Hey there gang,

I'm sure this has been debated, argued, and elaborated upon before to the end of time itself, but I'm looking for opinions here. I'm building the Monogram kit right now, and even trying to fit the fuselage halves together I'm coming to wits end with this thing. Should I break down and buy the Kinetic kit or shrug it off and trooper on? I'm really losing momentum here.

Aaron

Aaron-

I've built both, and like them both, and IMO, both kits have their good points and bad points.

Kinetic's kit has a lot of great options to include block 89 ICAPII features, folded wings, a nicely detailed cockpit, and engraved panel lines, but the landing gear is lacking in the detail dept. The kit's pit is ok, and if you're a budget modeler like me, I just added Verlinden's resin seats, although Aires offers a cockpit set that is awesome for it. The wings also looked a bit thick to me, and one of the wings is missing a wing fence that needs to be replaced. There is a set available from Steel Beach, but I just used sheet plastic for mine. I also replaced my landing gear with the ones from the Monogram kit, which just required a bit of sanding to get them to fit. Overall, I was satisfied with the mine, and I put my Monogram Prowler down once I started construction of the Kinetic kit. I will admit there are some fit issues, but I was able to work them out with a good bit of dry fitting and planning.

The Monogram kit is a great kit if you're wanting to build an early block EA-6B. The wings need to be replaced because the ones that come in the kit are for the A-6. I think Wolfpack has a resin replacement. Also, the Mono kit has boddy armor on the undersides that needs to be removed. The EA-6B didn't have this, so a lot of sanding is required. Get your Dremel tool ready!

Still, both kits are great and I think it's going to boil down to the individial modeler.

Good luck with your prowler!

Thanks for the great article, Goodsgt. Gives a nice highlight of the pros and cons of each.

103guy, I'm a budget modeller, too. That's partly why I have the Monogram kit, but also because it was my best (and only) option before the Kinetic kit came out. I have the Detail in Scale book, and am familiar with the shortcomings and required corrections for the Monogram kit, but I'm mostly an out of box builder.

I do have the BlackBox pit for the EA-6B and was trying to fit that. I gave up and started using the kit cockpit. After dumbing off with that for a while I started losing my desire to sit at the bench, so I either need a new kit or a side project.

Aaron

I hear you. Have had the Monogram in my stash for a while now. I also got the blackbox/avionix pit for it, just before the Kinetic was released. Now I think of just selling it and getting the Kinetic instead. I might try to fit the resin pit in that.

Getting the Wolfpack wings and folds is another option but they are so friggin expensive, it's cheaper to just get the Kinetic.

Space is a problem for me so the Wingfolds might just push me over. Also saves me the trouble of rescribing the damn thing. And the gear is a problem on the Monogram. I also build their EA-6A and the gear sags.

Anyone ever squeezed an Avionix pit in the Kinetic before ?

Edited by THX1138