160th SOAR Night Stalkers

Been going through my photo files and found these pics i took of the 160th SOAR Night Stalkers while on a 2010 training detachment near Dam Neck here in VA! From the looks of it, one of the MH-60s was a DAP (Direct Action Penetrator) because it had the rocket pod and a chain gun installed! LOVED IT!

6027420151_128fcf3602_b-1.jpg

6027421567_f5310dbef2_b-1.jpg

6027976188_d6283bd357_b.jpg

6027440397_8e38398dc7_b.jpg

6027993674_b09ca602b2_b.jpg

Edited by flynavy

I dont know much about the different models but the DAP is sweetttt. Also had a 30mm(?) chain gun on other side but you cant see it in the pics.

Also on the Little Bird photo with the guy kicking back on the side bench, is that a FLIR or radar underneath the seat? I swear i see a round bump on the forward part under his leg....

The pylons on the MH-60 in the DAP configuration look new (to me). As does the FLIR turret.

Recently someone posted some pictures of the DAP over in Afghanistan, it had the same style pylons, also had an unusual antenna mounted above them.

These are some great pics, thanks for posting them.

John

Awesome pics, more, please! :banana:

Check the MH-47s.

mason

Good Eyes Mason. With regard to the Littlebirds, it does look like there is something underneath the plank on that one picture. Also on the very first picture with the three LB's, it looks like the lead helo has something rectangular mounted underneath the righthand plank and the helo on the right has something ontop of it's right hand blank.

Wish they wouldn't paint these things black, it makes it so hard for people like us to keep current on all the latest lumps and bumps :)

Flynavy, if you have any more pics, please feel free to post.

Regards,

John

Hi guys,

Recently someone posted some pictures of the DAP over in Afghanistan, it had the same style pylons, also had an unusual antenna mounted above them.

John

That someone would be me I guess... :D

Alas my pics are not as good as Flynavy's pics. Mine were taken with considerable zoom.

For some reason they didn't want pics taken :doh: .

Ah well, all's well...

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

Pics were taken early 2010, Uruzgan province.

Enjoy.

Pete.

Edited by chef

So on the subject of Black Hawks and the 160th SOAR, the black hawks used in the movie "Black Hawk Down", were they MH-60L DAPs but with the Pylons, pylon mounts and refueling probes removed?

I bought an Italeri MH-60K kit but the picture shows it with the box thing around the Radome as in the photos above. You can still make it without the box as it has alternate parts.

So any ideas about the Movie Black Hawks?

What is the FS number of that helo color?

160th helos are painted in a unique low radar / IR reflective black color. When new and clean, it almost has a glossy sheen to it but like CARC, it weathers quite a bit. When I did my C-model Littlebird, I used Testors' acrylic Interior Black with a light weathering of regular flat black and a bit of dark grey here and there.

Exterior markings are in OD green or with some newer birds, gunship grey.

Great pictures, hopefully someone offers up a DAP conversion kit in resin, those new plyons look pretty slick.

John

So on the subject of Black Hawks and the 160th SOAR, the black hawks used in the movie "Black Hawk Down", were they MH-60L DAPs but with the Pylons, pylon mounts and refueling probes removed?

I bought an Italeri MH-60K kit but the picture shows it with the box thing around the Radome as in the photos above. You can still make it without the box as it has alternate parts.

So any ideas about the Movie Black Hawks?

Gino has done quite a bit of research on the MH-60s used in Gothic Serpent, he has a pretty comprehensive look at the helos here.

The Italeri MH-60K is a nice kit with all of the extra bits to make most of the current UH & MH-60s.

I don't know about the movie Blackhawks, but someone may be working on decals for quite a few of the actual Gothic Serpent MH-60s. :whistle: But if anyone knows the serial for Armageddon, it might get done as well...

Great pictures, hopefully someone offers up a DAP conversion kit in resin, those new plyons look pretty slick.

John

x2

mason

Edited by doupnik