I'm currently weathering my Spitfire mkV and want to simulate chipped paint with a silver pencil. Where can I find them and any particular brand I should look for. Also any tips on how to best use them would be helpful.

Thanks.

The most popular brand (and what I have) is Prismacolor. I got mine at Hobby Lobby, but any store that has at least one art supply aisle is likely to carry them. About a $1 each.

Marking up the model depends on what effect you'd like. You can mark up a small patch to represent a sizable chip, or you can lightly mark along a panel line (say, an ammo loading panel) to represent worn off paint on access panels that are routinely opened. I also like to scuff up the leaning edges of wings/stabs as well as props. Also, you can use the pencil to show worn spots where pilots and crew are likely to walk/step.

Hope this helps!

Keep in mind that all chipping wont go all the way through to the bare metal. I use a "Willow Green" Prismacolor pencil to do some of the "chipping". It looks like primer. I also like to "chip" the camouflage down so the lower color shows through the upper color, in the case of a Spit, let the grey or earth show through the dark green (or simulate that by using the grey or brown pencil to draw "chips" onto the green). You can also make a biggish worn area showing primer around the edges and bare metal in the middle. I just tap the pencil's point on the model making very tiny dots. I let them build up until it looks right. I think that ends up more true-to-life looking than trying to draw an irregular "chip".

Check photographs of the real deal for inspiration - also, too little is better than too much if you want my two cents.