Hobby Boss 1/48 F-105D kit

I'm not sure of all the errors in the Monogram kit, but the Hobbyboss kit does repeat the nose shape error in that it is a straight sided cone shape where it should be a slight curve. I believe the ventral fin is either the wrong shape or thickness as well, not too sure about any others.

HTH

Edited by Modelmkr

Dmold makes a nose correction for it. I bought 2 of them. The first one I bought featured poorly scribed panel lines but the other was very good. It's a challenge to install due to warping, but not impossible. DMold and Quickboost make corrections for the ventral fins. The kit builds up real nice, though. I recommend checking out The AMS resin cockpit for it- that one features great detail and is engineered to fit in with minimal work.

Actually, the slight curve to the nose is a bit of a myth according to a modeler buddy of mine who worked on Thuds in Nam as a crew chief (and he has studied Thuds for many years). The reason you see a slight curve on top is that your eye and any photos natually like to curve that shape as it changes perspective on the full size plane when viewed from the side. So it is an optical illusion. The straight line is correct to the Republic drawings.

As for the HB kit, at the very least it does need a new ejection seat as the kit seat is a bit undersized. A new pit would be nice to get as well, yet I don't think it is necessarily a requirement. Personally, I think the Monogram kit is better overall for a D and I am saving my Hobby Boss kit for an F-105B conversion (using an Airwaves nose and a spare F-84F instrument panel) to do a Thunderbirds jet.

Actually, the slight curve to the nose is a bit of a myth according to a modeler buddy of mine who worked on Thuds in Nam as a crew chief (and he has studied Thuds for many years). The reason you see a slight curve on top is that your eye and any photos natually like to curve that shape as it changes perspective on the full size plane when viewed from the side. So it is an optical illusion. The straight line is correct to the Republic drawings.

As for the HB kit, at the very least it does need a new ejection seat as the kit seat is a bit undersized. A new pit would be nice to get as well, yet I don't think it is necessarily a requirement. Personally, I think the Monogram kit is better overall for a D and I am saving my Hobby Boss kit for an F-105B conversion (using an Airwaves nose and a spare F-84F instrument panel) to do a Thunderbirds jet.

I do know that the Hobbyboss nose is pointier than the Revell kit

I had a chance to compare a Monogram kit to the real thing not too long ago. The shape of the kit's nose is actually pretty good. The real jet's nose is very slightly curved, but like Jay says, its not nearly as curved as drawings show and photos seem to show. The most forward 1/4 of the radome is cone-shaped, and everything aft has a veeeery slight curve. The Monogram kit's radome is just a little undersized in diameter where it mates with the fuselage, so you get a little step there. The pitot tube part is slightly off-center, which I think also makes the nose look funny.

I've read that the Hobby Boss kits have all the same problems that the 1/32 Trumpeter kits have.

Ben

AMS Resin makes a gorgeous thud pit. He actually went and looked at a museum aircraft to do it too.

The wheel wells on the HB kit aren't as good in my opinion as the Monogram ones, and the spar that goes through the Monogram fuselage to reinforce the seams, does not exist on the HB kit. Some of the landing gear doors are undetailed IIRC.

Also, the main wheels are wrong in profile (wheel tire ratio at least) and the nose wheel has 12 spokes on one side and 6 spokes on the other IIRC. In service, the B had 8 on both sides and the late ANG B's, D/F/G all had 12 on both sides. Royale resin makes gorgeous wheels for this kit. http://www.royaleresin.net/

Here's the early wheel. http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle3/f-105g_62-4427/images/f-105g_62-4427_34_of_39.jpg

Here's the late wheel. http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle3/f-105f_63-8343/images/f-105f_63-8343_057_of_184.jpg

I don't like the shape of the tanks or shape/size of the pylons.

Edited by redwoodmodels

The 105 happens to be my all time favorite single engine jet. I’ve built 12 of them and each build makes pushes me to another. The Monogram/Revell kits are great kits that go together well and for the price you can easily load your stash up. If you can, hunt down the Monogram boxing, better plastic, crisper molds, better fitting over toe Revell releases. The Revell of Germany boxing has softer detail and poorer fit but nothing drastic due to the molds aging plastic is softer also. Main landing gear need to be beefed up as the kit will shake and shimmy due to their length…I cut mine at the oleo strut, drilled out the halves and inserted a straight pin…problem solved!!! The HB kit is an OK kit if you can live with all of it’s issues…cockpit too narrow, rivets way over done, ventral fin too fat/wrong shape, and if you are building a “G†it has the “D†tail, basically a scaled down version of the Trumpeter 1:32nd kit…I’ve got both and a 1:72 “D.†As far as the nose shape, to be honest the only kit that is truly accurate in shape it the Tamiya 1:100 kit and it’s a real gem…even with the raised panel lines, it’s the most accurate in shape of any boxing of the F-105. I’d go with the Monogram boxing over the Hobby Boss any day…and yes I’ve re-scribed 6 Monogram kits 2D’s, 2 F’s, and 2 G’s, some day I’ll build them, as soon as I finish my Hobby Boss 105’s…just kidding, I gave the HB’s away. Go Monogram!!! :thumbsup:

Mac

Hello,

a few years ago I build the Monogram F-105 and it was a pleasure! I did a little extra work and it came out satisfying.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=139066&st=0&p=1243488&hl=onescale&fromsearch=1entry1243488

Now I have a Hobby Boss Thud with all the Aires/Quickboost/D-Mold/Royal Resin/Hobby Decal/True Detail....etc. goodies on the shelve, and I'm looking forward that build (when ever it will be...)

To me the HB kit looks good and I'm hoping it will be less work than the Monogram kit....?

Regards, Jens

I'm building the HB one at the moment and so far no major dramas.

I did remove and re-scribe some of the panel lines on the nose forward of the cockpit where inconsistencies are most noticeable.

As a guide I used the 3-view included in 5004 Modern Military Aircraft "Thud" by Lou Drendel.

What HB have missed completely are the strengthening strips (?) that run across the internal bomb bay doors.

From the bottom view attached you can see that 3 bands run across the bomb bay and go partly up the fuselage sides.

http://tig.ludost.net/pics/airdisk/USA/F105/Plans/f-105-2.jpg

One at the front and two further back.

No hanging offense by any means but as the Thud stands pretty high on its legs it is noticeable.

Here's a side view as well:

http://tig.ludost.net/pics/airdisk/USA/F105/Plans/f-105-1.jpg

Hope this helps.

I have several Monogram F-105D's and G's just wondered if the Hobby Boss was an improvement over Monogram.

I had the same question a while back, and I went with the Monogram kit + a few aftermarket goodies. With a little elbow grease and patience it can turn out quite nicely.

I've read the above, but to my eye, when it comes to the nose there is still enough of a discrepancy between what I see in photos and the model to annoy me:

f105thunderchief-g008.jpg

f105dru.jpg

F105D_021.jpg

Model is Revell. Again, to my eye, the HB kit is no better unfortunately in this area.