Facebook and Google Plus

I am trying to establish a social networking account for my local club. I have a couple of questions about managing groups.

In Facebook, you can create groups. You put your friends in these groups as you see fit. My question is, once I create a group and people accept my invite, are they able to see postings by other members of the group? That is what we are looking for.

In the new Facebook competitor, Google Plus, there are no such things as groups at this point. What you have are circles. You put everyone you want to correspond with about certain things in a circle and name it. The problem is that the only people who see a post are you and the members of the circle directly connected to you. Lets say I post something, everyone in my circle gets it. Lets say one person responds with a comment. I see it, but no one else can.....unless each member of the my circle has added each other member of the my circle to their circle. So far as I can see, I can't create a circle as an "admin," put everyone in it and all members see the group posts of all other members.

I like the simpler layout of Google plus, but don't want a situation when we add a member, 40 people have to "friend" the new member individually, or if someone leaves, 40 people have to each delete the contact. I want to establish a group and control it.

In Facebook, you can create groups. You put your friends in these groups as you see fit. My question is, once I create a group and people accept my invite, are they able to see postings by other members of the group? That is what we are looking for.

Yup; the "Scale Model Trader" group on FB comes to mind as such a group. Depending on their account settings, they could even get notifications every time someone posts.

In the new Facebook competitor, Google Plus, there are no such things as groups at this point. What you have are circles. You put everyone you want to correspond with about certain things in a circle and name it. The problem is that the only people who see a post are you and the members of the circle directly connected to you. Lets say I post something, everyone in my circle gets it. Lets say one person responds with a comment. I see it, but no one else can.....unless each member of the my circle has added each other member of the my circle to their circle. So far as I can see, I can't create a circle as an "admin," put everyone in it and all members see the group posts of all other members.

I like the simpler layout of Google plus, but don't want a situation when we add a member, 40 people have to "friend" the new member individually, or if someone leaves, 40 people have to each delete the contact. I want to establish a group and control it.

Has everyone in your club created a G+ account already? Wow, that's pretty quick!

Let me make sure I understand correctly what you're saying; for example, I'm following you on G+, you're following me and you've put me in the modeling circle. I can see what you post and make visible to the circle and comment on it. But if someone else who is in that circle isn't following me they can't see my comment? That doesn't sound right, if only because there are people I follow on G+ (ie - Wil Wheaton) and I'm not circled with anyone else that follows them, yet I can see all the comments following their posts. In that regards G+ is more like Twitter than FB.

I'll agree that at the moment, G+ doesn't permit groups like you can create on FB, at least at the moment. They're still building and it'll be a little bit before even companies are permitted to create profiles. Websites such as Mashable have tried to create profiles only to have them KO'd by the Google.

Has everyone in your club created a G+ account already? Wow, that's pretty quick!

Let me make sure I understand correctly what you're saying; for example, I'm following you on G+, you're following me and you've put me in the modeling circle. I can see what you post and make visible to the circle and comment on it. But if someone else who is in that circle isn't following me they can't see my comment? That doesn't sound right, if only because there are people I follow on G+ (ie - Wil Wheaton) and I'm not circled with anyone else that follows them, yet I can see all the comments following their posts. In that regards G+ is more like Twitter than FB.

I'll agree that at the moment, G+ doesn't permit groups like you can create on FB, at least at the moment. They're still building and it'll be a little bit before even companies are permitted to create profiles. Websites such as Mashable have tried to create profiles only to have them KO'd by the Google.

The circles appear to be personal. I can put you and others in a circle and everyone sees what I post, and I see what anyone else posts. However, it seems that EVERYONE in the group has to manually input EVERYONE else and add them to their personal circle in order for everyone to see everyone else's post. In other words, A can see B. B can see A, A can see C. C can see A. But B and C can't see each other, unless B and C have each other in each other's personally generated circle. I spent the morning exploring Facebook, Google Groups and Yahoo Groups. The G+ was the cleanest, simplest, and most user friendly. So I think we are just going to bite the bullet and have everyone manually enter everyone else in our group

We have about thirty people in our club. Eight so far have established a G+ account. Some folks are off and running already, posting in progress builds and commentary.

Edited by DutyCat

OK, yeah, I see what you're saying now (I was thinking of something else before). Yes, you're correct; what you just described is the only way to handle that "group" for now until G+ actually creates something like groups.