What is a good shade of green to use in Mig-21 exhaust.

Given the fact that the inside will not been easily visible I'm not sure that it will be very important. The Soviet radome green wouldn't do ? I would think that green thing was a layer of enamel or ceramic and not paint.

Hi F4DPhantomII,

The petals of the nozzle, the inside of it is painted with a special green "paint". It is a kind of ceramic paint. No, it will not burn off, the metal under it will give up first!!! It is visible on the kit, very much so! With time, and service it will turn more dull and lighter shade but will be there. It is the same material as used on all other Migs too. In the afterburner section the same stuff is applied to the afterburner rings, the "flame holders".

Note that there is a considerable difference between the different engine types used in MiG-21's and the colours of the afterburner section.

Have a look at real photos, it is not just a "dark or black hole".

Best regards

Gabor

Hi F4DPhantomII,

The green in its original form is almost perfect F.S. 14110 colour. Just a shade darker. It is gloss I have to add!

After years of service it turns into anything from the original (only in matt) 34110 to somewhere F.S. 34227 to 34373 colour. I have here with me the original parts and have compared them to the F.S. scale in daylight but not on direct sun.

Hope this is of help to you.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Toadwbg,

I have no idea!!! I can give you the Federal Standard number based on the original item. I have no Tamiya paints to compare it to here with me. The F.S. scale should be a uniform form of communicating colour shades. I am sure someone with the KNOW will tell you.

The usual problem with Russian colours that in most cases they do not correspond to any Western standards. They are precisely defined in Russian standards but thats all. Even the Russian Akan paints are questiuoned by some people. I "only" have the original items and in most cases people simply dont believe me. I am sorry, I just try to help. I know that the colour is right, everyone can make a decision on their own if they use or not the provided information.

Best regards

Gabor

I am sorry, I just try to help. I know that the colour is right, everyone can make a decision on their own if they use or not the provided information.

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor,

Don't be sorry, man. Your comments are specific, on point, and most helpful. Keep up the good work!

Mrvark

The usual problem with Russian colours that in most cases they do not correspond to any Western standards.

Gabor

No prob, usually close enough is good enough on interior colors for me. I'll pick one close.

Hi Jester 292

Sorry I dont have that. If I have time I will make one, but still not sure how to post it on ARC. The earliest I will have time for this is end of August after return from Russian MAKS show.

On the other hand I dont realy see what difference a photo would make unless you want to see an F.S. scale an a piece of metal. The colour would not show right on a monitor of the computer in a way for it to be of any use in selecting a paint! But if this is what you want, as I said when I have time . . .

Best regards

Gabor