Question on this Tomcat

I was browsing another forum that had pictures of Tomcats and came across this one. It appears to be an F-14D, but if you look closely, there are GRU-7 seats. Everything else looks like a Delta, though. Since it's PMTC, I would imagine maybe it was the Delta testbed? What caught my attention was the overall Gull Gray paint scheme. With the exception of the retro schemes, I don't think I've ever seen a Delta in overall Gull Gray.

F-14D in Gull Gray

Edited by Darren Roberts

I think you're right, Darren ...

Probably one of the F-14D prototypes ...

I wonder if it served in the same role for the F-14A+ as well ...

Note it has the camera blisters on the wings for weapons separation testing ...

I bet the photo was taken during the Pt Mugu airshow ... :D

Gregg

Don't forget that as an A conversion model and with still being in early D model testing, it may have still retained the old radar scope from the original AWG-9 radar system. The APG radar system developed for the later production models integrated the cokcpit with the full PTID digital CRT screens.

161867 was a full scale test and development aircraft which made its first flight in April 1988 with an official designation of F-14A-130-GR, 161867 (D FSD PA-2). According my records she was used for TARPS, radar, avionics and environmental testing and served between PMTC and VX-4 Evaluators before being put on display at NAWC-AD Pax River museum. The aircraft was decommisioned in April 1995.

Hi Darren , this was a former A model 161867 shop nr 503, it became a NF-14D (PA-2) it had a dual chinpod and Full Scall Development Instruments but kept the GRU-7 seats . HTH Henk

Edited by Andrew Maverick Taylor

Don't forget that as an A conversion model and with still being in early D model testing, it may have still retained the old radar scope from the original AWG-9 radar system. The APG radar system developed for the later production models integrated the cokcpit with the full PTID digital CRT screens.

Well, to be painfully accurate, all new-build F-14Ds and F-14D( R )s were delivered from Grumman and/or NADEP with the old TID (round display). The square PTIDs were migrated over to the F-14D fleet community as F-14Bs were retired in the 2000's.

On the other hand, all new-build and converted F-14Ds were delivered with the Digital Display (DD) used with the APG-71 which replaced the Detail Data Display (DDD or triple-D) used with the AWG-9. This is the display that is just below the RIO's eyelevel; visually, the DD had a much larger CRT and had pushtiles surrounding it, compared to the late '60s vintage DDD.

The DD and DDD were not interchangeable, whereas the TID and PTID generally were (the exceptions being the F-14B (MCAP); NF-14A Upgrade, F-14B Upgrade and F-14D after 2003; with these configurations, the PTID was required for full systems functionality).

HTH.

As a bit of trivia, the NF-14Ds that had the new avionics and the old TF30 engines were sometimes referred to informally as the "D minus"; a play on the "A (PLUS)" nomenclature.