Academy 1/72 P-51D Mustang

Just a quick question for all you Mustang experts. I have been given an Academy P-51D and am wanting to know if it is any good or are there any glaring mistakes that I should be aware of.

Thanks. :mellow:

If it's one of the newer Academy kits then it should be a great little kit. Fit's probably near perfect and really good detail for something that size. I don't know about accuracies as far as the real thing goes so if you're concerned with that hopefully someone else can help you.

One thing too look out for - initial issues had seven exhaust stacks per side instead of the correct six. This was rectified in later boxings.

Apart from a slightly bulbous nose and a somewhat iffy canopy shape, when finished you won't mistake it for anything but a P-51D - I'd say, build your gift and enjoy it.

HTH,

Andre

Academy D dont share the nice details and shapes from their newest releases B or C Mustangs. Its an older mould. The weak points are a big nose with weird propeller, an overdone riveting surfaces in the engine zone, and a too much rounded dorsal fin. Its a good subject if you fix these issues, Im planning to build one early D without the dorsal fin.

Bye for now...

Academy D dont share the nice details and shapes from their newest releases B or C Mustangs. Its an older mould.

Thanks for the info!!

I was planning to build "LOU IV" in the near future using the Academy D kit... so I will switch to another brand.

Anyone knows if the RoG P-51D is a new mould.. as good as their B version?

Edited by oldcrow

If you are referring to the recently released Revell 1/72 P-51D kit (#80-4148), it is an old mold, not nearly the same level of detail as their newer B kit. I would not recommend the kit unless you're looking for a cheap, quick build.

To add on JasonW's response, the only 'own brand' 1/72 P-51D that Revell did dates back to the mid 60s and its shape is bloody awful!

When do you need a really beautiful (and accurate) 1/72 scale Mustang you have only two choices - Tamiya or Hasegawa (DT series). Tamiya have deeper landing gear bay, but Hasegawa have this parts with more details. Tamiya is a newest kit, but both are very nice. Tamiya make F-51D from Korean War too (have parts for HVAR rockets and 250lb bombs).

Agree... For D, Tamiya or Hasegawa are the best by far.

If you wish a cheap build, then you have Academy or Italeri (this needs to add some missed panels) and it includes Korean War parts. But both are a lot of steps under the two japanese kits.

Bye for now...