United States Air Forces in Europe Group Build proposal

USAFE GB, a good idea?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. I will join a USAFE GB

• Sure
    • Meh... there's no Bf-109's in it, so no

Some excellent ideas so far, people! :thumbsup:

Scott, I think you're modeling skills are excellent. I remember seeing your 1/32 RF-4C, and it certainly is nothing to be ashamed of. Can't wait to see that F-4D :woo: Thanks for posting those TJ Phantoms, but I have a question. What's string for that goes from the wingtip to the tail?

That RF-4C was the last model I ever completed. I thought it was a fair piece of work but not up to par with some of the masters on this site. But thank you for the compliment.

The string (parachute cord) ties the pitot tube cover and bellows probe cover together and I guess it allows the crew chief to pull the covers without climbing up on the jet. To me it never made any sense. You have to climb up on the jet to install the covers, why is pulling them off from the ground so important? I can't think of any other reason for the cord, unless maybe the cord is to help hold the covers on the probes so the wind can't blow them off as easily. I really don't remember. I do know the cord was very common on Phantoms. Here's a couple more photos I took over the years that show it. I think it was actually more rare for the probe covers not to have the cord, most of my photos show it.

66-8735April301983CarswellAFBScottRWilson.jpg

66-0333GeorgeAFB21TFSDec82ScottWilson.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

A current Spang F-16 would be cool, Ben. Are you going to use the Wolfpak sheet for it? As for the Litening or Sniper pod, I think that depends on the loadout. I've seen pics of Spang F-16's armed for Lybia with HARM's and the Litening, but also a pic of one in Afghanistan with Jdam's and a Sniper pod. Good luck with the Have Glass paint job. :)

Pete-

Yes, these are the Wolfpak decals. No decision on pod yet, but I'm shooting for a mixed load of GBU-38s and AGM-88. Looks like there is another entrant with a similar build, but in 1/32. This will be an interesting contrast in scales!

I just remembered that I have decals for a Torrejon F-16 from back in the day. "El Cazador" was the name on the plane. Could be a 'plan b' if I chicken out on the Spang build.

I just remembered that I have decals for a Torrejon F-16 from back in the day. "El Cazador" was the name on the plane. Could be a 'plan b' if I chicken out on the Spang build.

If you have the SuperScale decals in 1/48th, be aware the name "El Cazador" is printed on the decal sheet much too large compared to how it was when I photographed the real 81-0758 on October 4, 1983. I don't know if the airplane originally carried such an oversized name that was later repainted much smaller, or if SuperScale just screwed up. I'm guessing the latter. Here's my photos:

81-0758October41983RamsteinScottRWilson.jpg

81-0758closeupScottRWilson-1.jpg

81-0758closeup2ScottRWIlson.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

The string (parachute cord) ties the pitot tube cover and bellows probe cover together and I guess it allows the crew chief to pull the covers without climbing up on the jet.

Thanks for the explanation. I figured it would be for that, but like you said too, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Got the banner thingie figured out yet?

I was going to wait until I have time to figure out how to make a banner with one of my own photos rather than re-use the other very nice ones already put out there. Sure wish I had been able to photograph one of the F-4Ds myself that I am considering for my model's markings, though!

I thought I did, but it seems a bit too large. I think I'll pick a different photo, the KC-135's window was a bit dirty so this photo didn't come out as sharp as I'd have liked. I'll mess around with it more later, hope it's not too annoying for now.

Scott W.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

If you have the SuperScale decals in 1/48th, be aware the name "El Cazador" is printed on the decal sheet much too large compared to how it was when I photographed the real 81-0758 on October 4, 1983. I don't know if the airplane originally carried such an oversized name that was later repainted much smaller, or if SuperScale just screwed up. I'm guessing the latter. Here's my photos:

Scott-

Thanks for sharing the photos! I actually have the Superscale 1/72 sheet, but they may have made the same mistake in that size as well. Things are looking like a GO for the Spang Viper, so I will concentrate on that! Looking forward to Friday to start this build.

I thought I did, but it seems a bit too large. I think I'll pick a different photo, the KC-135's window was a bit dirty so this photo didn't come out as sharp as I'd have liked. I'll mess around with it more later, hope it's not too annoying for now.

Scott W.

I think if you shrunk the size of the banner, it might tighten up the details on the photo... I like that photo quite a bit actually.

Ok, I know that the GB was supposed to start today, but Steve hasn't put up the sub forum for us yet. I have sent him a PM, so I guess we'll have to wait a little longer.

My apologies.

(BTW, this doesn't mean you can't start building those kits now. I myself have started on a HH-53C today.)

OK, I may get in trouble, but I've begun building. No F-16's just yet, but a 3rd Armored Division M1A1. 3rd AD stood in harm's way (Fulda Gap) in West Germany for decades.

This is Tamiya's 1/35 kit:

2051240310037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

Not as much detail as a Trumpy or Dragon, but builds much faster. I won it at a show raffle a few years ago.

Hull isn't together yet, just a dry fit:

2263851330037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

Marking option I'll be doing for an HQ tank with the APU on the back:

2633821490037620395S600x600Q85.jpg

The red maneuver plaque on the bustle will give it a little color.

Thats a fun kit to build, I did one years ago in the in the MERDC winter US & Europe verdant. You know the standard four color green and brown with smaller amounts of sand and black. Wanted to do a snow temperate scheme and a red desert but never got to it.

Edited by Spectre711

I didn't even know Canada used the Comet, so I looked it up. Looks like they were assigned to No.412 Transport Squadron at CFB Rockliffe. So, I'm sorry, no it doesn't count.

Ok, here's my first build:

PC050586.jpg

An Italeri 1/72 HH-53C. It will eventually look like this one: HH-53. This HH-53 was eventually upgraded to MH-53M status and was finally retired in 2008 and flown in an RAF C-17 to the RAF Museum in Cosford.

Will be using Wolfpak decals on this one.