Photography - depth of field

Hopefully someone on here can clear this up for me....

When photographing a model, does the depth of field extend both in front and behind the focus point, or just behind???

So... If I know I have 10th depth of field, is that 5cm in front and 5cm behind the model, or just 10cm behind??

Thanks!!

Chris

You might try bracketing and merging the images into one.

Back away from the subject with the camera, and use a higher f/stop to take the image. Make sure you are using a tripod and remote release or use the cameras self timer. Crop and edit to get the final product.

Cameras see more than the human eye, you don't necessary need to be in that macro window to get details of the subject in your image. Reserve the macro stuff for highlighting small details and extreme close ups of an area or item.

Us old timers remember the graphs placed on top the lens to display depth of field and hyper-focal distance. The latter is the closest object in focus. When shooting models, I recommend going with aperture priority and using the largest f stop (smallest opening) your camera can handle. Set it on a tripod, mirror locked up and trip remotely or via timer.

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

Us old timers remember the graphs placed on top the lens to display depth of field and hyper-focal distance. The latter is the closed object in focus. When shooting models, I recommend going with apeture priority and using the largest f stop (smallest opening) your camera can handle. Set it on a tripod, mirror locked up and trip remotely or via timer.

Actually I would go with a higher f-stop like f/5.6 or f/8 when shooting small models. The small DOF at lower f-stops will make part of the model appear out of focus. With a larger DOF the entire model will be in focus. You will need more light or a tripod and shutter-release to do this and get a sharp shot, or use mutiple bounced flashes.

I would only use lower f-stop if the background needs to be blurred out to bring out you subject, or when shooting details.