Airfix 1/144 Shuttle Stack build/STS 61-B

well I say it looks pretty darn good! Some would argue about the color of the tank :rolleyes: (which changes SOOO much throughout time of ONE mission much less from mission to mission) but I think what you have looks much better than a lot of stacks I've seen built. Not to mention really nice, clean STRAIGHT lines and masking with no visable seams. Altogether a superb build.

Bill

Thanks for the comments guys. I certainly enjoy the learning process in modeling, and this build has been teaching me a lot. Folks seem particularly passionate about this piece of our history, and reproducing it accurately is certainly a goal one should aspire to.

That said, it is also a burden to try and be perfect, and as a word to anyone interested in building a stack, remember to build it to please yourself, as that is the only person who has to live with it...

I have been taking some liberties here and there, as for me this is also an exercise in aesthetics, and what pleases me about all the photos I searched on stacks, found it's way into my model, accurate or not.

Friends and family that I share this project with have no clue about the stuff we talk about, but have an idea in their minds as to what a shuttle looks like, achieving that is good enough for me.

Between modelers however, we should seek critiques, as that is how we grow.

Happy modeling everyone!

Marco

Ohhhh, I love your Moonraker. Nice clean build there IMHO. What decals did you use? They look like the old Amaquest sheet (which was a bootleg of the Airfix kit artwork, but done with darker orange). I see you added a few of the stencils to you model that I did on mine, such as the gray "A" markings on the ET, the yellow markings on the SRBs and the red checkerboard pattern on the front of the ET. Very nicely done! I feel it is pretty much a given that if one builds shuttle models, they have to do a Moonraker as well. And indeed they do make nice projects to help figure out certain things without having to concentrate as much on a real shuttle model.

I've got a half built Revell/Minicraft kitbash stack I was doing as the Moonraker until I decided to just go ahead and finish out a 1/72 Monogram stack as the Bond shuttle. But, one day I'll get back to the 1/144 stack. I'll probably finish it as the Marine shuttle, complete with the checkerboarded SRB segments on top (which I was able to make out in a screen capture of off the Moonraker Bluray from a buddy in NZ). :)

Thanks for the comments Jay, and sorry I did not respond earlier. The decals I printed myself, also doing screen grabs from the movie, and then actually drawing out the elements in Adobe Illustrator, and printing them on Testors paper. They turned out nicely I think.

You've got EX-ACT-LY the right attitude Marco! Your model looks GREAT! :thumbsup:

You guys that are building these small little 1/144 Shuttles deserve a pat on the back ... the details you're identifying and incorporating in to your builds, (like the SRBs) is simply A-MAY-Zing!

And the colours on your ET, Marco, look pretty good to me too! ( Bill, niart7, your previous comments were nice and subtle ... straight lines and visible seams indeed! :rofl: )

Marco, keep up the great work ... you're doing just fine. I hope MY next Shuttle build turns out at least as good as yours is now! :pray:

Pete

( Bill, niart7, your previous comments were nice and subtle ... straight lines and visible seams indeed! :rofl: )

Did I type that out loud? :whistle:

Yes mriccio, that is the right attitude. I think you're capturing the shuttle perfectly. Keep it up. I need another source to steal ideas err... I mean reference.

Bill

Thanks for the comments Mark and Mike...

The ET colors are all Tamiya blends of Red, Orange, Brown and Yellow. They may not be totally accurate, but I am pleased with the results thus far, still need some weathering and decal work, etc.

The insta-foam was epoxy sculpt, rolled into thin snakes, and wrapped around the SRB's. Also used the Epoxy Sculpt to form the PAL ramp.

Happy Modeling!

Marco

Great works Dude!! :woot.gif:

Nobody can say the exact accurate colors of the ET in every shuttle mission....They CHANGE their shades ONCE EXPOSED TO WEATHER.

your ET colors is correctly depicted in every sense......and your SRB is very well detailed.

keep it up and hope to see it finished!

Best,

George

Thanks for the encouragement guys, and I am sure I would not have made it this far without it...

I am getting very close to finishing, only need to attach the engine bells, and do a little bit of pin washes with oils to bring out panel lines etc...

Here she is so far.

Marco

20120122-DSC0469-X2.jpg

20120122-DSC0482-X2.jpg

20120122-DSC0539-X2.jpg

Edited by mriccio

There is a cool daylight photo of STS-61-B after rollout to the pad.

