Astronaut on the Moon build

Pete W ... is it ever nice to hear what you said. Thanx alot!

And thanx again gents ... the comments are much appreciated!

A quick update ...

I attached the painted visor to the LEVA and then to the torso. A strip of First Aid tape is around the bottom of the LEVA helmet which is part of the helmet assembly. Notice also the Chronometer, Pressure Gauge and Checklist on the left arm.

2v2J9ySeGxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9ySaWxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9ySELxAnAAS.jpg

And this back view shows the patch of Chromel (?) ...

2v2J9ySp5xAnAAS.jpg

I also have the base started. It's a couple pieces of drywall, with some drywall filler spread on top and given a lunar surface texture. You can see the little boot sole that I had to make to create the one boot imprint. As well, the peg in the other footprint will fit thru a hole in the boot and hold the astronaut nice and firmly.

Chiseling the drywall to create a bit of an incline ...

2v2J9ySQqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yS9FxAnAAS.jpg

Next will be the decal stripes, attaching the PLSS and camera and then the hoses and I can call it 'done' ... I think.

This is still a fun build! :yahoo:

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanx Steve. It's a hoot to see something around the house and after giving it some thought, realize that it would replicate such-and-such perfectly.

I received a replacement White decal sheet from Bare Metal, (thanx Randy!) and was able to make the red stripes, and otherwise proceed.

The hammer, which'll just protrude from "Cernan's" leg pocket.

2v2J9ySyTxAnAAS.jpg

And then start to make and install the hoses. I tried a few things to make 'em, clotheshanger wire, old telephone wire and they were just too inflexible. I would need something which'll bend in small increments to get to fit. I settled on 5 or 6 lengths of copper wire wrapped in First Aid tape. It worked quite nicely! It was also quite a puzzle to try to figger out just where they all go.

2v2J9ySWhxAnAAS.jpg

First hose ...

2v2J9ySiSxAnAAS.jpg

All of 'em ...

2v2J9ySTLxAnAAS.jpg

And an added 'problem' is the drywall I used for the base. It has all these little fibreglass fibres sticking out ... so they'll all hafta be cut, or melted or removed somehow.

2v2J9ySkTxAnAAS.jpg

And after I dry fit the figure onto the base, I realized the base's angle was way too shallow. The Astronaut figure looked odd. So I increased the angle of the base ... and after thinking about using more drywall, or wood wedges, I saw some stryofoam and thought I'd give this a try!

2v2J9ySnLxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9ySFWxAnAAS.jpg

Well, on my punch list, I've got 7 things left to do on this. It should get done in the next few days.

Thanx for looking in!

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Thanx very much gents!

I'm getting down to the short strokes now ... the parts assembly is done. Most of the detailing is done I just need to spray some moon dust over it ... which, I'll be honest, I'm a little apprehensive about ... but I wanna see how it all turns out, moondust 'weathering' and all!.

The Hose connector covers were made from thick aluminum sheet and formed and fit onto the connectors.

2v2J9yVWLxAnAAS.jpg

And here's how it looks all buttoned up, but without moondust sprayed on ... gimme another couple days for the final version. :whistle: :D

This depicts Cernan on EVA 3, at the end of his stay on the lunar surface, at Station 6, at "The Boulder" and during a discussion between him and Schmitt, Cernan states ... "You betcha! I don't know if I can lean uphill enough! I can't. Holey smoley! Boy, are we on a slope!"

2v2J9yVPqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yVRGxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yVYgxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yV6CxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yVAFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yVidxAnAAS.jpg

The next post will show some details that may get obliterated after the moondust gets applied.

Edited by K2Pete
Replaced an image

Here some pix of the details.

I hafta say, I'm quite happy with the way this turned out. For me, the learning experience, about the moon suit, is the biggest thing I'll take away. With each Space model I complete, I'm more fascinated with the designers and engineers who built these contraptions so well ... and within such a tight timeframe. To try to replicate it is the fun of it!

