SBD-3 Dauntless

Hi guys,

Just a quick question... were the SBD-3 Dauntless' ever painted in the Tri-Color Scheme on the "Front Lines"? I've never noticed one. I'm growing weary of the Blue/Gray over Light Gray, and was hoping to paint one of my SBD-3s in the latter paint scheme (but not from a training squadron if possible).

Thanks,

V.C.

Yes, definitely. The ones the RNZAF operated were all in the three colour scheme & as they drew their aircraft from USN stocks they must have been so in USN service. Do a google iamge search for Dauntless SBD US Navy & you'll find a heap of pics of both period shots & model schemes. The Airfix 1/72 Dauntless is in a USN three colour scheme.

Steve.

Yes, definitely. The ones the RNZAF operated were all in the three colour scheme & as they drew their aircraft from USN stocks they must have been so in USN service. Do a google iamge search for Dauntless SBD US Navy & you'll find a heap of pics of both period shots & model schemes. The Airfix 1/72 Dauntless is in a USN three colour scheme.

Steve.

Hi Steve

To my knowledge the SBD-3's and 4's that RNZAF 25 Squadron/Servicing Unit received at Seagrove, in New Zealand 1943 were in the Blue Grey scheme.

RNZAF SBD 3/4

Later SBD-4's under lend lease at Espiritu Santo were 4 tone, as were the SBD-5's

Regards

Alan

Hi Steve

To my knowledge the SBD-3's and 4's that RNZAF 25 Squadron/Servicing Unit received at Seagrove, in New Zealand 1943 were in the Blue Grey scheme.

RNZAF SBD 3/4

Later SBD-4's under lend lease at Espiritu Santo were 4 tone, as were the SBD-5's

Regards

Alan

Fair enough Alan, I'll give you that but 4 color? Unless you are counting nonspectacular sea blue & glossy sea blue as different I only count 3, Sea Blue,Int Blue & White. To my mind the finish variations of Sea Blue are normally counted as one hence most talk of 3 shades rather than 4 though they do weather somewhat differently. Apologies to VC, I missed the bit about SBD3s, so unable to contribute any more on this, as Alan has said & my resources confirmed, our SBD3s & early -4s were in the 2 color scheme, blue gray over light gray.

Steve.

Fair enough Alan, I'll give you that but 4 color? Unless you are counting nonspectacular sea blue & glossy sea blue as different I only count 3, Sea Blue,Int Blue & White. To my mind the finish variations of Sea Blue are normally counted as one hence most talk of 3 shades rather than 4 though they do weather somewhat differently. Apologies to VC, I missed the bit about SBD3s, so unable to contribute any more on this, as Alan has said & my resources confirmed, our SBD3s & early -4s were in the 2 color scheme, blue gray over light gray.

Steve.

Hi Steve

4 Tone comes from

ANA 607 Non Spec Sea Blue Upper fuselage

ANA 606 Semi Gloss Sea blue Wings/Tail planes upper

ANA 608 Non Spec Intermedate Blue Mid Fuselage/vert stab

ANA 601 Non Spec/Insignia white Fuselage/wings/tail planes lower

Note: Caveat F4U-1 Outer wing panels lower ANA 608 Int blue

also some aircraft had the Semi gloss and Non spec sea blue meet

such as F4U-1's F6F's etc.

Granted the Non Spec Sea blue and Semi gloss Sea blue are more or less

the same, just variations of sheen, but have different ANA numbers so

therfore 4 tone.

For a long time it has been the accepted that 3 tone was the name and,

to be honest it doesn't bother me if people refer to it that way, but

to my understanding the "Official" nomclamenture was 4 tone.

Check out this article

US Navy Tri color

Interestingly My late father had a book written by a Kiwi Author on the RNZAF

F4U-1's and in his book, the author noted the term 4 tone as opposed to tri tone,

and that was from the 1970's

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

Thanks for that info Alan, its a fair point you make, though I'd never been aware of references to 4 color schemes, I guess I'd always fallen back on 3 color as the correct name for this. What was the book your Dad had, I've a few on RNZAF subjects but nowhere near enough & it'd be good to have another to track down.

Steve.

What was the book your Dad had, I've a few on RNZAF subjects but nowhere near enough & it'd be good to have another to track down.

Steve.

Hi Steve

Not 100% sure, as it's been a few years since I saw it

and it's been with my Mom overseas, but I seemed to recall

it was only about RNZAF Corsairs.

You might have this or try to find this one

"N.Z.P.A.F. & R.N.Z.A.F. AIRCRAFT COLOUR SCHEMES - CORSAIR" - by RUSSELL Warren P.

Marking, photographs and histories of Chance Vought, F4U-1/F4U-1D and Goodyear FG-1D Corsairs

New Zealand Aero Products

Sorry couldn't be more specific

regards

Alan

Hi, I've got that one Alan, great book, always sorry that AFAIK vol 2 never eventuated. I've got 1 & 3 (I think) It was sure a heads up to me that RNZAF schemes were a real mine field. I'll keep digging for other Corsair volumes.

Cheers,

Steve.