1/32 Spitfire masks - AML

Hello,

I would like to use AML masks for spitfire but I can not tell weather these markings are for late or early versions.

I need late version, so If anyone knows the variants please let me know.

You can see here what AML offers (scroll down for other):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AML-1-32-Markings-C2010-Spitfire-HF-Mk-IX-Mask-System-/230592497854

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure what you mean by 'early or late'. The link is to a set of masks for 2 specific MkIXc Spitfires.

According to the notes, there are masks for the national markings and code letters, and decals for everything else.

So, the masks themselves could be used on any Spitfire of that period. The code letters would limit you to those squadrons or any squadrons with that combination.

So, I don't see anything that precludes you using them on early or late build MkIXs , or any other Sptifire in service at that period. If you are asking if these would work for a MkI, or an early MkV then no, unless you had a particular subject that was still serving at that period.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi, thanks for answer.

The link is for two specific Spitfires, but if you scroll down you will se others, I am asking for any of them.

I need to know if any of these is late. The reason why I need late is because I have already built cockpit details and other things as "late" and can not make early any more (I decided not to use markings I originally planned, but I decided that after I have already built it as late :deadhorse1:).

I would like to use masks, but I first need to know are these late spitfires because I can make only late now.

Cheers!

There was no "early" or "late" camouflage pattern on Spitfires (or any other fighter/bomber/transport.)

There was a master design, drawn by the Air Ministry, which was a guide for the manufacturers to follow. Supermarine produced a drawing of the Spitfire, with 1 foot (roughly 30.5cm) squares superimposed on top, which was intended as a guide (only) for the person cutting out the masks. This was transferred onto the sheets of rubber, and the masks were cut out. There were certain points which had to be exact, but the shape of the patterns could (and did) vary by an inch, or two, and nobody bothered about it.

The only item that you need to watch is the upper-wing roundels, since they changed in January, 1945 to red/white/blue, similar in style (but not size) to the under-wing roundels. If your model is before the end of 1944, you should have no problem.

Edgar

Hi, thanks for answer.

The link is for two specific Spitfires, but if you scroll down you will se others, I am asking for any of them.

I need to know if any of these is late. The reason why I need late is because I have already built cockpit details and other things as "late" and can not make early any more (I decided not to use markings I originally planned, but I decided that after I have already built it as late :deadhorse1:).

I would like to use masks, but I first need to know are these late spitfires because I can make only late now.

Cheers!

I'm sorry, I don't see any other examples in that link, no matter how far down I scroll. I only see MK483 and ML171

Assuming you are referring to 'late' MkIX details vs 'early' MkIX details, then the basic masks for the National markings (the roundels and fin flashes) should be the same, however, see Edgars point on the changes in January 1945. You would have to be more specific on which exact Spitfire (Serial) you are proposing on building and in what timeframe (as many aircraft ended up moving between different squadrons, or had different personal markings through their life, then the particular scheme you have selected may date that aircraft to a very particular point in time).

If you are proposing on using one of these sets completely (roundels, squadron codes and serials) to build a specific aircraft, then I think you need to tell us what those serials are, and what you mean by the 'late' details in the cockpit. Spitfire development was a fluid process. So a 'early' serial MkIX may still have survived long enough to be fitted with mods made later in its life, whereas another early serial may have been destroyed before that mod and would not have had it.

If you really want to be that particular to make sure the features you have in the cockpit match the specific aircraft you are going to paint it as, then this is the level of research that you need to go into. Otherwise, its probably not something to get overly concerned over, so long as you have the correct Mk and armament fit for the serial you are building.

Cheers,

Matt

There was no "early" or "late" camouflage pattern on Spitfires

I don't mean camouflage patterns.

I mean on differences between cockpit details and etc between early MkIX and late MkIX. Tamiya gives options to build either eraly or late. I have built late type and model is ready for paint. Now I would like to use AML masks but I already have late type ready to paint. That's whay I wanted to know weather these spitfires are late or early variants (I dont' mean on camouflage etc, as I said I mean on cockpit diferences between early and late and other diferences.

OK, let's keep it real simple. The question is:

If you would have these masks from AML and you would like to use them on your model, which parts for the cockpit would you use? Parts for ealry type or parts for the late type? :huh:

I know explain really bad, but I give my best. Sorry

:D

Cheers!!

I'm sorry, I don't see any other examples in that link, no matter how far down I scroll. I only see MK483 and ML171

Assuming you are referring to 'late' MkIX details vs 'early' MkIX details, then the basic masks for the National markings (the roundels and fin flashes) should be the same, however, see Edgars point on the changes in January 1945. You would have to be more specific on which exact Spitfire (Serial) you are proposing on building and in what timeframe (as many aircraft ended up moving between different squadrons, or had different personal markings through their life, then the particular scheme you have selected may date that aircraft to a very particular point in time).

If you are proposing on using one of these sets completely (roundels, squadron codes and serials) to build a specific aircraft, then I think you need to tell us what those serials are, and what you mean by the 'late' details in the cockpit. Spitfire development was a fluid process. So a 'early' serial MkIX may still have survived long enough to be fitted with mods made later in its life, whereas another early serial may have been destroyed before that mod and would not have had it.

If you really want to be that particular to make sure the features you have in the cockpit match the specific aircraft you are going to paint it as, then this is the level of research that you need to go into. Otherwise, its probably not something to get overly concerned over, so long as you have the correct Mk and armament fit for the serial you are building.

Cheers,

Matt

Ah ok. Just wanted to know if it is possible to tell from the look on the AML offers weahther these are late or early. If not, then I'll use late. All I know that there is late variant and early. Eduard also gives detail sets for late and for early, also seatbelts for late and for early. These are the diferences I refer to. If it is not possible to te tell which detail set to use (earl or late) with these masks I'll use late. Thanks for help.

Cheers,

Marko

Ahh, that is better.

Looking at those sets, then as a rough rule of thumb, the aircraft with the large pointy rudders are 'late' and the aircraft with the smaller rounded rudders are 'early'.

Cheers,

Matt

Ahh, that is better.

Looking at those sets, then as a rough rule of thumb, the aircraft with the large pointy rudders are 'late' and the aircraft with the smaller rounded rudders are 'early'.

Cheers,

Matt

Ah, thats it! Thanks,

Marko

The pointed "Mk.XII" rudder was introduced from February, 1944. Incidentally, there was no such thing as "early," or "late" harnesses, since all high-back Spitfires used the Sutton harness right through the war, until 1946; only the low-back IX/XVI/XIVs used the type with the quick-release parachute-style box, and, even then, only from early 1945.

Edgar