I hope this will be my first in progress thread that I see through to the end. After 6 years and the acquisition of a closet full of kits, it's time to actually build another one (I have only completed 2 1/144 kits - moves, baby, etc.). As my skills are not so hot, I am starting with a one of my cheaper kits. I have read that this kit is not so accurate, but I just want something migish on the shelf.

Boxtop_small.jpg

The cockpit is barebones, so I added some nonsense to busy it up a bit as best as a could:

ejectionseat_small.jpg

cockpitopened_small.jpg

cockpitclosed_small-1.jpg

I am also adding nonsense detail to the wheel wells:

wheelwell_small.jpg

And I didn't like the shallowness of the engine can, so I cut it up and deepened it a bit:

engine_small.jpg

engineseated_small.jpg

Thanks for looking and I would certainly appreciate any tips or suggestions anyone might have with the kit or the real aircraft.

-Aaron

Nice to see a MiG-27 being built instead of being argued over. :lol: I like what you've done so far, especially with the engine.

Be careful with the seam that runs along the side, from the wing glove to the engine: it likes to re-open when you least expect it. If you haven't closed it up yet, you can cut some squares of plastic and place them along the inside of the seam. That should strengthen it.

Good luck!

Edited by Pirata
  • 10 months later...

I have started back up on this one and I'm in a race against my soon-to-arrive second daughter to finish it. I have deepened all the panel lines and quickly washed with charcoal to check.

wash2.jpg

wash1.jpg

cockpit.jpg

I am not going for high accuracy with this model (I gather that would take much work with this kit), I just want a dirty and mean looking Soviet jet for my shelf.

Edited by Aaron

And I didn't like the shallowness of the engine can, so I cut it up and deepened it a bit:

That's a great idea! I have a couple of these in my stash too. So, I'm sorry Aaron.....I'm going to have to steal your idea :P