Astronaut on the Moon build

But believe it or don't, from the front, it's fine, but from that one, low angle from the back, there it is, it was pointed! Thanx Eagle Eye! I wasn't even looking for that.

Here's a coupla views of the new, wider shoulders. They were bulked up with Milliput. And you know what, they look much, much better! :D

Pete

I believe I believe! Yes, it does look much better in those views. I figgered you had fixed or were gonna fix that. Sometimes the camera does in fact lie. Awesome! Question about some of the surface detailing, it appears the kit actually has some pretty decent details of seams and other details (i.e. the leg area lines), how much of that did you add and how much is as is?

This is gonna be great! I really really want to find this kit now.

Bill

Question about some of the surface detailing, it appears the kit actually has some pretty decent details of seams and other details (i.e. the leg area lines), how much of that did you add and how much is as is?

Bill

All those leg seams are the kit's. They aren't correct for this suit version, (but I'm gonna leave 'em in), but do appear in Apollo 11's photos. The boots have some nice little details too!

Thanx again for your comments gents, I do appreciate 'em! :thumbsup:

There's just a little bit of construction remaining and then it's just paint ... and a base. Believe me, I'm just as curious to see how this ends up as you all! :banana:

Pete

Pete, how you always manage to come up with such eye candy boggles the mind. But whatever you do, DO NOT STOP at all.

Now those PLSS clips in the chest region, are they common to all the suits? Reason I ask is the reference photo is of Irwin wearing a J mission A7L suit and those later suits have a few differences from the first ones. Although I imagine in this case, it is a matter of "the more things change, the more they stay the same".

On 9/12/2011 at 2:48 PM, Jay Chladek said:

Pete, how you always manage to come up with such eye candy boggles the mind. But whatever you do, DO NOT STOP at all.

Now those PLSS clips in the chest region, are they common to all the suits? Reason I ask is the reference photo is of Irwin wearing a J mission A7L suit and those later suits have a few differences from the first ones. Although I imagine in this case, it is a matter of "the more things change, the more they stay the same".

Thanx again gents!

Jay, as I'm building a 'J' mission suit, (Apollo 17's Gene Cernan) these RCU clips are appropriate for this suit. But I'll assume the attachment method is the same for the early missions too.

Bill, I've already built the Rover ... but it's just a little guy at 1/32 ... but with Photoshop, hey, maybe I'll make it work!

2v2J7rNzmxAnAAS.jpg

This'll be a large update ... I've been having some fun!

I've been getting some of the subassemblies done, but the 2 stumbling blocks are the PLSS thermal cover and the LEVA helmet. The PLSS cover I've been waffling as to whether or not to cover it or leave the kit's texture. I've made some patterns, based loosely on the real covers ... and have experimented with Aluminum foil, Tissue soaked in diluted white glue, First aid tape and now, plastic grocery bags.

This is the paper pattern and Aluminum foil taped to the PLSS.

2v2J9ymC5xAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9ymDWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9ymmnxAnAAS.jpg

... and tissue paper soaked in glue and applied. The textures just aren't there yet ... so I'm gonna just keep fartin' around with it.

2v2J9ym5gxAnAAS.jpg

The waist belt clips for the PLSS.

2v2J9ymSFxAnAAS.jpg

... and the leg pockets. these were made with thick aluminum 'foil' from the lid of a frozen lasagna package. So were the penlight pockets on the shoulders. You can also see the pocket's belts made from 'coarse' first aid tape.

2v2J9ymfCxAnAAS.jpg

Then the OPS. The flaps are made with the same thick 'foil'.

2v2J9ymtGxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9ym7qxAnAAS.jpg

The 'snaps' are just straight pins, snipped.

2v2J9ymkLxAnAAS.jpg

Edited by K2Pete

On the RCU, I added the hardware to the side and covered it with first aid tape and gave it a coat of white paint.

2v2J9ymqVxAnAAS.jpg

After making the decals, I applied 'em to the OPS and the RCU, camera and the wrist checklist. I've also attached the clips to the back of the RCU. Notice, on the OPS, the little 'D' rings too ...

2v2J9ymdCxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9ymg4xAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9ymGTxAnAAS.jpg

This is the torso as it stands ... no pun intended. The LEVA helmet will be the next update. The 2 visors didn't fit. The 'gold' one was too small to fit over the lower clear one. And it took me quite some time to figger out a solution. Plus, I had to determine a way to get the head in, THEN the visors or vice versa ... I think I've got it figgered out.

2v2J9ymcFxAnAAS.jpg

So it's on to the LEVA, and the hoses, which'll be the last little bit of construction, then apply some decalled red stripes, flags, and then dirty up the moon suit.

