1/72 Tupolev Tu-22M3 "Backfire" by Trumpeter

The front landing gear. As was described earlier, modifications were needed here as well. Now everything is pretty much painted and weathered.

016-2.jpg

018-4.jpg

The wings with aluminum leading edges. I used Mr. Metal "aluminum" which was polished. Now it's a bit too shiny but after a layer of matt coat it should look okay. A bundle of wiring/piping was added inside the main gear wells.

008-6.jpg

Now with the wings!

I was able to glue the wings pretty neatly without harming the paint work of either the wings or the fuselage. Some touch ups will be needed, naturally. Luckily the fit was good.

002-15.jpg

Sebastijan, I dunno yet! It IS big.

I bought a nice and quite stylish vitrine from Ikea (stylish enough even for a living room!), but it seems my Tupolev won't fit inside. I've stored the fuselage in it (diagonally, nose on one corner, tail in another) and the lenght would be enough. But now when it's got wings, it probably won't fit - even with minimum sweep.

006-10.jpg

I know the feeling... I have several big models (Tu-160 amongst them) I'd like to build, but I simply don't have protected space to display them... well maybe one day, when we're gonna grow old and rich and will afford to buy a house and have our own dedicated man cave room :D

• 3 weeks later...

The front ends of the bomb bay doors (which were already heavily modified earlier) have details that are - surprise, surprise - inaccurate. The shape has *something* to do with the reality but unfortunately the whole part is upside down (the original part still on the left door)... You can see them in the middle of the photo, below the black drill bit box. My scratched version is on top of that same box. Since the doors will be open, these will be quite visible.

021-1.jpg

Edited by janman
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

April '14... Oh my god, so long since the last post!

Even though no WIP status reports have emerged after that there has been some progress. These little details were added last weekend.

The bomb bay door end plates were added for the rear ends as well. At this point they are still without paint and smaller details.

WP_20150119_14_20_35_Pro.jpg

I know the feeling... I have several big models (Tu-160 amongst them) I'd like to build, but I simply don't have protected space to display them... well maybe one day, when we're gonna grow old and rich and will afford to buy a house and have our own dedicated man cave room :D/>

It would certainly be a unique way to answer the standard question at a job interview: "Why do you want this job?"

"I need space to display my Backfire"

Certainly would! :D

Another detail added is this "venetian blind" on the right side of the vertical tail. On the kit part it's completely shut and represented only by recessed lines. That's not wrong but I wanted some "nice" extra details. One of the reasons this has taken soooo long...

WP_20150119_14_24_58_Pro.jpg

Good Work, fine Details ! :thumbsup:/>

...but have you see the really greatest Error on this Kit ? ... ;)/>

The front and rear instrument decals are reversed on Trumpeter's instruction sheet??

The retraction strut on the main gear leg doesn't 'connect' to anything??

The bottom side edges of the windscreen are the wrong sloping angle ??

The bang seats are KM-1's when they should be KT-1's.

The inner flaps are not present if you want the flaps deployed.

The ventral fin on the Kh-22 is not folded - as it should be when on its dolly or on its pylon.

The main wheels need replacing with Equipage wheels.

All minor and fixable.

Have I missed anything ?? - what have you got ??

Ken

The front and rear instrument decals are reversed on Trumpeter's instruction sheet??

The retraction strut on the main gear leg doesn't 'connect' to anything??

The bottom side edges of the windscreen are the wrong sloping angle ??

The bang seats are KM-1's when they should be KT-1's.

The inner flaps are not present if you want the flaps deployed.

The ventral fin on the Kh-22 is not folded - as it should be when on its dolly or on its pylon.

The main wheels need replacing with Equirestinage wheels.

All minor and fixable.

Have I missed anything ?? - what have you got ??

Ken

..in your little List i miss the false engraved Paneellines on the Area before the Tail Fin (both Sides) - but these are all "little Errors" :)/>

Does nobody see the complete false contour of the Air- channels ?

Here a Picture of my trial to correct ist...

(excuse my bad English !)

Original Kit:

l.jpg

Corrected:

m.jpg

Edited by Arne

Thank you Arne for the input!

This kit is full errors... I've studied a lot of references and the task seems endless. I've corrected several panel lines also on the tail area, at least all glaringly erroneous ones. I agree on the shape of the fuselage sides (intake ducting) and, as far as I remember, some debate about it not being completely right we already had years ago here on ARC when the kit came out. You've done a great job, but I decided I won't go that far. If I hate something in modeling, it's sanding and puttying...

• 1 month later...

After a major rethink about the era and role of my Backfire... the Kickbacks must go!

I've had enough of the endless search of good reference photos for a suitable example so my mgodel will be an Afghan war veteran from the Soviet times and that's it. The bomb bay will thus be occupied by dumb bombs.temporary-8.jpg