Damn extension.

So I guess I'll start building my other 1/72nd Academy Fort. Will be oob with the kit decals because they represent a 483rd BG ship Fort Alamo III. Although this was the last camouflaged painted 17 in the 483rd it's still a 483rd and will look nicely in my house. Or more likely I'll give this one to my uncle finally.

Anyway I'll dig it out and maybe get started on it later today.

K

Nevermind forgot they aren't the kit decals they're the Aeromaster decals. I got this from 100th BG on here earlier in this GB. Least I think it was him. My memory sucks.

Edited by Bigasshammm

Yes in both 72nd and 48th scale!

Glued one of the wings together so far. Also glued all of the cockpit and bombardier sections together. Tomorrow will airbrush them green then do a little detail painting but won't spend much time on it. Might get the second wing glued today but I'm eating now then have to go golf for the night.

:)

Edited by Bigasshammm

Added paint to the glued parts. I'm impressed with the fit of the Academy kit so far. Not sure what I'll do with that wing dihedral since I don't have any sheet styrene but I'll manage somehow.

Probably work on this a bit more today with some detail painting.

DSCN3025.jpg

K

I'm also building a 72nd P-51 for the mustang GB and I'm going to do it as a Tuskegee Airman red tail. I know that they flew cover for my grandfather's flights on occasion so I plan to sit it next to this when they are done.

Just have to glue the waist guns in and I'll be ready to close up the fuse halves. With the wings already together I'm moving right along with this. Next will be engine work while sanding the wings and fuse.

DSCN3028.jpg

DSCN3029.jpg

Just quick detail painting inside since you can't see anything on 72nd anyway. More for my enjoyment.

Pics after it's been closed.

Nothing to this modeling thing...

With little friend.

DSCN3034.jpg

DSCN3035.jpg

Have to sand the seam just a tad between wings and fuselage. Other than that I can start working on engines and get her ready for paint. I may tack the cowls on and paint it all before engines placed. May get paint tomorrow. I don't have the decals for the 51 so I'll probably paint it overall NMF and then start buffing and buffing and let it sit for a good long time. I might paint the 17 nmf before applying the camo. not sure if I want to get that into it. I am going to try painting the black streaks with the airbrush on this one and see how they turn out.

K

So it's been 3 days and I've already got paint to model. Neutral Gray and OD green sprayed this evening. Have to do some masking for the red control surfaces and also the de-icer boots. Still handpainting engines as well.

Got the Hall of Fame parade in the morning and some work to do to my garage then maybe I can get at it again tomorrow.

Loving this Academy Fort. I could easily do a whole fleet of these. The fit was outstanding and the detail is decent for the size.

Great to know! Typically you hear a lot of complaints about a kit - we all know I'm guilty of that more than most - but to hear that this kit is a good one, that's good data.

Can't wait to see more!

Cheers,

Mark.

Great to know! Typically you hear a lot of complaints about a kit - we all know I'm guilty of that more than most - but to hear that this kit is a good one, that's good data.

Can't wait to see more!

Cheers,

Mark.

I may be a little off on my judgment as the only recent 72nd B-17 I built was the old Revell monstrosity, which looks nice on the surface but in reality, woah. I know I've read about the wing dihedral being wrong and being a large gap on the upper surface but mine looks pretty spot on and there was no gap at the top. Granted I did glue the bottoms first then came back and glued the top to kind of let the Tenax melt the plastic and seal the gap. But still there was no seam!

Anyway got the red control surfaces painted.

DSCN3055.jpg

I'm at a loss as to whether the cowls should be white or left OD/NG. I already painted them OD/NG but then remembered that 840th squadron painted their cowls white for identification. They may not have done this till they were NMF aircraft but I'm not 100% either way. I posted something in the Props section so maybe that will help. The only real pictures of her I've seen (linked above) looks like the cowls were standard camo. But Idk at what point in her life that was.

Anyone here shed some light?

I say OD/NG.

Yeah that's definitely what they are in those pictures. Wish there were more. Damn WW2 for being when there was no technology.

At least I already painted them that way so it's ready to go.

Masking the de-icers or at least some of them. The tail and inner engines will be hand painted.

I'm also going to try using the airbrush to do the oil streaks on the wings. Might end in disaster.

That turned out alright...

DSCN3058.jpg

DSCN3059.jpg

In person the streaks are less distinguishable. They were done completely freehand which is why they're not so good aft of the air vents. I'll still go over it with chalk when it's all done to highlight some more.

De-icers are done. Basically all air brushing done. I'm going to have to hand paint the turrets. Grrrrrrr, but I wasn't about to try n mask all that.

Engines need a wash and some silver dry brushing and I need to paint the firewalls gzc and then they'll get mounted with the cowls and propellers. Decals call for red spinners but I'm not so sure. Might leave them black.

I'm not even going to bother painting the inside of the wheel wells. I'll just paint the gear and forget it.

Should be ready for Future here maybe tomorrow.

K

Added the landing gear and painted SOME of the fiddly little clear bits. Now I have a headache from all the eye strain.

:bandhead2: :bandhead2: :bandhead2: 72nd scale ggrrrrrrrrrrr

DSCN3060.jpg

DSCN3061.jpg

Adding the little antenna I always forget to do before painting and some more parts to the landing gear and the construction is complete.

All that will be left is all the clear parts after decaling.

Wow ham what did you use to mask those canopies those likes are dam strait !!!

No masking just a brush and some paint. Used a toothpick every now n then to clean up if I went astray. Took about n hour. Still have the ball turret to go

Decaled yesterday. It won't be done for a while though as I have no more flat coat spray nor do I have any yellow to do the tips of the propellers. Probably be at least a week till I have the time to get to the lhs. Not many decals. Got to love WWII planes compared to their modern equivalent.

DSCN3070.jpg

DSCN3071.jpg

Heading to the local museum today to check out the Collings Foundation's B-17G "909" and B-24. Hopefully get some good pictures.