1/72 Tupolev Tu-22M3 "Backfire" by Trumpeter

Thanks, Aigore! I have a feeling this project is finally getting back on track. Okay, some scratching is needed for the bomb bay so that I can fill it with a scheisse load of FAB-250s! :-)

Gianni, I wholeheartedly agree! The M3 is one of the most beautiful bombers ever made.

• 4 weeks later...

I've done most of the decals. Most of the panel lines are done too. This time I used Tamiya's panel line solution, both black and grey. Basically it's just plain diluted Tamiya enamel paint, but at least it saves some time since one doesn't have to do the mix every time. Since I prefer enamels on this job, I'd say it's a very good product.

temporary_2.jpg

Edited by janman

Panel lines on the engine area were treated with black, which works very well especially with perforations and small openings.

temporary_1.jpg

For other panel lines I've used gray colour. The prominent rivet lines on the intakes were highlighted with black though.

temporary_3.jpg

One of the next steps will be the bomb bay. As I mentioned, the rotary launcher had to go and now I'll have to scratch build the racks for FAB-250s. I ordered 8 pieces (two sets) of AM's exquisite resin FABs, which will form the undermost FAB layer in the bay. The ninth (with suitable modifications) will come from a Dragon bomb set - as will all the rest. Should look okay behind the more accurate resin bombs.

Oh, I wish I had storage space for a Blackjack! Where I'm gonna put this after it's finished, I really don't know yet either!

I wonder how accurate the other Trumpy Tupolevs *really* are when examined more thoroughly. I mean this was supposed to be a great leap when compared to the previous attempts. It really is that - but not accurate enough when built straight OOB. The amount of small and bigger (and often childish) mistakes grew surprisingly large while building this beautiful beast... And still many were left uncorrected.

Edited by janman

yeah... we always will have something to correct I guess..

Panel lines and rivet seem to be sharper on the Tu22 than on the Tu160...

I think I will have to do some rescribing...

cheers!

I wonder how accurate the other Trumpy Tupolevs *really* are when examined more thoroughly. I mean this was supposed to be a great leap when compared to the previous attempts. It really is that - but not accurate enough when built straight OOB. The amount of small and bigger (and often childish) mistakes grew surprisingly large while building this beautiful beast... And still many were left uncorrected.

Excellent work!!! :thumbsup: What you say about the kit is right, unfortunately it has the usual Trump “under research” perfectly represented. Still it is far better than the only other offering on the market. I know it shouldn’t be a justification for this kit but there is very little chance for anyone else doing it in the near future (say 10 years). I have this Trump kit and will build it in the near future.

You ask about the other Trump Tupolevs. The “under research” is unfortunately evident there too. I cannot say anything about the Tu-16’s as I don’t have it but I have the Bear. The biggest problem is with the fuselage diameter which is completely wrong. Apart from scratching a new fuselage from a piece of plastic tube of suitable diameter there is not much one could do. I will build it as it is (one day).

One good thing is that some Russian and Ukrainian companies are going in the direction of building bigger and bigger aircraft and by now they are doing a great job of it. Have a look at the Be-12 kit. On some Russian forums a new rumor is around that someone somewhere is working on a 72nd scale Tu-22, no not the Tu-22M2 or M3 version but the original Tu-22! That would be something!!!!!!! (Many years ago VES (they did that 72nd Su-24 and excellent Su-15TM) did reach master stage with the Tu-22 but it was lost after the company when bust.)

Going back to this kit, very nice build :worship: :worship: and I look forward to your final work on it.

Best regards

Gabor

Guys, thanks for your kind words! This build has been quite a journey.

Rom, the panel lines on this kit were quite soft too and I rescribed most of them. Some smaller maintenance hatches were not rescribed, which I now (a couple of years later already!) regret. Not a big deal.

Gabor, is the diameter smaller or bigger than it should be then? Referring now to Tu-95, of course.

Interesting that you brought up VES Su-15 kit. Had already forgotten it. From time to time I've had this urge to get some Flagon kit, but problems with the Amodel and especially the Trump kit have always bothered me and finally I've let go of this idea. Since I've built their Fencer kit - and kinda enjoyed it - I should be able to build the Su-15 as well, right?

Hopefully we'll see a definitive Tu-22 kit in the future. That Beriev kit looks very nice so maybe it's a good sign!

Edited by janman

Hi janman,

The diameter of the Tu-95 fuselage is smaller if I remember right. Have to have a look, my kit is on the "soon (4-5 years) to be built" shelf. Did not have a chance to measure the diameter at MAKS :D :D :D Have to rely on Russian opinions on this.

The VES Su-15TM is not an easy build just like the Su-24 but I prefer it to other offerings.

Good luck with your build!

Best regards

Gabor

IIRC, the Tu-95 fuselage diameter is the same as the Boeing B-29 - as it is a direct lineal descendent via the Tu-4, Tu-80 and Tu-85.

FWIW, Yefim Gordon (in the Aerofax book) gives a max fuselage diameter for the Tu-142 of 2.9m (9ft 6in).

According to this website - the max fuselage diameter of a B-29 is ...... 9ft 6in :thumbsup:/>

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Thanks Flankerman. The 290 cm diameter of the real aircraft fuselage would make in 72nd scale 40.27 mm. The Trumpeter kit has a diameter of 37.78-37.82 mm.

Well you can say that on that big beast this difference of around 2.5 mm is not much. You can say: “Who cares about this?” Well I do care but here, there is not much one can do. I will build the Bear as it is, there is no point or way to correct the diameter mistake of the kit.

Best regards

Gabor

I've been fiddling with the excellent AM FABs. They need some cleanup, especially around the tails. Every fin has a strengthening strip at the end of the fin. Here I used my new piko saw (from Radub, who else would manufacture such excellent tools with simplicity and great value for money!?). You can barely see the teeth with bare eyes, but the saw works brilliantly with delicate items like these bombs.

temporary_4.jpg