Chinook Down In Afghanistan

My condolences to the families and friends of those lost. Whether it's Al Qaeda the Taliban or whoever, prudence demands keeping our guard up....it's far from over....OBL wasn't out there by himself he had help and lots of it.

bad news indeed... may they rest in peace.....

not sure if to write this, but just got news that some of them were involved on the bin-laden raid...

Well the linked article says they were NOT part of the raid, only that they were from the same unit (SEAL Team 6) that was involved in the OBL raid.

Thank you for your service, may you RIP. :salute:

Well the linked article says they were NOT part of the raid, only that they were from the same unit (SEAL Team 6) that was involved in the OBL raid.

That depends on whether you believe that there actually is such a thing as "Seal Team 6", instead of that being a kind of nonexistent catch-all thing that the SEALs refer to when they talk to reporters and civilians. If you don't want to say which SEAL units actually participated, or even give anyone a real clue, you just say "SEAL Team 6".

Edited by Antonov

This is a huge loss of good lives and highly trained badasses... I live in Virginia Beach and only a few miles from Dam Neck where DEVGRU/Team 6 is located. I dont know a single SEAL personally but these guys were from my own town and i feel like i lost friends. RIP and i hope a few MOABS rain down on that spot any day now.....

That depends on whether you believe that there actually is such a thing as "Seal Team 6", instead of that being a kind of nonexistent catch-all thing that the SEALs refer to when they talk to reporters and civilians. If you don't want to say which SEAL units actually participated, or even give anyone a real clue, you just say "SEAL Team 6".

SEAL Team Six IS real but that was they're old name. Theyre now called DEVRGU, Navy Special Warfare Development Group.

My link

Im sure the media rather use Seal Team 6 because it sounds a lot cooler that DEVGRU or Development Group! So yes they are real and not made up. They have a huge facility at Dam Neck and i see them all the time playing on the beach in theyre four-wheelers, jumping outa planes/helos and playing in they're boats. The rest of the Teams are located across town at Little Creek

SEAL Team Six IS real but that was they're old name. Theyre now called DEVRGU, Navy Special Warfare Development Group.

My link

Im sure the media rather use Seal Team 6 because it sounds a lot cooler that DEVGRU or Development Group! So yes they are real and not made up. They have a huge facility at Dam Neck and i see them all the time playing on the beach in theyre four-wheelers, jumping outa planes/helos and playing in they're boats. The rest of the Teams are located across town at Little Creek

Thank you for that. The fantasy around Seal Team Six is just beyond my understanding. Though it was made up at first to confuse Soviet Inetlligence on the exact number of Seal teams, they do now exist for real as you mentioned. ;) And they do act as a test unit for materials on top of their missions.

Their missions are classified as per every Special Forces unit, but there are pictures/videos floating around.

Anyway may they rest in peace. Another tragic loss. :(

Thank you for that. The fantasy around Seal Team Six is just beyond my understanding. Though it was made up at first to confuse Soviet Inetlligence on the exact number of Seal teams, they do now exist for real as you mentioned. ;) And they do act as a test unit for materials on top of their missions.

Their missions are classified as per every Special Forces unit, but there are pictures/videos floating around.

Anyway may they rest in peace. Another tragic loss. :(

Ya theyre considered a "Tier One" unit, such as Army Delta so you dont hear much from those guys!

now being reported as being hit by a rpg. i'm curious if it was a full barrage or a lucky hit from a single shooter in what might have been assumed 'safe area' (i know its a warzone but as opposed to a better known threat area)

Edited by zerosystem

The report i saw from the Virginia Pilot was that it was a night raid and the MH-47 was in a hover and got hit by a RPG... Ive never shot an RPG but i would image its hard to shot an unguided rocket at a black helicopter in a black sky!! There was a second MH-47 and they landed, collected the bodies and slung the downed helo under them and flew the crashed helo home!

The report i saw from the Virginia Pilot was that it was a night raid and the MH-47 was in a hover and got hit by a RPG... Ive never shot an RPG but i would image its hard to shot an unguided rocket at a black helicopter in a black sky!! There was a second MH-47 and they landed, collected the bodies and slung the downed helo under them and flew the crashed helo home!

I've read reports that some of the bad guys are also equipped with night vision goggles, so we don't own the night as much as we used to. It may be hard to shoot an RPG at a helo but unfortunately, plenty of helicopters have gone down due to RPG fire, starting with Somalia in 1993 and continuing to the present. Way to early to tell at this point for sure what really happened.

With regard to the recovery, there is no way that happened.

I've read reports that some of the bad guys are also equipped with night vision goggles, so we don't own the night as much as we used to. It may be hard to shoot an RPG at a helo but unfortunately, plenty of helicopters have gone down due to RPG fire, starting with Somalia in 1993 and continuing to the present. Way to early to tell at this point for sure what really happened.

With regard to the recovery, there is no way that happened.

I know its early but this is the story i saw the info in...

VA Pilot

"Shortly after the crash, troops from a second helicopter managed to land safely nearby, engage the insurgents in a firefight and kill about eight of them, said a U.S. official. The men then attempted to recover the bodies of the Americans and the Afghans, as well as the remnants of the Chinook. Several hours later, they left the scene, the charred Chinook slung below the undamaged helicopter as it flew away."

I know its early but this is the story i saw the info in...

VA Pilot

"Shortly after the crash, troops from a second helicopter managed to land safely nearby, engage the insurgents in a firefight and kill about eight of them, said a U.S. official. The men then attempted to recover the bodies of the Americans and the Afghans, as well as the remnants of the Chinook. Several hours later, they left the scene, the charred Chinook slung below the undamaged helicopter as it flew away."

I didn't think a Chinook could sling load another Chinook, along with a full internal load, plus I saw some recent news stories that recovery attempts were still ongoing and there was fighting in the area.

Regardless, this is just a heartbreaking event.