"US ARMY" underwing stencil

On silver or yellow airplanes, the color remained black. On all camoflaged aircraft, the specified color was insignia blue. For some reason, Curtiss maintained the black up to, but not including the -E variants Coilor pictures I have not. Hal Sr

Curtiss screwed up and carried black past the change date. But, correct with insignia Blue on the P-40E.

Until October 1940 the U.S. ARMY was to be in black when applied to a light color on the underside. October 22, 1940 marks the revision in the color such that Blue 47 (Insignia Blue) was to be used.

OK, blue it is!

But this means cutting out masks... DOH!!!

Thanks for the info anyway, everyone! :rolleyes:

Honestly, if you have decals for this in black, I'd say use em. Cutting masks is a pain and by the time you do all that work and pull the masks off then weather the model, they'll probably be close enough to black. Although, painted on vs decal silvering......

Woodland Scenice makes dry decal letters and numbers in the font used by the military. Paint the wing undersurface Ins Blue. Apply the correct rub on decals. Now paint it neutral Gray or whatever the bottom color is. Once dry, the dry decal can be removed by patting it with tape. Voila, Ins Blue U. S. ARMY on your wing bottom. This is how I do it. Hal Sr

• 8 months later...

Woodland Scenice makes dry decal letters and numbers in the font used by the military. Paint the wing undersurface Ins Blue. Apply the correct rub on decals. Now paint it neutral Gray or whatever the bottom color is. Once dry, the dry decal can be removed by patting it with tape. Voila, Ins Blue U. S. ARMY on your wing bottom. This is how I do it. Hal Sr

Hal

Would you please, when you have the time, find that font name and post it.

I looked at their web site and didn't see the "Amarillo" font.

TIA woo.gif

When one compares the date of the OD change; Then the fus star; inventories for 31 Dec 40 and 30 June 41; Organizational changes; tail designators to RCN (Abbv. S/N

) and new production for US Army consumption between Oct 40 and Dec 6 41 the is not a whole lot of modeling subjects of the 1940s combat types that would predate the call for ins. Blue. Wiithout doing specfic checks one is more in the realm of YP-37 AND B -17B in flavor than LB-30 , B-17D and P-40D.