NASA photo 108-KSC-85P-258. That photo. It is seen in black and white in Dennis R. Jenkin's Space shuttle: The first 100 missions on page 273.

Mark, I tried to find the image you reference, but could not find it. I have the book and saw the B/W, but would like to see the color photo.

Could you double check the image tag?

Thanks,

marco

Marco,

You're doing an excellent job on this build. I really like the display bases. How did you mount the shuttle stacks on the bases?

I like that picture of STS61-B next to the Moonraker stack!

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks Jay, Vince, Mike and JetPlane...

Jetplane, I still need to give the SRB nozzles a final white spray, the dark gray is a base shadow.

The displays are quite simple. They were made to allow the models to fit within my display cabinet, but as I developed the idea, I found the angle to be very dramatic. My wife thought it looked better than standing up, thinking that standing up would have required a correct launch pad, and I do not intend to spend any more time on these builds at this time. Now the models are also easily detached, as the shuttle simply rests on the ET, and the SRB's slip on the metal rods, so it is a simple task to disassemble for model shows, etc...

The base is a simple $.99 unfinished wood plaque from Hobby Lobby, lightly sanded and painted, and a few coats of gloss coat. I measured the SRB's distance and drilled little holes in which I could place a brass rod about 6 inches long. A thicker aluminum tube was slipped on top of the brass rod, and the two were bent to the desired angle.

The SRB's nozzles were drilled through the same diameter as the aluminum tube, and a metal washer was epoxied on the inside of the nozzles, to provide support.

In 144 scale, the model is quite light, so this is more a precaution than a necessity, as over time the hole drilled in the nozzles could stretch from the pressure.

That is it. If it's not clear, I will try and explain better, or take a few pictures over the weekend and post them next week!

Happy Modeling, and thanks for the feedback.

Marco

Edited by mriccio

Marco,

Can you post some pictures of your STS-61B stack from the back side? I'd like to see how the orbiter's bottom tiles look with it attached to the ET/SRB's.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Well, a model is never truly finished, as there is always more that can be done, but I am satisfied with the build at this point, and will put it away. Photographs are a great tool for finding issues, as the flash and scale of the photo bring out every little detail, but seen in person, in the natural light, I have achieved more than I set out to in the beginning.

This is a very rewarding project, and one that will be the highlight of your display cabinet, and will also fill you with a sense of pride, but at the cost of time and perseverance.

I hope you have enjoyed this thread, and that anyone interested in modeling a stack in the future may have found something of value in the process of my build. I will be happy to offer any further details or answer any specific questions.

Happy Modeling,

Marco

20120128-DSC0615-X2.jpg

20120128-DSC0617-X2.jpg

20120128-DSC0618-X2.jpg

20120128-DSC0640-X2.jpg

20120128-DSC0607-X2.jpg

20120128-DSC0608-X2.jpg

20120128-DSC0609-X2.jpg

20120128-DSC0590-X2.jpg

20120128-DSC0591-X2.jpg

20120128-DSC0599-X2.jpg

Edited by mriccio

Such a nice job you've done on this Marco! :thumbsup:

The different shades on the wings and Payload doors ... is it just paint, or did you use another material?

And the manner in which you've mounted it on the angle ... sorry, I'm gonna hafta steal that idea! :rolleyes: It looks wonderful!

Thanx for showing us the build ... the masking, the added accurizing details, it was great to watch happen!

Pete

The final shot reminds me of the dual X-71 shuttle launch in Armageddon. ;) Perfect caption would be "hey man, wanna drag?"

Thanks for the stand explaination. It is very similar to the rod and tube method I used for my 1/72 stacks. I may indeed have to do this the next time I build one.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Pete, the different shades are just paint, and some oil washes.

Mike, thanks for the comments, and look forward to seeing your build.

Jay, that would be a good caption, and an extravagant drag race for sure.

Ok, hold on. So the goal of all this stuff is to FINISH a model? "OHHHHHH...well then that's very different now isn't it?"

Man, these came out awesome(ly?) I'm almost sad to see the build finished though. Very well done and professional looking. The subtle tones, the details, the stands...all in all a great build. I know people at Nasa that would love to have one of these on their desk.

Soooo, what's next?

Bill

Bill, you got it all wrong, the goal is to make room for more models!

Thanks for the compliments, very much appreciated. Thanks again for all the support.

I bounce all over the place in modeling, my next real space being an Airfix Atlas, but what I currently have in the works...

Marco

20120128-DSC0622-X2.jpg