Got the ole' Revell A-6E Intruder and need some references...

I picked up the 1990's version of the Revell Intruder kit and need some guidance on inaccuracies. I've been looking for articles but really haven't had any luck. Do you know of any good resources for the build? Found a few good pics on the web but nothing like a DACO book. I've also bought the Avionics cockpit, Verlinden update (it's got the boarding ladders), Afterburner Decals (late mod), G-Factor gear, Aires seats, Super Bug seamless intakes, Royale Resin wheels, and replacement refueling probe. Is there any else? Thanks for all the help in advance.

Randy

Well, are you trying to build it as a TRAM Intruder or as a straight A-6E before those mods? As I recall, there wasn't necessarily anything glaringly wrong with the Revell kit (aside for some fit problems with the wings and ejection seats molded into the back wall of the pit). Its just the resin bits added a little more detail is all. I've seen plenty of Revell A-6Es done OOB and they look great in the end.

Only really good print references out there for the A-6s are the Detail and Scale books, and those can be TOUGH to find these days.

Hi Randie! :wave:

Uh-huh, as Jay says, the Revell Intruder's a darn fine kit. I've used the Verlinden superdetail set on it as well, 'n' the only thing I regret 'bout havin' done so is just regardin' the intakes; oughta have gotten some seamless suckers for it - either CE or DMold's - 'cause the ones in the kit look way too shallow... :crying2:

Other than that, the only issue I had was with the exhausts; they were a real PITA.

Cheers now,

Unc²

There's nothing really out of wack about the kit. It will build an A-6E or an A-6E TRAM right out of the box, or with a little bit of backdating (most of what you need is in the box), an A-6A. It's a quantum leap over the Fujimi A-6 kit which I think is the only other game in town in that scale until the Kinetic kit comes out.

Squadron Signal also did a good book documenting the A-6. I believe it was called "Intruder" and was just a stand-alone publication, not from the "Walk-Around" or "In-Action" series. I have not seen a copy in several years but it is a good reference if you can find it. Hope you enjoy your A-6 kit............it builds up well and with a little TLC is as good as anything else out there. :banana:

Well, Italeri likely WILL have a 1/48 A-6E in their line next year when Kinetic issues theirs. Italeri typically reboxes Kinetic kits as they have done so with the EA-6B Prowler. All things considered though, the Revell kit will still be a good strong option as it came out during the good ole days of the Revell Monogram merger when Monogram was on top of their research game IMHO.

Ah, my favorite attack jet! The Revell kit is a great kit and builds up into a nice model of the real jet. The only thing that bugs me is the ventral scoops which aren't shaped right (even the Kinetic EA-6B failed to fix) and the larger air scoop on the upper rear fuselage for the A-6E. The latter just doesn't look right at all. Reshape or scratch build a new one because the kit part is just ugly! For the rivet counters, the inboard wing fences are off by a few millimeters on the kit (but the wing is a little off too but no big deal). The kit cockpit is accurate, only missing the details in the (vertical) center console panel between the seats and a circuit breaker panel to the right and behind the B/N's ejection seat. The instrument coaming is too round, it should be flatter than depicted (one can steal the Kinetic Prowler instrument coaming and make it fit). There is quite a lot of plumbing, wires and cables, as well as pushrods behind the seats that is missing in the kit cockpit and both available resin cockpits. The kit cockpit sidewalls are simplified but match the real thing. Black Box/Avionix' resin cockpit just makes up the details behind the seats (not the rear deck) but once the seats are installed, the details are hidden. The other issue I had with the kit is the fit of the arresting hook well. Fixing the gaps in there was troublesome. I sure hope the new Kinetic kit will have the arresting hook separately to attach to the well, I would love to build an Intruder catching a three wire or an in-flight "in the groove" model display!

Over in Zone Five there's a great build up of an A-6E SWIP Intruder. Here's the link, just copy and paste to your browser then DELETE all the asterisks in the link you see as you can't post a link here directly, which is too bad:

http://www.***zone-***five.net/showthread.php?t=10501***

By the way, there is also the Paragon Designs A-6E Intruder SWIP wingfold set as well as a separate set for slats and flaps in resin. Out of production however.

Edited by PlasticWeapons

Well, are you trying to build it as a TRAM Intruder or as a straight A-6E before those mods? As I recall, there wasn't necessarily anything glaringly wrong with the Revell kit (aside for some fit problems with the wings and ejection seats molded into the back wall of the pit). Its just the resin bits added a little more detail is all. I've seen plenty of Revell A-6Es done OOB and they look great in the end.

Only really good print references out there for the A-6s are the Detail and Scale books, and those can be TOUGH to find these days.

