United States Air Forces in Europe Group Build proposal

USAFE GB, a good idea?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. I will join a USAFE GB

• Sure
    • Meh... there's no Bf-109's in it, so no

I've been toying with this idea for years, and this week in the secret chatroom we decided it was time to give it a try.

I've been fascinated by the United States Air Forces in Europe since I can remember and a lot of my builds are of USAFE subjects. All my Desert Storm GB builds were USAFE, for example. I was wondering if others share this fascination too, and are willing to join in a Group Build with USAFE as a subject.

I suggest to start this GB on February 1 2012, as this is the 70th anniversary of the activation of the 8th AF (yes, the mighty 8, of B-17 and B-24 fame in WW2) which was the direct predecessor of USAFE, and make it a standard 6 month GB. I think there's something for everyone in this GB; from WW2 bombers and fighters, trough century series jets, transports and tankers, nuclear missiles, recce planes, right up to the present teen fighters.

I'm willing to be a mod for this GB, as I enjoyed running the DS GB a lot, and cpoud117 will be the other mod.

So, what do you think?

Edited by Pete

Maybe its me, but I'd rather see it not include WWII... There are plenty of builds that address that segment of interest already (Its probably the most popular topic), but very few that actually cover the Cold War period. Then again its probably a necessity to get more interest. You might also consider messaging some of the people in the non-aircraft modeling forum. they have a couple of great builds in there that are army related.

Regardless, I'd be in with something from the stash.

Edited by -Neu-

I was at Ramstein for nine years. I like to build aircraft that were part of Ramstein's history. I have a 1/32 scale 86th TFW F-4E planned, and when Hobby Boss gets their 1/32 F-84G on the market, that would be a prime candidate for a 86th aircraft as well!

It will depend on the timing of the GB.

Maybe its me, but I'd rather see it not include WWII... There are plenty of builds that address that segment of interest already (Its probably the most popular topic), but very few that actually cover the Cold War period.

The reason I want to include WW2 is that the formation of USAFE was a direct result of the war and its outcome. That, and the 70th anniversary of the formation of the 8th AF. But I do hope the most builds will be of the post war period.

I would love to take part in this group build with anything from my local ex-base RAF Alconbury. An RF-4C or A-10 or F-5E or TR-1 or maybe all would be great to do. Count me in :thumbsup:

Already complete an RF-4C 'Starize' earlier this year and something to sit alongside it would be good.

cpoud117 - What a fantastic picture, a really unique angle to Alconbury air base.

Pete

I would love to take part in this group build with anything from my local ex-base RAF Alconbury. An RF-4C or A-10 or F-5E or TR-1 or maybe all would be great to do. Count me in :thumbsup:

Already complete an RF-4C 'Starize' earlier this year and something to sit alongside it would be good.

cpoud117 - What a fantastic picture, a really unique angle to Alconbury air base.

Pete

I was stationed at Alconbury from 1990 to 1992....

Some nice suggestions so far, guys. If we get 20 votes for "Yes", I'll send a PM to Steve to get this one on the calendar. :)

Here's another nice USAFE pic for you. It's an EC-130 based at Sembach AB in then West Germany and assigned to the 66th Electronic Combat Wing. Sembach AB housed various types of planes over the years, in its final years these EC-130's and OV-10's were based here, and it also functioned as a Forward Operation Location for the UK based A-10's in case of war. You can even spot A-10 silhouttes on the hardstands. Sembach closed as an airbase in 1992 and served on as Sembach Annex for Ramstein AB. In 2010 it was transferred to the US Army.

EC-130H_over_Sembach_AB.jpg

Edited by Pete

Pete:

There is a thread in non-aircraft modeling for a call for submissions for an US Army Europe AFVs... I think it would be kinda cool to combine the two and get a mix of both. I'd actually contribute a M60 too... it would get it over 20 people.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=234509

Edited by -Neu-

I like this idea, but shame of it is, I just finished an ETO P-47, and am better than halfway into 2 more. All 56th FG. Need to have them done by Nov 6, which is well before you Gb starts. Starting a build in Jan, due to restrictions on painting inside, I'd probably not have it ready for June. (If GB is 6 months, that'd actually be July 1, which I just might be able to accomplish. Hal Sr

Ok, how about this.

We expand the subject to USAEUR (US Army Europe) and Europa land based USN (NAS Rota, NAS Sigonella, etc.) planes as well. And since there are quite a few canadians around here, we'll throw the No. 1 Air Division/1 CAG in as well. We could call it the North American forces in Europe GB, or something. I think we should keep it to subjects actually based in Europe. No Coronet deployments, no REFORGER etc. Maybe an exception to the Mildenhall Det. 4 U-2/TR-1's and SR-71, since this was an ongoing program. Dual assigned units like the 49th TFW with their F-4D's and later F-15's are ok too.

I'll ask the people from the thread Neu linked to if they like this idea.

Lemme know what you think, I'm open for suggestions. ;)

Edited by Pete

We have our Bitburg Eagle sheets going to the printers very soon so there's another avenue in regards to a modeling subject for you guys! Need someone to sponsor prizes? I'm in!