I have a question for Veterans

While I am not a vet myself due to health reasons, I always wanted to serve.... I salute all you who did. A friend of mine recently told me if you served in peacetime you were NOT considered a vet. THAT to me is preposterous. If you served you served period. What am I missing? Can someone help me on this one?

Ooh, this is one that can cause arguements for sure. To the best of my knowledge, if you were in the service during any conflict/war, you are technically a veteran, as far ar the VA is concerned, like I said, to the best of my knowledge. Now, that being said, being in the service during a war, but never deploying over seas to a combat pay zone, is differant from being deployed on a combat tour.

When I was in iraq, we used to get piised when we went to kuwait and seen all the troops stationed there, who were perfectly safe, didnt even carry weapons around with them, but yet got awarded combat patches.

This post has the potential to be a :can-of-worms:

I work for VA....if you served in any branch of the military, you're considered a Veteran, whether you served during peacetime or war. And a big "Thank You " to all who did, or still do!.

I've had patients who were in the military 30+ years and some who were in less than one year. Also ran across a few over the years who weren't in the service at all, who faked records to obtain services and equipment. Jerks like that make it hard for all the real Veterans who are just trying to get what they need.

-Mike

I was one of the last few National Servicemen to be conscripted into the Royal Air Force in October 1960. Never went overseas, never got any medals or awards. The only war zone that I was involved in was the NAAFI on a Saturday night, if we had a Unit passing through the Station, it could be like D Day come closing time. Several years ago I received The Armed Forces Veterans Badge that is awarded to all those who have served in the British Armed Forces, something that I am very proud to wear in my buttonhole.

Robin.

As pointed out in previous posts, it doesn't matter where, when, or how you served, if you served in the US Army, USAF, USN, USMC or USCG you are a veteran for the purpose of veteran benefits and also for most states veterans benefits. I have veterans plates on my car and never saw combat in a war (although I was on active duty during the most recent war).

If you served in a service branch and have a DD form 214 with an honorable discharge, you're considered a veteran. I'm not sure about a general discharge or other than honorable discharge and how that may impact an individuals benefits eligibility. I believe a dishonorable discharge keeps you from obtaining almost all veterans benefits (as it well should).

He may be confusing a 5 to 10 point vet's preference in applying for US Civil service job. Vets who have served in combat or have service related disabilities get a bump up the list of qualified candidates. I served 21 years, 4 on active duty 17 in the reserves. But no injuries and no combat duty so no Veterans Preference.

An idiot at work took exception to the fact I have Veteran plates. In his opinion serving in the "paint ball army" as he puts it does not count. Not only was the coward afraid to discuss his comments in the parking lot he was none too willing to be schooled in the facts of what service involves.

Now, I fully admit I did not land on Juno beach, and the only times shot at were criminal events and not "war". But to get the plates, (in my provence) your record is confirmed on the recommendation of the Royal Canadian Legion.

Guess they felt my 12 years counted for something. One idiot at work is NOT going to diminish the pride felt as I know I served.

What if you were in the National Guard during the Vietnam

war?

After graduating from college in 1963 (just prior to the start

of the Vietnam war) I joined the NM NG. Served my 6 years (NM Guard

not being called for duty in Vietnam) and went on with my life.

After retirement I inquired to the local VA hospital about getting

medical benefits. I was told I did NOT qualify as a Vet as I was never

at an active duty station or on active duty during my 6 month training.

In other words your basic and MOS training time does NOT count as

being on active duty.

If the NM Guard had been called up (which it almost was) for the

Vietnam war I would be considered a VET otherwise NO.

Cheers,

Jerry

Who Served But Is Not Considered A Vet :crying2:

What if you were in the National Guard during the Vietnam

war?

After graduating from college in 1963 (just prior to the start

of the Vietnam war) I joined the NM NG. Served my 6 years (NM Guard

not being called for duty in Vietnam) and went on with my life.

After retirement I inquired to the local VA hospital about getting

medical benefits. I was told I did NOT qualify as a Vet as I was never

at an active duty station or on active duty during my 6 month training.

In other words your basic and MOS training time does NOT count as

being on active duty.

