Front windscreen fit isssue

You could use some styrene to build the fuselage sides up, either thin bits layered or a thick bit on edge. If you build it up (before fitting the canopy) slightly too much, you could then sand / trim down for a perfect fit avoiding filler.................

Yup, add strip stryene to the bottom edge and shape to fit. A pain, but not much other option. Had to do the same thing with my F-89. The windscreen sat a mm or two below the level of the sliding canopy. I didn't like the step, so up the windscreen went with the help of some strips o' plastic.

Then all ya gotta do is figure out how to get those giant fingers off the plastic! :woot.gif:

Edited by blunce

Yup, add strip stryene to the bottom edge and shape to fit. A pain, but not much other option. Had to do the same thing with my F-89. The windscreen sat a mm or two below the level of the sliding canopy. I didn't like the step, so up the windscreen went with the help of some strips o' plastic.

Then all ya gotta do is figure out how to get those giant fingers off the plastic! :woot.gif:

Yeah those fingers are another problem entirely!!

Thanks for the tips everyone.

why not just fill in the gap with several applications of Elmer's White Glue?

I've done this, the white ended up shrinking.

I've been successful with putty. I use bondo glazing and spot putty by 3M, doesnt shrink.

Put some putty in the corners where you need to fill, take the windshield and wrap it in foil. use the wrapped in foil windshield to squish the putty down to where it needs to be. Remove windshield, let putty dry. Sand, shape as normal.

I've done this, the white ended up shrinking.

I've been successful with putty. I use bondo glazing and spot putty by 3M, doesnt shrink.

Put some putty in the corners where you need to fill, take the windshield and wrap it in foil. use the wrapped in foil windshield to squish the putty down to where it needs to be. Remove windshield, let putty dry. Sand, shape as normal.

Thanks B-17 Guy. Is this the stuff you're talking about?

CIMG1853.jpg

If you have some 2-part epoxy putty you could try putting a small "noodle" of it into that gap. I don't know about other brands, but Apoxie Sculpt doesn't shrink, and you have ample time to work with it before it starts to harden. You can also smooth it out with a water-moistened finger/Q-tip/etc.. so no harsh solvents are required.

While white glue will shrink, it is also harmless to plastic. Several applications of white glue with time to dry (and shrink) between applications is a virtually risk free method, especially if the windscreen is already in place. If it hasn't yet been glued, building up the bottom and corner with plastic strips and then sanding to fit would be a good solution.

if you haven't glued it yet - I wouldn't use filler..

Trace the curve of the windshield on something like soda can aluminium. Then build up the kits fuselage with styrene strips and tamiya cement until that gap is gone. You can do this pretty quickly and won't ruin the plastic. Excessive amounts of bondo degas and it can melt the surrounding plastic. It's fairly easy to trim styrene once the glue drys.

Will take a little time but much safer and certain to give good results!

--Frank (old hand and fixing gaps)

my experience exactly!

While white glue will shrink, it is also harmless to plastic. Several applications of white glue with time to dry (and shrink) between applications is a virtually risk free method, especially if the windscreen is already in place. If it hasn't yet been glued, building up the bottom and corner with plastic strips and then sanding to fit would be a good solution.

I'll second the epoxy putty route. I've dones the same, putting a little vaseline along the clear part, then gently pushing it into the frame. You can get really close a finished product in one shot.

The bigger question I have is where does the real rivet line lie along the edge of the windscreen, and will you need to fix that as well?

I'll second the epoxy putty route. I've dones the same, putting a little vaseline along the clear part, then gently pushing it into the frame. You can get really close a finished product in one shot.

The bigger question I have is where does the real rivet line lie along the edge of the windscreen, and will you need to fix that as well?

Yeah i'm a little worried about those rivets as well. I don't wanna mess them up.