Plane from a Average Modeller

Finished this 1/48 Val from Hasegawa. Its my best so far but there are some issues. Puttying is still my bane and struggle with making it seamless. Canopy masking is also a problem. Painting wise I improved a lot. Its not a bad kit but its a bit over engineered I think. Having to make the cockpit capsule that gets glue into the fuse just asks for fit issues and the instructions are a little vague in places. Its not a bad kit I just think it could have been a little better.

thanks for looking.

val1p.jpg

val2w.jpg

Thanks guys. The chipping was a first for me. I have tried some drybrushing at times but never chipping. I looked at a variety of suggested techniques, but in the end I free handed it and tried to be logical about where it might come off. For my skills I was very happy with it. I have seen much better here of course but for me it was good. I need to work on putty still as where it is let down is the top of the cowling is where there is a groove where the two halves met. I did sand and putty but it was still there. I was worried that if I just kept doing it that it wouldn't fix the problem but on further reading it seems that is what I should have done. Added more putty, sand. If still visible sand more and/or add more putty. I'm still in awe at the work you guys often do and wonder what magic is cast to get those results.

I entered it in a local painting competition and it didn't rank, my Boba Fett came 3rd in the same category. Yes I know a WW2 Japanese Dive Bomber and Boba Fett share a lot in common lol.

I appreciate the comments.

Nice work my friend. As far as having problems masking the canopy goes, have you tried any of the Eduard canopy mask sets (the newer kind which are made out of a materials similar to Tamiya masking tape? I tell you, I hate masking canopies and when I discovered these masking sets I thought I'd died & gone to heaven - I mean sure you have to pay a few extra $$ for them but they (in my opinion) save you a LOT of time. Okay well once again, nice work.

Edited by Scooter Man

Nice work my friend. As far as having problems masking the canopy goes, have you tried any of the Eduard canopy mask sets (the newer kind with made out of materials similar to Tamiya masking tape? I tell you, I hate masking canopies and when I discovered these masking sets I thought I'd died & gone to heaven - I mean sure you have to pay a few extra $$ for them but they (in my opinion) save you a LOT of time. Okay well once again, nice work.