Gonna build the TRAM Intruder, just can't get away from the "greys." Is there a good replacement for the targeting ball? The one in the kit is void of detail. I know I can add some but if there's a replacement why bother.

Randy

Hi Randie! :wave:

Uh-huh, as Jay says, the Revell Intruder's a darn fine kit. I've used the Verlinden superdetail set on it as well, 'n' the only thing I regret 'bout havin' done so is just regardin' the intakes; oughta have gotten some seamless suckers for it - either CE or DMold's - 'cause the ones in the kit look way too shallow... :crying2:

Other than that, the only issue I had was with the exhausts; they were a real PITA.

Cheers now,

Unc²

Bought the Super Bug seamless intakes hopefully they'll be an "easy" addition.

Randy

Squadron Signal also did a good book documenting the A-6. I believe it was called "Intruder" and was just a stand-alone publication, not from the "Walk-Around" or "In-Action" series. I have not seen a copy in several years but it is a good reference if you can find it. Hope you enjoy your A-6 kit............it builds up well and with a little TLC is as good as anything else out there. :banana:

I found the Warbird Tech book at Barnes and Noble for about $30 and it had some pretty good reviews. Never used this series of books.

Randy

Ah, my favorite attack jet! The Revell kit is a great kit and builds up into a nice model of the real jet. The only thing that bugs me is the ventral scoops which aren't shaped right (even the Kinetic EA-6B failed to fix) and the larger air scoop on the upper rear fuselage for the A-6E. The latter just doesn't look right at all. Reshape or scratch build a new one because the kit part is just ugly! For the rivet counters, the inboard wing fences are off by a few millimeters on the kit (but the wing is a little off too but no big deal). The kit cockpit is accurate, only missing the details in the (vertical) center console panel between the seats and a circuit breaker panel to the right and behind the B/N's ejection seat. The instrument coaming is too round, it should be flatter than depicted (one can steal the Kinetic Prowler instrument coaming and make it fit). There is quite a lot of plumbing, wires and cables, as well as pushrods behind the seats that is missing in the kit cockpit and both available resin cockpits. The kit cockpit sidewalls are simplified but match the real thing. Black Box/Avionix' resin cockpit just makes up the details behind the seats (not the rear deck) but once the seats are installed, the details are hidden. The other issue I had with the kit is the fit of the arresting hook well. Fixing the gaps in there was troublesome. I sure hope the new Kinetic kit will have the arresting hook separately to attach to the well, I would love to build an Intruder catching a three wire or an in-flight "in the groove" model display!

Over in Zone Five there's a great build up of an A-6E SWIP Intruder. Here's the link, just copy and paste to your browser then DELETE all the asterisks in the link you see as you can't post a link here directly, which is too bad:

http://www.***zone-***five.net/showthread.php?t=10501***

By the way, there is also the Paragon Designs A-6E Intruder SWIP wingfold set as well as a separate set for slats and flaps in resin. Out of production however.

The guy building on Zone Five is going well beyond what I planned on doing, but I bet it's gonna be a looker when he's done.

Randy

I don't know what kind of detail you can get from a ball shaped designator in the first place. They are pretty featureless in real life.

You know, Fighters have had all the fun in group builds and so have the bombers, but I've yet to see a dedicated Attack aircraft group build (anything with an "A" designator or perhaps a "G" designator if it is British). That would open it up to A LOT of Navy birds from the A-1 Skyraider to the A-6 and A-7.

I don't know what kind of detail you can get from a ball shaped designator in the first place. They are pretty featureless in real life.

You know, Fighters have had all the fun in group builds and so have the bombers, but I've yet to see a dedicated Attack aircraft group build (anything with an "A" designator or perhaps a "G" designator if it is British). That would open it up to A LOT of Navy birds from the A-1 Skyraider to the A-6 and A-7.

Your right the ball doesn't have much detail but the one in the kit is void of detail. It would be nice to have some stuff off the beaten path to work with. I'm looking forward to this build.

Randy

Angles-of-Attack-9780739302491.jpg

Just finished reading this book that I found on Amazon for $5. If this book doesn't (a) inspire you to build an A-6 from the Fightertown Desert Strorm sheet or (B) answer any questions you might have on weapons loadout then you're in the wrong hobby.

An excellent read, some good technical stuff as well but easy to follow. This is like Steven Coonts "flight of the ntruder" but better. Book focuses on the author's journey as a A-6E pilot with VA-145's Desert Storm deployment. The opening chapter pretty well starts with his opening attack on the night of 17th Jan (HARM & Rockeye attack).

(Sorry, but I also posted this on the Fightertown "manufacturer's link on ARC")

Edited by FIGHTS ON