Homestead Makos F-16

Finished my 1/48 Tamiya with TwoBobs Makos decals. The kit and decals were a dream, my skills less so.

Decided to go completely clean on this one, as all the pics I've seen of this bird show it super clean. I decided to arm her to the teeth, though. One question, looking at pics of various GBU's and JDAMs, I saw severl pictures of each without the yellow stripes, so I went that way (I hate painting them). Does anyone know if this is common usage?

I did deviate from my references by adding a gloss black centerline tank, since I didn't have a travel pod. I'm thinking of putting the travel pod's decals on the centerline tank, but can't quite bring myself to do it.

Enjoy and comment as you will.

IMGP2110.jpg

IMGP2107.jpg

IMGP2130.jpg

IMGP2126.jpg

IMGP2145.jpg

Wow, nice job. Looks clean and neat and the paint job is awesome!

re: GBU's & JDAM's...I checked my "Modern Air-Launched Weapons" book and it looks like the GBU-31/32/38 on the port side is correct. The GBU (10?) on the starboard side has a yellow stipe in my book. But that's in the book. If you've seen them without stipes then leave it as is.

Hey, looks good to me either way!

Thanks for the kind compliments. The black is just model master gloss enamel, sanded between coats.

Bob, I didn't use the the travel pod markings, that's the regular fuel tank on the center, left gloss black. I'm still thinking I might buy a Hase F-16 someday and use the travel pod from that, and then it would be more correct.

One tip for anyone doing this bird, put the checkers on the bottom of the tail FIRST. I did mine last and didn't have enough room below the "Makos". I had to pull them and replace with new decals. Avoid my mistake!

Also, I painted the intake (inside and out) and put the checkers on the intake area before putting it on the model. It worked really well.

Edited by kozlok

Very nice! One of these days I'll build a clean bird too. Been a while since I build one with "fresh from factory" look. :whistle:

With regards to the GBUs, IMHO, painting the stripe on would've made them look even better.

The black is just model master gloss enamel, sanded between coats.

What grit? Wet sanding or dry? I might try that on my current build: "D" Hornet with VMFA-224 markings which have black gas bags.

EDIT: BTW, what paint and colour did you use for the burner can? It looks AWESOME!!!

Edited by Mike C
  • 2 weeks later...

A very nice model and the paintjob is beautyfull. I see that you forgot to put on a view parts. There is a pitot tube missing on the right side and also on the vertical stabilizer you forgot some parts. It would be nice if you add these parts to complete the model.