said:

Chris,

Luckily, my Tu-22M2 is in a display cabinet - so easily accessible.

I have just taken it out to measure it - and the height from the ground to the canopy sill is.... 5.6cm

Hope this helps

Ken

Absolutely.  Thanks Ken. 

Chris