United States Air Forces in Europe Group Build proposal

USAFE GB, a good idea?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. I will join a USAFE GB

• Sure
    • Meh... there's no Bf-109's in it, so no

There's this one at Airfighters.com. The guy who took the pic is a member here on ARC and goes by the name of Sig Saur & Son. You could ask him for permission to use the pic in a banner.

I was looking at that photo and was going to email him when I found this one on Wikipedia.

38th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, 26th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing, take off from Zweibrücken Air Base

Can somebody pop out a GB banner with this pic? Was also wondering what programs you guys use to make these banners?

I'll give it a try. I saw that pic too, but it didn't have the one you requested on it. It's still a nice pic though, and should be easy to use in a banner. The program I use for it is "Gimp", you can download it for free. The banner you have now was made with photoshop.

(PS, check your RF-4B decals thread in Buy&Sell)

Edited by Pete

OK Pete, I'm in. 480FS F-16CM from Spang, Spring 2011. 1/72 Revell kit.

If anyone can score me an ALE-50 pylon or a left-mounted HTS please PM me! Looks like I may be advancing my currently rudimentary scratchbuilding skills.

Is there going to be a thread in the GB section for this? Also, I hear we're letting the armor folks in. This should be interesting. Maybe I can come up with a quick tank build in time for the end...

OK Pete, I'm in. 480FS F-16CM from Spang, Spring 2011. 1/72 Revell kit.

If anyone can score me an ALE-50 pylon or a left-mounted HTS please PM me! Looks like I may be advancing my currently rudimentary scratchbuilding skills.

Is there going to be a thread in the GB section for this? Also, I hear we're letting the armor folks in. This should be interesting. Maybe I can come up with a quick tank build in time for the end...

Would the HTS from the Hasegawa's 1/72 kits be acceptable? I'm not sure if they are the left or right side, but I've got several (I'm using block 50 kits to build block 30s... so they are unnecessary.)

Edit: Apparently all of them are right sided... as well as the one on the Academy kit. I'm still happy to part with them if you want...

Edit #2: From the looks of it the only source of an left sided HTS is Hasegawa' IX weapon set. I don't have one but was planning on getting one later in december or early January (I need the JDAMs). If you can wait that long I'll get them to you.

Edited by -Neu-

Neu-

Thanks for the kind offer, and for letting me know about set IX. It is the ONLY Hase weps set I havent bothered to purchase yet (I have two of some of them), but it is on my shopping list now! Decision still to be made: Sniper or Litening... <_<

Happy Thanksgiving!!

A current Spang F-16 would be cool, Ben. Are you going to use the Wolfpak sheet for it? As for the Litening or Sniper pod, I think that depends on the loadout. I've seen pics of Spang F-16's armed for Lybia with HARM's and the Litening, but also a pic of one in Afghanistan with Jdam's and a Sniper pod. Good luck with the Have Glass paint job. :)

Less than a week now, folks, get those kits ready! Has everybody decided what to build yet? I myself might do a Spang F-15C, 1/48, with a black box cockpit, Aires exhausts, Wolfpack MSIP update and Superscale decals. Also on the list are various Phantoms, F-16's, F-47, F-84, RB-66, F-111, F-102, and what not. We'll see how much I can do.

And here's another pic. A transporter-erector-launcher (TEL) for the BGM-109G ground launched cruise missile stands in raised position as members of the 485th Tactical Missile Wing conduct a simulated launch. The TEL is pulled by an M-1014 German MAN tractor.

BGM-109GGryphonTEL.jpg

This ground launched cruise missile was based in Europe from 1983 up till 1991, and was subject to great debate, along with the Pershing II missiles. The basing of these nuclear missiles led to major demonstrations in various countries. They were based in the UK, Germany, Italy, Belgium and were to be based in the Netherlands. The base at Woensdrecht AB was completed, but no missile was ever based here because of the controversy and the early cancellation of the program. These truck launched missiles were stored in large shelters, and in case of conflict and during excersises they deployed to pre-surveyed locations in the countryside.

