F-16 Arctic Aggressor. Tamiya 1/48

Thanks again gents. :)

I honestly can't tell the difference between your model and the picture of the real one. The ordinance and landing gear is the best I've seen to date. Wonderfully artistic work. Did you add rivets, or do those come oob?

All the rivets are from the Tamiya kit, I didn´t add anyone.

By the way, the first picture is a photomanipulation of a shot of the model with a real backgroud, that´s why you can´t tell the difference. Sorry for cheatting you. Anyway, is a nice cumpliment. ;)

Cheers.

Q

Edited by Diego Quijano
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so i think i read through all the posts to make sure i didn't ask the same question that someone else already asked. can you briefly explain your process for the engine nozzle? it looks really awesome, and i'm curious what colors you used, alclad, metalizer, etc? very inspiring.

so i think i read through all the posts to make sure i didn't ask the same question that someone else already asked. can you briefly explain your process for the engine nozzle? it looks really awesome, and i'm curious what colors you used, alclad, metalizer, etc? very inspiring.

Hi linus,

1: I started painting the interior with Vallejo acrylics. I imitated the typical picked stain with black oil paint (not much diluted). Next I applied a wash with diluted black oil paint to the whole nozzle interior.

2: Before painting the exterior of the nozzle I first masked the inner side with masking tape. Then I applied a base coat of Alclad aluminium. I also imitated with graphite a subtle band effect on each petal that I noticed in some photographs.

3: The burned look was added with a mix of Tamiya clear green and clear red. I mixed them 50-50 and then added some red to the mix until I got the burned tone that I wanted. The front ring of the nozzle was darkened with Tamiya Smoke.

4: Finally I painted dark grey the lap zone of the petals with a brush and Vallejo acrylics. I applied the paint very diluted in two or three layers to avoid the brush marks. I also profiled the exterior details with diluted black oil paint. The final touch is a soft satin-matt layer with the airbrush.

Hope it hels.

Q

Hi linus,

1: I started painting the interior with Vallejo acrylics. I imitated the typical picked stain with black oil paint (not much diluted). Next I applied a wash with diluted black oil paint to the whole nozzle interior.

2: Before painting the exterior of the nozzle I first masked the inner side with masking tape. Then I applied a base coat of Alclad aluminium. I also imitated with graphite a subtle band effect on each petal that I noticed in some photographs.

3: The burned look was added with a mix of Tamiya clear green and clear red. I mixed them 50-50 and then added some red to the mix until I got the burned tone that I wanted. The front ring of the nozzle was darkened with Tamiya Smoke.

4: Finally I painted dark grey the lap zone of the petals with a brush and Vallejo acrylics. I applied the paint very diluted in two or three layers to avoid the brush marks. I also profiled the exterior details with diluted black oil paint. The final touch is a soft satin-matt layer with the airbrush.

Hope it hels.

Q

hey thanks, it does help! i've had a hard time with that nozzle type specifically, and you executed it nicely. thanks again!

Diego, I keep coming back to this build again and again. Really fantastic. I wanted to ask you how you did the following fine details. If it is ok, I copied your pictures and annotated them. Could you explain briefly how you did these (#1 through #5)?

Diego%20Quijano%20F-16%20aggressor%20010.jpg

(1) Chipping.

(2) Streaks of light colored fluid/water flow.

(3) Stains.

Diego%20Quijano%20F-16%20aggressor%20006.jpg

(4) Dirt scratches (did you use any special tools here? does not look like brush marks).

(5) Leaks.

I have the impression that you might be using oil paints with a brush for most of these but it would be great if you can provide some details. I am afraid to try these on my builds especially after all the painting and washing.

Thank you and please keep posting your builds. Your recent F-104 tutorial on your website is also great!

Hi Janissary, sorry for the delay.

You have a nice analytical eye. All that effects are done with oil paints, except the chipping and some leaks. I´m preparing a book with this and some other models so I can´t post too many pictures of the process. Anyway, I think that some pics are necessary, I hope the editor won´t get angry. Let´s go:

1) Landing gear chipping: Of course you can do it with a fine pointy brush and acrylic paint, Vallejo or something like that. The problem is that the paint dries very quickly in a fine brush, so this task may be tedious. For this kind of small chipping I prefer to use a fine marker. There are several colors, grey, black, brown... I used a 0.03mm grey marker from .Too. I get mine in HLJ but I suppose that can be found on most fine arts stores. Thicker markers are also useful for more visible chipping.

images.jpg

2) Streaks: On the lower fuselage I did some streaks also with white oil paint, applied in irregular vertical lines. Just when the oil has dried I smudged the lines rubbing them with a rigid bristle brush. Finally I blur the borders with a short haired brush (almost bald).

F-16_Agressor_070.jpgF-16_Agressor_071.jpg

3) Stains: I also applied an ochre oil paint filter to some panels. The stains you see are the result of an irregular filter, like a wash with diluted oil paint leaving more paint in some areas of the panel. Once dry you can smudge the paint the same way as the step before, to get a softer effect.

4) Flaps moved dirt: An interesting dirt effect I noticed in some pictures is a sort of dirt scrubbed in a radial way due to the movement of the flaps. I imitated it with diluted black oil paint applied in spots and then scrubbed with a dishevelled brush wet with enamel thinner.

F-16_Agressor_083.jpg

5: Leaks: There are two types of leaks here. The rear bigger leaks (under the stabilo) are painted with diluted black oil paint and a nº 2 pointy brush. You start the line with the point of the brush and then you press a little harder to make the mark wider. It looks better if you draw wavy lines. Of course you can smudge if necessary.

The small and straight leaks are drawn with a fine graphite pencil. You can also smudge the graphite leaks to soft the effect. These technique is very easy.

F-16_Agressor_094.jpg

Hope to have been clear enough. If not, please tell me.

Cheers. :)

Q

Diego, marvelous pictures and explanations. Thank you very much. It helps soo much! One more question if I may: Between different oil layers you apply (say between the white streaks vs ochre filter vs dark panel wash etc.), do you apply a satin/glossy clear coat (like future) to protect the first layer? I feel that if not sealed, the second oil layer and its enamel thinner may destroy the first oil layer, even if it has been dry for many days.

I look forward to your book. I hope it will be in English and we can find it in the U.S. :)

Diego, marvelous pictures and explanations. Thank you very much. It helps soo much! One more question if I may: Between different oil layers you apply (say between the white streaks vs ochre filter vs dark panel wash etc.), do you apply a satin/glossy clear coat (like future) to protect the first layer? I feel that if not sealed, the second oil layer and its enamel thinner may destroy the first oil layer, even if it has been dry for many days.

I look forward to your book. I hope it will be in English and we can find it in the U.S. :)

You are absolutely right. Sorry not having mention it, but you must seal every enamel or oil layer with a thin coat of acrylic gloss varnish (Future works perfect). This not only protects the previous effect but also allows to correct or erase the current effect.

About the book, yes, it will be in English. I suppose it will be sold mostly via Internet.

Diego can't wait for your book! Any info on when it will

Be done???

Hard to say at this time but I hope everything will be ready before summer, I mean June or so.

Thanks for the interest, Pep.

• 6 years later...