Say hello to my lil friend! (Hawk visit)

About a month ago, a Hawk family moved into a tree just a couple houses away. They may have been there longer, but they introduced themselves recently. There are two hawks that fly around the neighborhood. I think they might be juviniles since although they are big, they don't do the characteristic hawk screech (I have heard it from a more distant Hawk) and instead they seem to make a noise perhaps more associated with wanting food. I suppose it could be mom and dad though and their chick could still be in the tree.

Anyway, a little over a week ago, I took my camera outside and waited for them. The pair came flying in over the lawn and landed across the street. I shot a couple pictures of one on the roof of the house across the street. He (or she) saw me and decided to perch on my roof (I moved a bit when I saw the thing flying towards me). For the next 40 minutes, it was this hawk and myself in the front yard. It stayed on the roof for about 25 minutes, then it flew to a branch over my yard. The whole time I was about 25 feet away from it and while it eyeballed me, it didn't seem mad at me. Here are some of my best pictures of that day:

hawk3sm.jpg

hawkflight1sm.jpg

hawkflight2sm.jpg

hawk6sm.jpg

At least it is nice to know while the F-22 is grounded, THIS Raptor is still flying. ;)

Edited by Jay Chladek

Beautiful bids, great neighbors to have.

We have native Hawk's and Harriers here, its great to watch them gracefully gliding through the sky in the autumn period. However their large wing spans can be intimidating if you come across them eating road kill!

Jay

WOW !! Those are amazing pics....I was thinking the same as you were when I read your post...At least This ONE is stll Hovering and flying about..

GORGEOUS looking Bird....LOVE the span of its wings... :yahoo:

Edited by HOLMES

Beautiful bids, great neighbors to have.

We have native Hawk's and Harriers here, its great to watch them gracefully gliding through the sky in the autumn period. However their large wing spans can be intimidating if you come across them eating road kill!

Unless you raise chickens!

Thankfully, my cat is a BIG chicken when it comes to wanting to go outdoors. If it gets to the door and you try to let it out, it just panics and doesn't do it. So we won't have a problem with the cat and the hawks.

I am pretty sure these are Red Tail Hawks since the are pretty common around the state. It is kind of unusual for them to be hanging out in my neighborhood since it is a somewhat populated suburb of Omaha. Maybe they decided to move in due to the flooding of the Missouri river further to the east. Eitherway, it is nice to see them out and about around here.

We have native Hawk's and Harriers here. However their large wing spans can be intimidating if you come across them eating road kill!

Ain't that the truth. My uncle came to visit when I was (much much) younger. He was out on the back roads riding his motorbike when he came round a blind corner and smack bang in the middle of the road was a harrier munching on some squashed rabbit. He hauled on the anchors and the harrier tried to take off but unfortunately my uncle collected it on his helmet. He and the bike were ok apart from a few scratches but unfortunately the harrier got the full brunt of a liverpool kiss from my uncle's helmet so both it and the helmet were written off. He said it was the scariest thing he's ever seen with the harrier coming straight at his head...

Edited by CyNaKyL

Very NICE SHOTS...Jay...and as a raptor (of the feathered kind) fanatic...I'd be in hog-heaven to share domiciles with such feathered neighbors. My 70-200mm VRII would be getting a hell of a workout.