Will be doing a 1/32 Tamiya F-16CJ with Astra Decals for a late Spangdahlem bird. Will add a Wolfpack Sniper pod and Wolfpack GBU-38s. Will try to modify an Academy BRU-33(?) into a BRU-57. The Have Glass finish....... this will probably be an innaccurate build in that respect. Second build if i have the time will be a 1/72 Revell B-17G with Kits-World decals for a B-17G A Bit of Lace markings. Should be a great group build.

Don

My first two builds will be 1/48 F-15's

Hasegawa F-15A/C~not decide which unit yet,most likely Bitburg.

RoG F-15E~this one will be 90-0248 in 1992. Since this is a USAFE GB and 02/21/12 will mark 20 years of Strike Eagle operation's from RAF Lakenheath.

I was one of many who hung around that chilly febuary day waiting for that first F-15E (0248) to arrive with then 48th FW Commander Col Mike Guth in rear seat.

Will always miss my beloved F-111's but it was a changing of the guard.....it scary to think where the time has gone!

I might be over-exposed on this one but I've collected a few F-16s for the GB... I don't think I've built one in over 20 years, so I might as well get it all done with.

Hasegawa F-16A Hahn Gunschool boxing

Hasegawa F-16C Block 30 X2 512 and 526 FS (these are actually Block 50 kits I'm just going build into Block 30s)

Hasegawa F-16C Block 40 Spangdahlem - Fighter School boxing

Hasegawa F-16C Block 40 555 FS - Triple Nickel boxing.

Fujimi F-16C Block 30 (?) 52nd TFS - Black Owls boxing)

Academy F-16C Block 52 52nd TFS (basic boxing)

Six out of the eight I bought just for this GB. I don't know if I'll get 8 done, but maybe five is realistic. I also intend to build an Revell M60A3 in 72.

Its going to be a busy few months.

I haven't built a model in well on to ten years, but why not jump back in with both feet? Chuck Sawyer, who many of you might know is currently building an incredibly detailed 1/32 scale F-4E from the 512 TFS at Ramstein as it was during the TAM 80 bombing competition (with a little bit of help with detail photos by yours truly), has shown generosity above and beyond anything I've ever personally experienced. He has sent me, free of any charge, a Tamiya F-4C/D, along with resin intakes, seats, and exhausts.

Hokey smokes, I guess the writing's on the wall! Count me in for this group build thing with a 1/32 F-4D with AirDoc decals. I haven't decided on markings just yet but I'm leaning to Hahn or maybe Spangdahlem as it would be seen standing Victor Alert with a B61 on the centerline. Since I don't have a AM32A-60 external power cart or a TAB-V hardened aircraft shelter, it won't be a complete diorama. But I do hope to do credit to this model and to Chuck's charity. But please don't expect that my knowledge of the F-4 translates to modeling skills!

The only USAFE F-4Ds I ever photographed personally were Torrejon jets at Red Flag. Here's three:

66-7715March1982NellisAFBScottRWilson-1.jpg

66-7525NellisAFBMarch1982ScottRWilson-1.jpg

66-7551NellisAFBMarch1982ScottRWilson-1.jpg

Now could someone could please tell me how to attach one of those nifty banners to my posts?

Scott W.

Amazing pictures as usual Scott.

For your signature problem here is how you should proceed:

Click on you name on the very upper right corner of the page to display a short menu and select "my profile"

When the new page is here click on "edit my profile" on the not so upper right corner (just bellow the ad)

Select "change signature" on the left

Add a photo link to your signature like you'd add a picture to a thread

Save changes

Voilà

Have fun ;)

Edited by cpoud117

I have these kits lined up,

1. Tamiya's 1/48 A-10 with 81st TFW, 511th TFS, Bentwaters AFB
  2. Monogram 1/72 F-15E Strike Eagle with 492 Fighter SQ, Lakenheath
  3. Hasegawa 1/72 RF-4C 38th TRS, 26th TRW, Zweibrücken
  4. Hasegawa 1/72 F-4E from Spangdahlem

Would like to build them all but lets see what time will allow.

Edited by Spectre711

Some excellent ideas so far, people! :thumbsup:

Scott, I think you're modeling skills are excellent. I remember seeing your 1/32 RF-4C, and it certainly is nothing to be ashamed of. Can't wait to see that F-4D :woo: Thanks for posting those TJ Phantoms, but I have a question. What's string for that goes from the wingtip to the tail?