AMARG Boneyard Tour

Hey all, finally lived out a dream of mine since i was a little kid and made a trip to the Boneyard at Davis-Monthan! Awesome but sad place. Literally ALL the Tomcats have been cut up except the museum pieces... I only spotted a small group way in the back of one of the storage areas. The tour director told us they were all scrapped due to Iran :( Dont know if that small group was being held for future museum pieces or they havent got to those yet. Oh well. Anyways, heres where i posted the pics....

Boneyard Pics

I plan on going back this X-Mas so we'll see if anything has changed. Hope there arent any new comers!

Man, it's interesting to see some Montana ANG F-15's in that bunch, seeing that the just recently got them...Must've been really close to max time when they transferred. Some great pics in there...Thank's for sharing them. That's one of my "to do" sites too.

Aaron

Man, it's interesting to see some Montana ANG F-15's in that bunch, seeing that the just recently got them...Must've been really close to max time when they transferred. Some great pics in there...Thank's for sharing them. That's one of my "to do" sites too.

Aaron

I may be wrong but i think i read that Montana ANG's F-15s were all deactivated soon after they got them.

Great photos. You must have a nice camera!

Cool to see that the group of Toms that you shot is exactly the same group that I took a couple of photos of last summer (July 2010), so no more of them were cut up!

Hope they all survive to go to museums somewhere.

Thanks for posting those pictures.

Its funny, I have never seen any F-111s there, have they already been scrapped?

Robert

Nope, they're still there. Check the fairly recent (march 11) Google Earth photos at 32.09.41.81N, 110.49.47.97W, and scroll to the south!

Now that the Aussies got rid of theirs, there is little reason to keep such a large fleet of Aardvarks me thinks. Probably be axed soon.

Robert

As stated by Pollie, there are some there. I added some pictures from my trip to AMARG last summer into the F-111 research thread...

My link

Those were great shots!

A few notices:

- I see they've got some of the Janet 737s. Hmmmm....wonder what they're using now? ;)

- Was that the windscreen frame from the B-2 that crashed at Anderson?

- Sad to see so many Tucson Viper tails there. I remember several of those from when they were still flyin'. :(

Edited by SimFixer

- I see they've got some of the Janet 737s. Hmmmm....wonder what they're using now? ;)

The old Janet 737-200's and 300's have been replaced by some cute little 737-600's (supplemented by some Beech 1900D's). Ironically, the 600's are all used airframes from Chinese airlines. Hope they swept them good for bugs!

The B-2 part looks like some sort of tooling fixture or ground test fixture (maybe a window RCS test fixture?). Looks like it's built out of steel.

Interesting to see the H-model BUFF's. The AF had a huge struggle to retire those. For many years, the AF was prevented from retiring any H's by a Public Law (drafted by the North Dakota Congressional Delegation) that mandated the AF operate 94 B-52H's (but only funded 82). It literally took and ACT of Congress to retire our H model from active flight status and transfer it to the schoolhouse at Sheppard.

Edited by EDWMatt

There's something seriously disconcerting to see aircraft that were designed, built, and entered service during your lifetime being retired.

I wish I had a Buckeye.

Or an S-3. Throw the family in that one and go for a ride somewhere...Just not sure if you leave the kid's seats pinned. And which way would the car seat face?

There's something seriously disconcerting to see aircraft that were designed, built, and entered service during your lifetime being retired.

I wish I had a Buckeye.

Or an S-3. Throw the family in that one and go for a ride somewhere...Just not sure if you leave the kid's seats pinned. And which way would the car seat face?

A flying mini-van...that would be awesome! Knowing my kids, the older one would rig the command-eject system and punch his little brother out as soon as we got to cruise altitude.

-Mike

Wow...I didn't think the Seahawk had been in service long enough to have some of them retired already. And there's a lot of A-6's there...I thought most of them had been placed in museums or sunk as artificial reefs by now.

-Mike

Robert

Yes there was a good amount of them. For some reason i dont think i got any good shots of them. Im an ex-Navy guy so of course my attention was on the Navy-Marine stuff, Air Force second lol

Think that's the first time I've seen a Prowler there! Great pics, thanks for sharing!!! :thumbsup:

There SHOULD be some more Prowlers there because of VAQ-129 getting outta the Prowler training business. I know they transferred a lot of birds and i saw somewhere a few were going to the boneyard.

Those were great shots!

A few notices:

- Sad to see so many Tucson Viper tails there. I remember several of those from when they were still flyin'. :(

The B-2 part is the main tooling to make the windscreen. Not from the crashed bird. I got a feeling there wasnt much of that bird left anyways lol. Towards the back of one of the yards in a huge section with nothing but aircraft part tooling and the director pointed out the B-2 part.

Maybe i can find the Tomcat tooling in there, go to Lowes, and break out my screwdriver and wrench and get to work! lol