Jetranger State Police Helicopter

" After much thought, I have finally decided on what will be at least my first project for the Rescue Group Build. I will be modeling the Bell Jetranger 206 that was the first medevac aircraft flown by the Delaware State Police. This program began back in 1971. The aircraft is very similar to the currently available 1/32 scale kit. I am using a Testor's version that was purchased over E-bay a few months ago. Reference photos are very hard to find. The photos below are courtesy of Robert Ward. There is a replica of this aircraft on display at the Delaware State Police Museum in Dover. This replica aircraft was made from a donated military variant. From the photos below, you can see there are differences. As I am told, the replica aircraft was made from photos, and recollections of troopers and pilots who flew on the original aircraft. On a historical side note, I am told that the original aircraft sustained severe damage in a hard landing during 1971. I was unable to find any photos of what the interior configuration was like to include a patient on a back board. Later aircraft were designed so that the co-pilot seat was removeable, and the patient's feet would rest next to the pilot. I am designing this aircraft to accomodate a similar situation.

warddsp56.jpg

This is a really cool picture. I wish that the tail of the aircraft were in the photo. I don't know if this was staged, or spontaneous, but cool none the less...

dsp-K91972.jpg

This is the Museum replica mentioned above.

Museum.jpg

I have started the project, but as my hobby room is in the process of being reorganized. My "photo area" is also not set up at the moment. I hope to have some pictures up real soon. I am really enjoying seeing everyone else's projects and progress!"

This was originally posted about a year and a half ago as part of the Rescue Group Build". Life has a way of getting a head of you. Anyway, I have recently made contact with a retired DSP Trooper/Pilot who has provided some additional information on this aircraft. So, I have dusted this project off, and along with Winnie's timely information - I will move forward with this build.

Here is a new picture of the aircraft when it was delivered:

N71SP-delivery_02.jpg

One question - Does anyone know what interior paint colors were offered on civilian Jetrangers in the early 1970's?

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

David,

Sounds like a nice project. Upon reading your initial post, I didn't think I had any photos that would be helpful. However, I dug down deep in the USAAM archives and found the pics below. They show two civilian 206's that were tested by the Army Aviation Test Board. They look to be at Cairns AAF. You can see that the paint schemes are very similar to the Delaware police bird you posted above. The blue bird looks to be the provisional airworthiness aircraft and the green bird is a production model 66 ships further down the line. Hopefully these help with some of your interior color questions. PM me if you'd like the high res versions. HTH

Ray

OH-580096.jpg

OH-580095.jpg

OH-580093.jpg

OH-580092.jpg

OH-580091.jpg

OH-580141.jpg

OH-580140.jpg

OH-580139.jpg

OH-580138.jpg

OH-580137.jpg

This will be a great project, keep it on David.

Ray, those are fantastic Jet Ranger photos, wow, surely the JR is one of my favourite choppers, Ray do you have more photos of the white/green JR or just the high res pics? might need some interior shots if you have them. This definitly has caught my eye, and definitly has entered my future projects...

Thanks man!

By the way, can sombody help me with the green color, it looks like a metal green, but dont know wich one can i use??

Thanks.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

Ray,

Thanks for the photos! I got a little work done on the project last night, just no photos... :crying2: I cut out the co-pilot's bulkhead leaving a horizontal piece in place as per Winnie's photo. I will add a triangular brace piece to the inner corner. I need to put the front and rear bulkheads in place, and decide what adjustments need to be made to the seating surfaces to make the aluminum backboard level. I will also add the hinged bulkhead piece from behind the co-pilot seat and place it next to the flight controls by the pilot.(see photo below)quote from Winnie:

What you are refering to is the "Litter Kit" which actually allows you to put two spacial built strechers in. you have to shut down the machine and let the rotor blades come to a stop, then opne the front door, THEN with a lever, open the "strecher door" which takes the door post from between the front and rear cabins, the rear door has an atttachment point at the rear edge that you hook into, letting the door swing the wrong way.

THEN you remove the copilot seat, and swing the bulkhead forward. you also have to remove the back seat cushion and back rest from the LH side.

THEN you can slide in the first strecher, which is difficult, particularily if the patient is heavy...

You can then strap the patient in using the seat belts and when you close the door again, you reattach the door-post, which also has a notch to secure the strecher in place, close copilot door, and bob-s-yer-uncle!

It is a pain in the buttocks, but works good.

One of the times I did this I had to do 2 attendants (nurses actually) one sitting on TOP of the patient administering CPR, and one ventilating. Whilst I flew the machine to a different location before we dropped the patient off at an airplane...

Here is a shot from the front, showing the bulkhead swung forward, and the strecher in place

Cheers

H.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/Shark-41/IMG_0391.jpg

Additional hardware will be added to make attachment points for the backboard. I am hoping to find some additional reference material regarding the "litter kit" conversion regarding the removeable door post. More to follow... Thanks for checking this project out!

David

Edited by hooknladderno1

Great pics, as always, Ray.

N1300X is the third JetRanger airframe produced. The 'Provisional Airworthiness" markings would date that picture as around early 1966. Is that a Studebaker station wagon in the background in the first photo?

I recall standard JetRanger interiors of that period were white (with a very slight cream tinge). Seats, carpets (when fitted) were color-keyed to the main exterior trim color (i.e. blue seats for blue exterior trim).

Hi Gents,

Finally some pictures:

I started off with the IMC/Testors/Revell 1/32 scale Jetranger kit. As this aircraft was delivered in 1971, it is correct for the period. Here you will see where I filled in the co-pilot side stick control:

Int_02.jpg

Side view of the front seat/bulkhead:

Int_03.jpg

view of the front bulkhead from the rear:

Int_01.jpg

You will note the "L" shaped bracket that I originally placed to "give the impression" that the aircraft was equipped with a "litter kit". Since these photos were taken, I removed the bulkhead material above the "L" bracket, and will complete the modifications mentioned in an earlier post. Thanks to Winnie, Ray and the photos borrowed from the Internet, I now have a fair idea of what the litter kit configuration looks like.

bell-2067biii1.jpg

credit to online helicopter traderwebsite.

full_51.jpg

credit to aviation display heli.com.

Now that I have some reference material, as well as EWD Matt's info on the interior colors, I have a direction in which to proceed! The parts pictured have taken a bath in the "purple pond", and will be repainted an off white. Modifications will be made to the interior to more closely match the photos. I realize that the second "litter kit" photo is of a Longranger, but the basic idea is there. Hope to make some progress this weekend as long as I am not busy bailing out from the hurricaine...

David

Edited by hooknladderno1