Standard SU-33 weapons loadout?

Hi Everyone,

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts or info on the standard SU-33 weapons loadout? Is it the same as land based SU-27s or do the jets feature any naval specific weapons systems or layouts?

Wolfpack/Windmark SU-33 set includes no weapons and makes no reference.

Su-33 is an Su-27K, which means naval variant. The outboard pylons usually carry R-60s or R-73s. The inboard pylons can carry ground ordnance as well as a2a ordnance, but typically loaded with R-27Ds or R-27EM. It can carry R-27ETs on the 3rd pylon next to the wing fold. Some su-33s can carry the SS-M-18 sunburn, BUT they only tested that as a demonstration only.

Thanks Utley!

Does anyone know a 1/48 aftermarket producer of R-73s?

I have some of Miniarm's R-27 sets, but I'd like to add some more. How accurate are Trumpeters R-60s in their SU-24 kit?

I'm guessing that most of Academys ordnance in the SU-27 box is pretty crude in terms of detail and accuracy?

Dont know about R-73's, but here are a few items that can be fitted on the Su-33.

http://www.aires.cz/category/arms-and-weapons/

The guided missiles there arent good for the Su-33, AFAIK, only the Su-25T and the Mig-29K can carry those specific weapons. The rockets and the iron bombs can be fitted onboard though...

Edited by utley
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the Hasegawa Su-33 instruction sheet with such a diagram.

wingtip pylons - R73 or R-60

underwing - outer - R-73

underwing - middle - R-27R/ET, R-73, R-77, 2x B-8

underwing - inner - R-27R/ET or R-77

under intakes - R-27R or R-77

center pylons - R-27R or R-77

Hope that helps

I have the Hasegawa Su-33 instruction sheet with such a diagram.

wingtip pylons - R73 or R-60

underwing - outer - R-73

underwing - middle - R-27R/ET, R-73, R-77, 2x B-8

underwing - inner - R-27R/ET or R-77

under intakes - R-27R or R-77

center pylons - R-27R or R-77

AFAIK, the R60 was never used on Flankers; I doubt its weapon control system even supports it (why bother when you have R73s and Su-27 was not exported those days). R-77 is definitelly not supported (unless they modernize the radar and the WCS with the recent overhaul, but that would be surprising considering the announcements that the Su-33 will be replaced by the MiG-29K). R-27T/ET can only be carried on the middle underwing pylons (which have the required installations for the missile's IR seeker head coolant).

Really surprised that Hasegawa included R60s and R77s at all; and R27Rs instead of R27ERs. Whoever did this analysis really messed it up.

Thanks guys!

I had heard that R-60's weren't used just recently. But for me I wanted to give my Sea Flanker just missiles, R-27 and R-73 type.

I'll be modelling my bird from the Kuznetsov deck, so the armament will be light, not fully loaded up. Thanks everyone for the input and information, it's much appreciated as the Wolfpack boxing includes no pylons or details about armament at all.