I really appreciate your comments, guys. Thanx very much!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

This is really a very cool build.

Amazing work and very cool that you are doing the later missions. Can't tell from the patch on the suit, what mission did you go with in the end? Saw the picture of Irwin so is this Apollo 15?

Keep the updates coming!

-Zach

Amazing work and very cool that you are doing the later missions. Can't tell from the patch on the suit, what mission did you go with in the end? Saw the picture of Irwin so is this Apollo 15?

Keep the updates coming!

-Zach

From the patch it looks like it's Apollo 17.

Great job no this! I'd almost forgotten about your 1/32 scale Lunar Rover, it too was awesome (starting to see a pattern here, seems like you make awesome models) I agree, I think it would be cool to do a photoshop image with both models or even a forced perspective diorama using the small buggy.

Keep it up, getting closer to the finish line.

Bill

Keep the updates coming!

-Zach

Looks like Gene Cernan from here ;)

amazing work, following this closely.

Pascal, I'm pleased that you signed up just to respond to this thread! :lol: And I'm curious about the final result too!

And let me welcome you to this terrific site! :wave:

Spitfire Guy, Zach, all you hafta do is read my posts ... I mean, I do try to keep the verbiage down to a minimum ... :whistle:

... my posting # 35 ... " ... as I'm building a 'J' mission suit, (Apollo 17's Gene Cernan) these RCU clips are appropriate for this suit.... "

Jay, this won't depict a specific moment in an EVA. But this model is evolving every day. I'm not planning on attaching tools or sample bags to the PLSS but am going to attach a sample bag harness. "Cernan" will be posed going up a slight incline, so I'll take another 'boo' at the EVA films and see if there's a specific point I can depict. But as he wears a sample bag on his EVA's, I may just hafta make one for him.

Guys, I do wanna thank you for the very, very kind words. I mean, 'amazing', 'stunning', 'awesome' ... really do blow me away! :salute:

For me, this is just another opportunity to experiment. I've tried Vac-forming for the 1st time, I've used aluminum foil (thick and thin), Rubber Cement, CA glue, Milliput, a couple of clear plastic blister packs, 2 types of First Aid tape, a 'plastic' grocery bag, Aluminum sheet, and it all seems to be working together!

I'm just as 'pleased as punch'! :D

Thanx for looking gents!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

I'll just add my kudos: This build article is invaluable to me!

I have the kit in my stash, with the basic body work complete. I've downloaded every pic to help in finishing this guy off. Just seeing the way you made the hose connectors is fabulous. I may stick with the earlier suit version, maybe as Pete Conrad?

Thanx again!

:coolio: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)

Thanx Les! Those hose connectors will be covered with a thermal cover, so you may not even need to go to the trouble of building 'em.

The visors are gonna be simplified. After viewing a couple of hours of EVA footage, Mr Cernan has his 'gold' visor up only rarely. So, on the model, I'm not gonna install the head, or the clear visor under the Gold one.

And I hafta paint the scenery on the INside of the clear visor and may even forego the gold tint. I've made a few tests and I'll hafta take my time on this. With the paint on the INside, the clear surface is nice and reflective.

2v2J9yTfgxAnAAS.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the way the PLSS turned out. Using a grocery bag, and attached with Rubber Cement, it looks pretty good ... if I do say so myself! :rolleyes:

2v2J9yTVLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yTLGxAnAAS.jpg

With decals, velcro and pin heads applied. The velcro is just first aid tape.

2v2J9yTPgxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yTDnxAnAAS.jpg

And with the OPS attached. The two stripes on the sides of the flag aren't there yet, 'cuz I've been having problems with Bare Metal's Expert's Choice decal paper. What a pain. <_<

2v2J9yT6nxAnAAS.jpg

And with the sample bag harness installed.

2v2J9yT7hxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yTmVxAnAAS.jpg

And, after viewing all that footage, I did decide to show the sample bag too. It's made outta household aluminum foil. Really, really fragile stuff!

2v2J9yTdgxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yTGFxAnAAS.jpg

These are hooks that go into the 'D' rings of the harness.

2v2J9yT5GxAnAAS.jpg

... and attached to the PLSS ... dry fit, I still hafta paint it.

2v2J9yTWqxAnAAS.jpg

Not too much more to go on this puppy. The visor, the hoses and the base, which I've just started on.

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Every so often a model build comes along that just grabs you and makes you impatient for the next update. This is one of those and your use of different techniques is very inspiring and definitely filed away for the future.

Absolutely love what you've achieved so far.

Pete