A top view. Shows the velcro patches on the OPS, on the back of the LEVA helmet, hoses and straps from the helmet ...

2v2J9yVgyxAnAAS.jpg

A top view from the other side with the harness around the PLSS. And a bottom view showing the harness wrapping along the bottom of the PLSS

2v2J9yVCFxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yV1gxAnAAS.jpg

The hoses and flaps on the PLSS backpack ... just to the left of the NASA decal, on the PLSS, you can see the metal wire connector for the harness ...

2v2J9yVVnxAnAAS.jpg

A view of the left arm showing the watch, Pressure Gauge, checklist ( note the tabs on each sheet) and on the glove, I've made a flap on the back of the gloves which covers the adjusting strap for the glove.

2v2J9yVTWxAnAAS.jpg

And showing the RCU and camera details, velcro on the little pocket on the arm ... and notice the buckles on the upper thigh pocket ...

2v2J9yVcGxAnAAS.jpg

The buckles on the boots were scratched too.

2v2J9yVbCxAnAAS.jpg

And the last one ... for now. On the camera, I think the CDR decal is misplaced, it should be on the lower 'box', but I'm not sure. Plus it may be too late, Future may have already been applied and sealed the decal.

2v2J9yV4LxAnAAS.jpg

The next post will show the finished model, with the moondust applied, and seeing as it was at the end of 3, 6 or 7 hour excursions, these astronauts got pretty dusty.

I hope I have the heart! :pray:

Pete

Edited by K2Pete
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, this past few weeks have just been ... co-rappy. The not-so-good news (family related) really took the wind outta my modeling sails. I haven't even visited any of my regular sites in the past little while ... it looks like I've got some catching up to do.

Thanx for the nice comments guys ... it meant more than you'll ever know. :thumbsup:

But here's some pix of the model with the moondust applied. The velcro patches have some weathering applied too. The red ID stripes were oversprayed and I just used a little thinner on a Q-tip to reveal some of the colour.

2v2J9yVznxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yhoqxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yVjgxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yh3dxAnAAS.jpg

I started applying the paint using an old earphone 'foamy' using a lot of photo refs. Initially, I overdid it, and I walked away from it for awhile 'cuz I thought I ruined it. But after cooling off for a couple weeks, and realizing that it's just paint ... I made some repairs and just had to spray on some white and then a little grey to even it out.

2v2J9yVr5xAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yVqGxAnAAS.jpg

I replaced a couple homemade decals because of some overspray ...

2v2J9yVMGxAnAAS.jpg

It doesn't seem to show up here, but almost the whole figure has a light grey coat on it. These 2 astronauts got really covered in the stuff.

So it's done, and I'm quite happy with the way it tuned out. I've learned a heckuva lot from this build and hope, in the near future, to get another kit like this, and build 'Cernan's' lunar companion.

2v2J9yhJGxAnAAS.jpg

2v2J9yhuWxAnAAS.jpg

Thanx for looking in gents ...

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Pete,

That is one great build, loved watching it all unfold and your method of doing some things is locked away in the memory banks.

I guess modelling will and should always come secondary to family issues and I wish you well with yours.

Top quality though, like it a lot.

Pete

Mmmm, I kind of wish you had done Apollo 12 for either Pete or Al as the arm checklist would have been (ahem) eye catching. ;)

Seriously though, this is outstanding work, museum quality (or better) for certain. I know Geno would get floored by it if he saw it.

Thanx very much guys. All your comments are appreciated very, very much!

Jay, I actually sent pix of this and my Gemini 9A (remember that one?) to Mr Cernan, thru his website, while asking for info on just how dusty they actually got on the moon ... but needless to say, haven't heard back from him. :rolleyes:

And as far as Mr Conrad goes, I'm pretty sure all the astros had some kind of 'smut' on their checklists :whistle::rofl:

... onto the next one ... ;)

Pete