Strangest model kit auction I've ever seen....

Matchbox Flower-class Corvette.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/380362177916?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

A great kit, no doubt, but I bought mine on ebay a couple of years ago for €25 including post. Admittedly, it was a Revell Germany re-issue, don't know how much the original Matchbox packaging adds to the price. But this is just pure dumb.....

And looking at the bid history makes it even weirder....

:jaw-dropping:

Which would be strange to me considering I've bought stuff from him multiple times and never had any issues with him. Looks to me like some rookie went nuts.

I'm sure E-Bay will take a look at it since it's a rookie who's bid on a ton of auctions recently from a lot of different sellers:

rookie's Bid History

Edited by muswp1

Which would be strange to me considering I've bought stuff from him multiple times and never had any issues with him. Looks to me like some rookie went nuts.

I'm sure E-Bay will take a look at it since it's a rookie who's bid on a ton of auctions recently from a lot of different sellers:

rookie's Bid History

yeah, i also have buy a lot of stuff from stupidtoy99, never have an issue.

I'm a repeat customer as well, and have never had a problem.

+1, I've bought things from that seller in the past.

It's sort of weird, it looks like the buyer has no idea how to set a maximum bid. I'm in the "probably some kid crank bidding" camp.

I've probably won about 45-50 auctions from stupidtoy99 and they are on the straight and level in my book. I'll go along with the rookie bidder/kid theory, I certainly don't think it is the seller.

I've dealt with this seller myself a few times and, not that I am taking sides, why is it that everytime ANY seller on eBay gets a ridiculous amount for an item, people ASSUME it is shill bidding? So what if it is a new bidder. Any consideration given that it is someone who saw the kit and just decided to register in order to bid on it? I could understand if there was a constant history with a seller of this happening, different storey perhaps. I personally do not have the time or inclination to check out every bidder a selller has and at the end of the day, who cares? Takes at least 2 bidders to escalate a price and as long as I am not one of the two shelling out for an overpriced kit, I could care less...

did seem an over the top bid , but the revell rebox does not include the british corvettes markings like the matchbox one and also worth remembering is that the kit is suitable to build into a radio controlled boat as i did with mine

why is it that everytime ANY seller on eBay gets a ridiculous amount for an item, people ASSUME it is shill bidding?

I could care less what people want to bid and how much an auction raises, it was the bidding history that looked dubious.

peebeep

Well, (unsurprisingly) it's been relisted. Just to be clear, I never called into question the sellers ethics. I've seen them on ebay for a long time, and I think I may have even bought from them in the distant past. What gets me though is not just the strange bidding of the newbie (Bid on 185 listings with no feedback) but that two other experienced ebayers were willing to pay $605 and $653.99 respectively.

Why don't my auctions go like that?

:tumble:

If you look at the box, it is probably a first issue of the kit direct from Matchbox and not a reissue from Revell. While we all on ARC would seem to be builders (mostly) we may forget that some model buyers on eBay are collectors and on the collectors market crazy prices like this can and do happen.

I have had an older Dragon/DML USS Princeton kit sell for over $75 about four years ago when it retails for around $30 in the upgraded version today. Turns out the guy served on the Princeton. I also sold a very toylike Nitto USS Nautilus submarine kit to some guy in France for around $60. He was a toy collector and the guy he was bidding against had served on the ship and really wanted it. He actually sent me a message to see if I had another. I paid $5 for it.

eBay is a crazy place, most of us won't understand some of the prices we see, but it doesn't always mean something fishy is going on.

If you look at the box, it is probably a first issue of the kit direct from Matchbox and not a reissue from Revell. While we all on ARC would seem to be builders (mostly) we may forget that some model buyers on eBay are collectors and on the collectors market crazy prices like this can and do happen.

I have had an older Dragon/DML USS Princeton kit sell for over $75 about four years ago when it retails for around $30 in the upgraded version today. Turns out the guy served on the Princeton. I also sold a very toylike Nitto USS Nautilus submarine kit to some guy in France for around $60. He was a toy collector and the guy he was bidding against had served on the ship and really wanted it. He actually sent me a message to see if I had another. I paid $5 for it.

eBay is a crazy place, most of us won't understand some of the prices we see, but it doesn't always mean something fishy is going on.

absolutely !! as mentioned condition of collectables is everything to collectors !!

as said us builders would shudder at a price like that but it is the original matchbox packaging with complete kit ( as i mentioned earlier the revell boxing does not include the HMS Bluebell option ) and only has the canadian and us options

in the collectors world that is reasonably cheap all you need is two or more bidders willing to pay on a rare to turn up item

I have built 4 of these kits (all of which are now in various museums across Canada) in both long and short forecastle versions. I have two more in my stash. The ~average~ price for this kit ranges between $90 and $120 Canadian. I've seen a few sitting on the shelf for as much as $150 but they sit there for a very, very, very long time.

This kit is now out of production and unlikely to ever see production again considering the size of the thing when built, the number of parts, the age of the molds, etc... Still, in my mind, it's still one of the best models ever issued. As it was that no two corvettes were ever alike (especially after a refit or two), the variety of detail and painting that you have at your disposal is almost limitless.

that said, $655 USD for this kit is absurd.

thanks

David