Not sure if I'm ever going to get my F4U-4 diorama done. I've got all the stuff just haven't done it yet and can't motivate myself too. Not sure why. Anyway my friend wanted an E-2 Hawkeye built so he bought the kit and a slew of aftermarkets for it. Just got the colored cokpit pe today so I'm going to get started on it soon. I've heard this is a daunting kit so I'm not sure if I'll get it done in time for the GB but figured I'd put it here. This will be several firsts for me. First colored pe, metal landing gear, and first time using the Steel Beach intake covers. Hopefully things go smoothly.

Suggestions on the kit are appreciated.

DSCN3194.jpg

K

Edited by Bigasshammm

Good Luck...watch your parts carefully. None of the aircraft on your decal sheet is an HE2K...no CEC antenna on the bottom of the fuselage, different antenna pattern on the bottom and you'll need to add the AMR mast above/behind the copilot.

Looking forward to seeing it!

Spongebob

Good Luck...watch your parts carefully. None of the aircraft on your decal sheet is an HE2K...no CEC antenna on the bottom of the fuselage, different antenna pattern on the bottom and you'll need to add the AMR mast above/behind the copilot.

Looking forward to seeing it!

Spongebob

This build will not be "accurate" as far as being the right version and whatever. He wants the 8 blade plane with the decals that have the flag/flames on the nose. Plus he wants to add the shark teeth decals to the engines. It'll look like an E-2c 2000 though so that's what he wants.

Anyway what a pita this kit is. Could the instructions be any more difficult?

Plus I start using the Eduard exterior set and the instructions don't match the PE sheets included. Found the right instructions online but still was a headache.

I will say though that the colored cockpit PE set was a dream and it almost makes me feel dirty using something like that. It's like cheating.

DSCN3197.jpg

DSCN3198.jpg

DSCN3200.jpg

DSCN3202.jpg

And the additions to the nose gear bay...

DSCN3195.jpg

DSCN3196.jpg

Prop that's an awesome picture.

Bigasshammm,

Great progress so far. The cockpit is a work of art. I can see one of these kits in my future and will continue to watch the WIP with interest.

-Denis

Thanks. The cockpit was the easiest pit I've probably ever done. These colored PE sheets really make things easy.

The kit is kind of an oddity. It's beautifully done and the fit of everything has been good so far. That said though the instructions are just awful and I never knew until now truly what "over engineered" meant. It seems there are many spots they could have done easier but chose not to. The engine nacelles and landing bays are an example. There's something like 20 parts in there and they all have to be done properly or it won't fit. But the instructions basically just show you the parts and where they go. lol

Guess we'll see how it all turns out in the end.

Looks great so far! :salute: The Eduard colored PE is amazing stuff, and no, you're not cheating by using it, any more than you are by using decals instead of masking off and painting all the markings yourself. ;)

Thanks all. Got the second engine and gear done. Might add them to the inner wing surface soon. We're still searching for weighting material for the nose. Would love to get some shotgun pellets but don't know anywhere around that sells them. I guess I could just get shotgun shells and cut them open no?

Basically keeping me from closing up the fuselage. Moving along quite quickly actually.

Go to wall mart and get some pellet gun ammo its cheap .Get the lead BB's thats what i use (the parachute pelet can work too but you get less weight per space used)

Go to wall mart and get some pellet gun ammo its cheap .Get the lead BB's thats what i use (the parachute pelet can work too but you get less weight per space used)

Good call just got a package of 500 pellets.

It was all they had that was lead. The BBs were copper plated and not nearly as heavy.

Now to cram as many into the nose and behind the cockpit as possible. Hope this metal nose gear leg holds up.

The metal gear will hold up fine. Just make sure you put plenty of weight in this sucker. Are you folding the wings? If so, it requires a lot of weight. I put in 90 grams of lead, and it still wasn't enough to keep it from being a tail-sitter. The folded wings add a lot of weight behind the main landing gear.

Good luck!

The metal gear will hold up fine. Just make sure you put plenty of weight in this sucker. Are you folding the wings? If so, it requires a lot of weight. I put in 90 grams of lead, and it still wasn't enough to keep it from being a tail-sitter. The folded wings add a lot of weight behind the main landing gear.

Good luck!

Yeah I've got a ton in there already and it still doesn't feel like enough. Wings will be back so we know that it will take a bit. I think I'm going to take a plastic card and close up the entry door to the cockpit then stand it on it's nose and drop in as many lead pellets as I feel comfortable with.

Here's where she is at the start of today. Finally got the fuselage closed up yesterday. All that's left of the minor assemblies is I have another wing to put together and sand then I'll be pretty close to getting her joined up. Seems like some fit issues with the big parts. i.e wing to fuselage and tail etc. After all that the arduous task of painting will begin. At least the main bulk of it is single tone grey. Just all the gear bays and red flaps will take a lot of masking.

DSCN3211.jpg

DSCN3212.jpg

"Just all the gear bays and red flaps will take a lot of masking."

Don't think of it as a lot of masking but,rather an opportunity, to use up the old masking tape, allowing you to buy new, so you, can stimulate the U.S.economy--What a guy!! roll.gif

p.s. great work so far and good luck with the weight thing

• 2 weeks later...

Camera's awol again so use your "mind's eye"!

Got everything together. Engines are mounted to wings. Canopy mounted and painted on the inside. Wings are all glued together and sanded. Just running up the compressor now to spray the red for the insides of the flaps. After that I'll go about mounting the middle wing surface to the fuselage. I'll also try to tackle the nose gear today. Looks complicated since the instructions don't really show anything.

Some fit issues with the engine nacelles to the wings. Quite a step there. I sanded it down about as much as I feel like. It's not going to be dead on perfect without losing all that detail and I can't scribe a straight line to save my life.

The fit of the wing to fuselage looks bad in the back. Thankfully the radome will be on and that will hide a lot as well.

I crammed as much weight in there as I could without it breaking free. Also stuffed some tissue in to hopefully keep any that break lose from rattling.

Soon as I find camera I'll take pics.

you are building this one with wings folded right !!!

Yes sir

Before you start I've seen several sources that say that flaps are extended when the wings are folded back. And even if they aren't it'll add a flash of color to an otherwise dull subject.

Edited by Bigasshammm

Wow, what part of the kit needs a wrench that big? Or is that for smashing it to bits later on? ('Cause there's at least one moment in every build where you feel like doing that, right? :bandhead2: )

Looks great with the paint starting to go on! :thumbsup:

Ha that wrench gets more comments.

That's my official "paint bottle opener". I give it a whack first with the ole muscles and if that doesn't work then boom. Gets the lids off every time. Although it's actually a bit small for the larger Tamiya bottles so it makes it somewhat difficult.

No one other than me ever has their paint lids fused shut?