If the NM Guard had been called up (which it almost was) for the

Vietnam war I would be considered a VET otherwise NO.

Cheers,

Jerry

Who Served But Is Not Considered A Vet :crying2:

...But I will still THANK YOU and many others too...FOR YOUR SERVICES...no matter what you did..

HOLMESY :salute::salute::salute:

He may be confusing a 5 to 10 point vet's preference in applying for US Civil service job. Vets who have served in combat or have service related disabilities get a bump up the list of qualified candidates.

Actually, if you served during specified dates, whether you were in combat or not, you are eligible for the bonus points. I got quite familiar with that when I worked for the Census last year.

While I am not a vet myself due to health reasons, I always wanted to serve.... I salute all you who did. A friend of mine recently told me if you served in peacetime you were NOT considered a vet. THAT to me is preposterous. If you served you served period. What am I missing? Can someone help me on this one?

I think you are making a misconception. Someone who served in a war is a war veteran.

I am a vet, disabled with a service connected disability, while in a VA hospital I talked with others on a daily basis, some were like me Vietnam vets, we spent a year or more in SEA. There were others who were considered Vietnam era vets, meaning they were on active duty at some point during the period from 1959 to 1975, but did not pull any duty in, offshore, or over Vietnam. 24hrs on the ground in 'nam qualified some hazardous duty pay, and other benefits IIRC. To me all this is fodder for discussion, if you signed on the line, and stepped forward to perform duties in defense the US; IMHO you are a veteran :salute: . Where or when service was done is of little significance, as I recall I don't know anyone who was afforded a personal preference where or when he/she carried out their duties.

Edited by Angels49

A vet is a vet........as long as you are an 11 series MOS, have a CIB, and we're apart of a Light Unit!

That works for the states. We don't get a badge for being under fire. Crap it took me 12 years for my first award. (CD) I do not mean to anger anyone by the next statement. Its just a fact.

Some services give out medals for basic training, an award for being a good shot. Until recently Canada did not even have a "sacrafice award" basically our version of your "purple heart".

we told the wounded to "duck next time".

We did a check with an American Marine unit once back in the 90s. We figured we would all have between 3 and 4 rows if Canada gave awards like the US, as opposed to the one or none all of us had.

Now, this in no way deminshes the way one person serves over another. Just different ways. But I still think if you did your time and left service honourably then your a veteran. Perhaps not a war vet but a vet.

By the way, I was a medic attached to a light infantry unit. On "retirement" from the reserve I was Company Sergeant Major HQ, HF of C, even though I was NOT qualified for the position by rank, just by being the only Sergeant stupid enough to accept the job.

Crap our I/C was only a Lt.

I feel your pain. Sadly, awards and scare me badges me very little anymore. Too many folks faking the funk to get medals they never should have....purple hearts, bronze stars, a certain silver star, and plenty of CAB/CIB's. Personally I'd do away with the badges and tabs...just ain't what they used to be.

Don't forget those who served during the "Cold War". At times we were only a step or two away from a war

Just think about those who stood guard in missile silos or in submarines. Those who refueled the missiles in the silos. Those who did carrier landings or worked the decks of ships in stormy weather. Those flying helos through mountain passes at night. Those jumping from aircraft with loads I wouldn't even want to walk with. Those standing guard on the walls in Korea and Cuba. Those manning the radars and servicing the equipment in Alaska.

A lot of service men and women do dangerous and challenging jobs in peacetime. Some of them get injured and some get killed. They all deserve the title veteran just for serving.

Edited by dmk0210

If you have a DD214 then you are a vet.

I have a DD-214 which released me to my NG unit and then my Honorable

Discharge 6 years later from the NG. However, I am still not considered a Vet because I did not serve in the Regular Army on active duty after

my basic/MOS training but returned to my NG unit.

Cheers,

Jerry

Hello all, but really, this from where I'm sitting is America and the last time I check, their are always those that like to separate out the so called "REAL MEN", the gun ho types, I also served and I could care less about what someone wants to tag me as. Get over it, if you served in any branch, your a vet. Men, geezzz give it a rest.

Tonal