Ok, my Typhoon is nearing completion, so I figured I might as well start another one! For this build, I'm going to do one of my all time favorite P-40 schemes, one of the Burma Banshees. I'll be using the Hasegawa 1/72 P-40N kit, which actually comes with decals for one of the Banshees. However, I also have the Sky Models Curtiss P-40 sheet (no 72-058), which I'll be using instead of the kit decals. If you like P-40's I highly recommend this sheet, as there are a ton of subjects on here. I don't think they could have crammed a single other decal on there.

Obligatory box shot:

5992194233_26a014d07f_z.jpg

I was looking on the 'net and I found the website for the Burma Banshees here. They have a ton of good photos. I even found one of the aircraft I'll be doing, Miss Francis III.

Miss Francis III

No other pictures yet. All I have done so far is clean up some flash and spray the interior with some interior green paint. I'll post more pictures as more progress is made. Thanks for looking!

-Dave

• 1 month later...

Well, after a bit of a hiatus, I started working on this one again last night. Not much, but I did get the fuselage halves together, the cockpit is ready to go in (I'll add the control stick later), and the radiator is ready to go in.

6188638708_2ea18b1bef_z.jpg

-Dave

Got the radiator and cockpit installed. The radiator didn't fit that well, and there is a small gap between it and the area of the fuselage right behind the spinner. I'm not going to worry about it, because you really can't see it unless you flip the airplane over and really look for it.

I also installed the wings and horizontal tail. These went on pretty smoothly. I dipped the canopy in Future last night, so all I have to do is paint the IP coaming and the area of the fuse underneath the canopy, install the canopy, mask, and she'll be ready for paint.

6191820872_c61dc444b5_z.jpg

-Dave

Tiffy...P-40...focus, focus...FOCUS :woot.gif:

It put the decals on the Tiffy (and the paint on the P-40) or it gets the hose...

Ok, ok, jeeez. :scared0016:

I'll see what I can do. I'll probably paint the p-40 this weekend, as well as work on the Tiffy. I tried decaling it a few months ago, but the red background for the mouth didn't want to cooperate, so now I'm going to mask it and paint it, and then put the separate teeth decals over that. I keep looking at it and then finding something else to work on...

-Dave

I made a bit of progress this weekend.

I painted and washed the rest of the cockpit area:

6206087584_4e9526e58c_z.jpg

The headrest was installed and the canopy glued on as well. The canopy fit pretty well, I only had to do some minor trimming on the fuselage to get it to fit really well.

6205575765_3d2a2a956a_z.jpg

After that was dry, I masked off the canopy with Tamiya tape, and shes ready for the paint booth. If you build this one, watch out for the rails molded into the canopy. I compared them to some photos of the real thing, and it looked like there were way too many rails, and in the wrong location in the front. I just guessed at the correct locations when I was cutting the tape.

6205578573_63b655f531_z.jpg

Not that you can tell, because its almost the exact same color as the plastic, but I also painted the underside in Neutral Gray.

6205581475_99e8a06e04_z.jpg

And while I was spraying the colors for some of my other projects, I sprayed the propellor and spinner as well.

6205585057_dd6e6c656d_z.jpg

Not many parts left in the box...

Thanks for following.

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

To avoid a beating with the hose, I slung some more paint on this beast over the weekend.

First a little interior green on the canopy rails:

6236862809_8a2597c608_z.jpg

And then a little Olive Drab on the upper surfaces.

6237384994_c7cb5aa431_z.jpg

This particular aircraft had a Medium Green tail, so I still need to mask that off and paint it. Then it will be clear coat and decaling.

-Dave

Just a quick update on the P-40. I managed to get the tail painted Medium Green and then clear coated yesterday. Today I put the decals on. Not many for this scheme. I did have to take the national insignia from another sheet as the Sky sheet doesn't include them. The Sky decals are printed by Cartograf, and as you can expect, they went on beautifully. The national insignias aren't looking so good though. Looks like I'm going to have to go a little heavy on the weathering to try and cover it up.

6248506432_8e47f0632c_z.jpg

Thanks for following along.

-Dave

• 4 weeks later...

And done.

Here she is, weathered, cleared, and final assembly done. This particular aircraft had spoked wheels, which the Hasegawa kit doesn't have, so I stole the set from the Academy kit. I'm not completely happy with it. The national markings silvered badly, even with future as a setting solution. I used a silver pencil to do the chipping on the wings, fuselage, prop and spinner. I think the prop and spinner came out fine, but I'm not completely happy with the rest of it. It looks good from about 3 feet, but up close it looks like crap. I'm really happy with the Mig pigments I'm using. This is only the second model I've used them on, and as I gain more experience with them, they just look better and better.

6327249375_abca3b3bc7_z.jpg

6327999572_fff3ef1a25_z.jpg

6328000444_4cf67d7ca7_z.jpg

6327251565_e853710b63_z.jpg

6328002268_e66d3e46b7_z.jpg

6328003128_1336c1fd9d_z.jpg

Thanks for following along!

-Dave