Do you have more kits than you'll ever be able to build?

Will you really get them built in this lifetime?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe you have more unstarted kits than you'll be able to build in your lifetime (for those 40 & over)

• Yes, most definitely
    • No, I think I'll be able to build 'em all
    • Not really sure

Am just curious to see how many of you who are over 40 believe you have more unbuilt models in your stash that you'll probably be able to build in your lifetime. This is just for FUN and ENTERTAINMENT purposes only - i.e. I'm not looking for super detailed responses, just answers to the poll question.

Edited by Scooter Man

Given that "lifetime" is a fairly large unknown variable, I'd say that I'll have enough to keep me busy for a while... assuming of course that I don't buy more...which is a poor assumption.

Between a significant stash reduction in the past few years, and an attempt to simplify the build process (forego stuff like resin cockpits, photoetch which I don't like anyway, etc.) and not spend excessive time and effort correcting minor errors, I think it is possible to get through the less than 100 kits I have on hand, assuming a more or less normal lifespan of 65-70 years. A build rate of 6-8 per year would keep me busy for a decade or so as long as I don't go wild with new purchases.

Where is maybe?

I have a decent size mountain of kits, but I can retire at 50 and have a family history suggesting I should be able to get well into my late 80s before having significant impairments to interfere with my building. At my current rate of building there is no way I'll finish it off, but with the added freetime of retirement I expect my production rate to increase dramatically, which makes building most of the stash seem like a reasonable prospect even assuming some additions.

For the past few years I have been able to get a average of 1 to 2 kits done a year. Based on the fact that I have over 500 kits in my personal stash..I think I will end up dying with the most kits on hand. At least someone will benifit from selling them off once I am gone. But hopefully that won't happen for at least the next 40 years or so. I'll consider it lucky if I make it to 80.

Robert

Yupp, definately too many.

But I've run into another problem, although the majority is 1/72 scale : If for some reason I still manage to build all my kits (which would be about 10 kits per year), the house will be too small to display all the models!

Edited by Lancer512

If, and I mean "IF" I could build 2 kits a month, I would still have kits left over after a 20 year building spree. (and that's just my Hasegawa collection).

Curt

I have way more kits than I can ever need (and I'm just barely over 40). But I don't care. I like having the selection to choose from.

And doesn't it figure that when you get inspired to build a specific subject, that, that one kit just seems not to be in the stash....

Curt

Edited by Netz

Yes, I have more than I can build

They key, however, is to reduce the size of your collection as you age. It's unfair to burden your family or friends with selling your stash upon your death. Maybe the best option is to will it to a close friend who can give the kits away.

I have 382 kits in the stash and am going to be 41 next month. I responded that I have more than I'll ever build, although that's not certain. I've had years where I've built over 30 kits, but this year I'm on pace to build maybe 15 at the most. Given my new position in my career, I probably won't build over 15 kits/year again until I retire.

I also don't plan on stopping buying new kits! :)

I'm 26 but I probably do. I knew I would run out of spending money at some point so I built up a huge stash while I could- more than 800 kits at it's largest. I would buy anything, and for a time made an effort to have at least one issue of every tooling available. (This is all automotive)

Since then I realized that not only would I not build some of the kits, I didn't even want them in the first place, only getting them just because I didn't have any versions of that tooling already- so I sold or traded off some of them. Not sure exactly how many.

Unfortunatly, I didn't have the foresight to see that I would ever get into other forms of models besides cars, and now that I have, I can't afford to buy any of the kits. My plane stash of unstarted kits is 3. My armor stash of unstarted is 1. Figures were 0 but a friend from my model club gave me some of his extras, so that total is now 4. Ships are 1 unstarted, 3 in progress. I also can't afford to get the new car tooling that they have done in the past few years, I added my first kit purchase of 2011 only last week.

Maybe not being able to add to the stash will mean I actually build off what I have.

My building rate is all over the place. I only build occasionally, when the mood strikes me. My record of completions in a year is 60 kits, my record low is 8. In 2011 I've finished 5 so far. When I did the 60 in one year though they were all pretty crappy, none of them are displayed anymore, some of them have not even survived to this point due to poor skills. (and the curse of gravity) As my quality goes up, the quantity goes down...but I had more fun I think doing a high volume of crappy models. Yet I can't bring myself to do them that way anymore, either! My usual rate is about 15-20 builds a year. So, 800 divided by 15, it will take me 53 years, 3 months and 3 days, roughly, according to my calculator. I COULD do it, feasibly, and if I ever had the ability to work all year- I basically can only do major work in spring and fall, due to having to paint outside- I could probably up my number considerably.

I realize I probably gave way more infortmation then was called for...sorry! It's just my style!